Reminder Fans Forum tonight

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Reminder Fans Forum tonight

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:53 pm

We will miss Campbell this season. He was very good for us in terms of both scoring and creating chances, could play a lot of minutes and was relatively versatile.

Maguire was a funny one. He did quite well when he played, but missed quite a lot of games injured. He was probably at the top end of the wage structure so we probably were not getting optimum value.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:12 pm

Maguire also had persistent injury problems when he was with York. He seems to be at his happiest, best and fittest at Blyth.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:32 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:53 pm
We will miss Campbell this season. He was very good for us in terms of both scoring and creating chances, could play a lot of minutes and was relatively versatile.

Maguire was a funny one. He did quite well when he played, but missed quite a lot of games injured. He was probably at the top end of the wage structure so we probably were not getting optimum value.
For me a fully fit Nelson is a better option than either Campbell or Maguire. The important thing is fully fit I grant you but he sounds confident in his interview that he is fully recovered and just needs to pick up fitness to be back to his best.🤞

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:37 pm

At our level, and with our budgetary constraints, we have to take gambles.

Maguire didn't pay off, but Nelson might well.

Fingers crosssed!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:42 pm

The big test for Lord Nelson will come when the lumbering, clogging giants of a ship like Alfreton come steaming in with all guns blazing :wtf: Hopefully this Nelson knows how to dodge a bullet!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:54 pm

Old Git wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

For me a fully fit Nelson is a better option than either Campbell or Maguire. The important thing is fully fit I grant you but he sounds confident in his interview that he is fully recovered and just needs to pick up fitness to be back to his best.Image
Agree with you OG, for me I thought Maguire was disappointing and possibly injuries caught up with him, but not bothered in the least he is now at Blyth.A fit Andrew Nelson any day of the week over Campbell and Maguire.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:08 pm

We could still have had Campbell here, and there would have been adequate budget to sign Nelson. To say that you would rather have Nelson (who hasn’t played in a year) over Campbell AND Maguire is just a little biased, IMO.

We are where we are and hopefully we can get Nelson fully fit and scoring goals, along with Charman as the main centre-forward.

Darlogramps

Reminder Fans Forum tonight

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:40 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:We could still have had Campbell here, and there would have been adequate budget to sign Nelson. To say that you would rather have Nelson (who hasn’t played in a year) over Campbell AND Maguire is just a little biased, IMO.
I would use the word bitter. I think a few of our fans can’t handle a player leaving for another club, which is what we’re seeing here.

Campbell was one of our best players over the last couple of years and no one can argue that either Cassidy or a recovering Nelson is an upgrade on him.

As I’ve said previously, we’re taking a risk with this forward line. Nelson is recovering from a serious injury, Cassidy doesn’t have a brilliant record and Charman’s injury record isn’t great either (plus I don’t think his form last season was quite as good as some made out).

They all could come good, and I hope they do. But I would say all three have points to prove.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:54 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:40 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:We could still have had Campbell here, and there would have been adequate budget to sign Nelson. To say that you would rather have Nelson (who hasn’t played in a year) over Campbell AND Maguire is just a little biased, IMO.
I would use the word bitter. I think a few of our fans can’t handle a player leaving for another club, which is what we’re seeing here.

Campbell was one of our most best players over the last couple of years and no one can argue that either Cassidy or a recovering Nelson is an upgrade on him.

As I’ve said previously, we’re taking a risk with this forward line. Nelson is recovering from a serious injury, Cassidy doesn’t have a brilliant record and Charman’s injury record isn’t great either (plus I don’t think his form last season was quite as good as some made out).

They all could come good, and I hope they do. But I would say all three have points to prove.
Hit the nail on the head.

You would rather have Campbell in there as some form of assurance based on his track record at this level that he scores goals, creates goals and stays (relatively) injury free.

Make no bones about it, losing Campbell, Sousa & Maguire is/was a blow (listed in the order of impact). Hopefully their replacements can step-up to the mark along with Charman playing a more prominent role this season.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:17 pm

We are where we are and hopefully we can get Nelson fully fit and scoring goals, along with Charman as the main centre-forward.
Don't get me wrong I liked Campbell but was disappointed with Maguire, albeit he did not play that many games for us but even so am not that gutted he left for Blyth.What I am saying is my preference is a fit Nelson over Maguire and Campbell.Its all about opinions and this is mine.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:12 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:

Campbell missed far, far too many chances. He was decent, but not irreplaceable.

Sousa is a massive miss, and if Maguire is still capable of producing the form of 2 or 3 seasons ago, that's a case of "we missed out there"

If Nelson hit's the form he is capable of, and is fit, then his time at Darlo will only be transient. So either way, there's a lot of weight on Cassidy and Charman's shoulders.

I think Charman needs a couple of goals early doors to get him up and running and boost his confidence.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:28 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

Whilst I agree that some people can be petty or bitter, or as you like to phrase it "well I never fancied her anyway", it is not always the case that people are bitter when they say losing so and so is not so much of a loss.

Campbell for example, I literally didn't care when he signed for Gateshead. He missed too many chances for me. That's not me rewriting history because I'm butt hurt that he's went to another cub, I've always thought he was wasteful.

That's not to say that he *won't* be a loss either - for example if his replacement is not as good. But when he went, it was an "oh well, see you then" from me.

I understand where you're coming from re Maguire and people saying "well he did nowt and he's no loss" because obviously he has proven pedigree and you might think "we might have missed out here", but even so, people saying "he didn't do much, no loss" aren't necessarily bitter - they might just be calling it as they see it.

