Players on trial

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

ReeceStyche’sManbun
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Players on trial

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:46 am

Surely we should be getting news about players sooner rather than later...

Wheater could be happening according to Darlo_CR which would be great,

We’ve had Kevin Dos Santos on trial from tadcaster who’s apparently impressed,

Rumours of Danny Graham who I can’t see happening, Lee Novak would be someone I’d look at if possible. Also a name which I’m gonna throw into the mix is Nathan Thomas, I believe he’s a free agent at the moment(probably wrong like), a local lad could have a point to prove, even with Darlo fans as he had that loan spell and was quite bad.

Does anyone else have any info as it’s getting a bit close for comfort now not gonna lie.

Darlogramps

Players on trial

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:01 am

Clearly the Covid cases in the squad have had an impact. AA will have wanted to look more at triallists in pre-season before making a decision but clearly that’s not been able to happen.

And he’s been waiting on decisions from the likes of O’Neill (and potentially Wheater) or Sousa earlier in the window which will have affected things too.

I think right now, we could field a pretty competitive starting XI: Taylor; Griffiths, Beeden, Storey, Smith; Wheatley, Hatfield, Purver; Mondal, Charman, Rivers.

We have a squad of 14 (including Joey Hope, Lucas Martin and Ben Hedley) right now so we undoubtedly need about four or five more players (centre back, CM cover and more forward options), particularly as this season has the potential to be quite disrupted with players getting pinged etc.

Would imagine once we’ve had a few pre-season games, we will see some more incomings. And we might even see some younger players, like Rhys Armstrong making more of a step up this season.

Not overly concerned at this point as still a couple of weeks to go, but clearly things haven’t gone as well as AA would have wanted in pre-season.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:09 am

The major concern I have with leaving signings to the last minute is that we get off to a slow start...again. I can't remember when we had a flying start to a season, and Alun's teams (even at Blyth) we slow starters. I know its the financial situation we are in, but I can't see us getting off to a good start with key signings still to be made. I hope I am wrong of course.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:50 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:09 am
The major concern I have with leaving signings to the last minute is that we get off to a slow start...again. I can't remember when we had a flying start to a season, and Alun's teams (even at Blyth) we slow starters. I know its the financial situation we are in, but I can't see us getting off to a good start with key signings still to be made. I hope I am wrong of course.
I think you raise a good point and I agree with your concerns about not having a squad that is settled or strong in depth. What is a bit different this season is that there is not such a frantic start in terms of the number of games in the first few weeks of the season. A few more additions will surely be imminent but it may be wise to hold some cash back in case some players become available after failing to land full time contracts.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:26 am

I think how well we do next season, ultimately depends on our next 5 signings. That might sound blatantly obvious, but it will depend if these next signings are just squad players, or can genuinely make a different to the starting 11. We need:
  • A dominant centre-half (David Wheater or Jake Lawlor etc)
  • Another central midfield player (back-up to Hatfield, Wheatley & Purver)
  • A winger to replace the pace and creativity of Campbell, Sousa & Donawa (which we benefitted from last season)
  • A couple of centre-forwards, one of which must be proven at this level (Tyrone O'Neill/Jordan Cook etc)

Darlogramps

Players on trial

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:05 am

Kevin Dos Santos has now signed. Very much in the Sousa mould by the looks of things.

Cole Kiernan was on trial but seems like Colchester are taking a look at him too, so he may not be involved tomorrow.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:59 pm

AA also mentioned Tyrone is on trial at Scunthorpe at present. Suppose we have Tony McMahon to thank for that but you can’t blame the lad for trying to stay full time.
Sounds like there are still offers in for several players who are still exploring their options but as AA says not quite as critical as previously because the games don’t come so thick and fast at the start of the season.