But the likes of Reid, Watson were just squad players at best, I always said Liddle isn't a great defender - no reason at all why any of them would be missed or can't be replaced with equal or better. Atkinson, Holmes - permanently injured, we don't really have any point of reference to say either way.

Saltmer and Hunt, they were "alright" but again, you can't blame the manager for thinking that he can improve upon them. No bitterness to suggest that they aren't a big loss if they're replaced.

The only absolute loss for me is Sousa. Maybe Maguire if he hits form again and we're wondering what might have been. Maybe Campbell if the likes of Mondal & Cassidy don't live up to what he did.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:58 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:12 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

Campbell missed far, far too many chances. He was decent, but not irreplaceable.

Sousa is a massive miss, and if Maguire is still capable of producing the form of 2 or 3 seasons ago, that's a case of "we missed out there"

If Nelson hit's the form he is capable of, and is fit, then his time at Darlo will only be transient. So either way, there's a lot of weight on Cassidy and Charman's shoulders.

I think Charman needs a couple of goals early doors to get him up and running and boost his confidence.
Campbell will be a much bigger miss than people think. Pushed out wide a lot last season but still returned a good number of goals & assists.

You say that he is not irreplaceable, but I do not see any of our current squad hitting his level of creativity and scoring 10+ (non-penalty) goals.

People will realise this once the season starts.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:40 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Whilst I agree that some people can be petty or bitter, or as you like to phrase it "well I never fancied her anyway", it is not always the case that people are bitter when they say losing so and so is not so much of a loss.
It’s not ALWAYS the case. But in the example of Quakerman2, it is.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:00 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:58 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Campbell will be a much bigger miss than people think. Pushed out wide a lot last season but still returned a good number of goals & assists.

You say that he is not irreplaceable, but I do not see any of our current squad hitting his level of creativity and scoring 10+ (non-penalty) goals.

I'll just point out that Campbell never scored 10+ (non-penalty) goals in either season for us. As for assists, it's easier to assist than score - so Michael Owen reckons.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:42 pm

IMO Campbell massively overrated by some on this forum but it is all about opinions. Lets see what happens.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:07 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:00 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:58 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

I'll just point out that Campbell never scored 10+ (non-penalty) goals in either season for us. As for assists, it's easier to assist than score - so Michael Owen reckons.
He did in 19/20 - and the season ended early.

So easy to assist that no one ever got on his level.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:33 am

Darlogramps wrote:

Campbell was one of our most best players over the last couple of years and no one can argue that either Cassidy or a recovering Nelson is an upgrade on him.

Good grief, we agree again Darlogramps, could be a good season in prospect!

Campbell will be a huge miss, his footballing brain at times was way ahead of his teammates and they just didn’t see many of his runs. Played in his proper position, alongside a bigger forward in the centre he will always score goals.

Yes, a fit Nelson will be fantastic, but is a gamble that he regains his form and fitness and we need it quickly. Charman has bags of potential and like him a lot but need to see him score consistently in the league. Jury out on Cassidy.

The priority, probably bigger, is that we still don’t have an experienced centre half 2 days before first game!

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:51 am

Campbell was very good for us. And I don't think 4-3-3 suited him that well. Would have said he was the 3rd best player on our books last season behind Hatfield and Sousa.

That being said I also agree with those saying that Nelson could potentially be a better player.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:33 am

Campbell and Sousa will be tough to replace. I feel we've brought in players who potentially could be as good, but there's a some real unknowns in that. If Nelson can get fit and rediscover his form, and if Mondal can find that form he had at Forest Green to begin with then we probably will be very decent going forwards. Hopefully Charman can build on the flashes he showed last season too, and there's also the wildcard of dos Santos too.

The signing of Cassidy, while not the most exciting, could be quite a big one for us. We've at times been too one-dimensional, having to pass our way through teams sitting deep, but he gives us a different option. Even if he doesn't score many, if he can win headers, occupy defenders and create space for the likes of Nelson and Charman, then he will add value to the team.

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:49 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:33 am
Darlogramps wrote:

Good grief, we agree again Darlogramps, could be a good season in prospect!

Campbell will be a huge miss, his footballing brain at times was way ahead of his teammates and they just didn’t see many of his runs. Played in his proper position, alongside a bigger forward in the centre he will always score goals.

Yes, a fit Nelson will be fantastic, but is a gamble that he regains his form and fitness and we need it quickly. Charman has bags of potential and like him a lot but need to see him score consistently in the league. Jury out on Cassidy.

The priority, probably bigger, is that we still don’t have an experienced centre half 2 days before first game!
I think the point you make about Campbell having a good footballing brain is worth underlining. He often made great runs that ended in frustration because other team members were not switched on to the possibility. But when they did Campbell proved to be very decent at turning a good percentage of chances into goals. I see the same capabilities in Nelson, not only from his previous spell but also from his few minutes in preseason. He may be waiting for his body to catch up, but there is clearly nothing wrong with his instinct to create chances for himself and others, so even in a half fit state could offer quite a lot of what we lost when Campbell left.

And yes, we really do need to get more bodies in defence, and hopefully with more experience. I think we all like the idea of the Keegan style with the 'we're going to score one more than you' philosophy but the last couple of seasons have shown that entertaining as this is we could have done with a few more brutal 1-0 and 0-0 scorelines to get us points when our attempts at total football failed.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:18 pm

Interesting that the club don’t see a need for a scout / next team opponent analyst preferring to rely on video footage instead. Stockton Town has just appointed a Head of Scouting and Player Recruitment for their inaugural step 4 season. A progressive club on and off the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk