Match POSTPONED NO JOKE

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Match POSTPONED NO JOKE

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:38 pm

How is the season going to get finished if we are like this in August?

My eldest whos 22 got his second jab today so I doubt a lot of the team will be 2nd jabbed compliant until into September. Cant see Brackley going ahead but hope Im wrong as I bought a train ticket yesterday!

Hard on the club cashflow wise I would have thought.

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Match POSTPONED NO JOKE

Post by Old Git » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:57 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:38 pm
How is the season going to get finished if we are like this in August?

My eldest whos 22 got his second jab today so I doubt a lot of the team will be 2nd jabbed compliant until into September. Cant see Brackley going ahead but hope Im wrong as I bought a train ticket yesterday!

Brackley will go ahead but not next Saturday as the players are in 10 days isolation. A tough one for players and fans having to play Brackley away on a Tuesday night for the second season running. If I remember correctly we were missing players last season through work commitments for this game. Hopefully not such an issue this time around.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:44 am

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Not sure first week of the season is ever the biggest concern cashflow wise given how season tickets work...

I thought it was established last season that until we play our first game of the 21/22 season our players contracts don't actually kick in? If the league starts and we don't is that different (though I am sure it was an FA Cup game last season).

Biggest impact is the disruption to prep against other side's. I am sure it will balance out over the season but it is rotten luck.

Hopefully the players who have contracted the virus are ok. Reading some recent articles it sounds like Anthony Johnson (Chester) barely got through it and he is hardly old.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:03 am

I can see there being lots of midweek games coming up. At least the start of the season doesn't have the usual lots of midweek games. I know some fans grumbled about the lack of midweek games at the start of the season, but now with hindsight it may have been a good thing.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:34 am

Second Covid outbreak in the squad within a month. Either we’re incredibly unlucky, or something is going wrong with our protocols.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:46 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:34 am
Second Covid outbreak in the squad within a month. Either we’re incredibly unlucky, or something is going wrong with our protocols.
Not necessarily anything wrong with our protocols given these players are absolutely free to do anything they would like outside of football given almost all restrictions were scrapped mid-July.

Not too sure what more we can do, unless we encourage players not to car pool, not share a changing room or train socially distanced. All of which aren’t exactly being enforced or Government guidance.

I think we just have to accept that outbreaks are inevitable given the scrapping of restrictions, and we can only hope that the full squad get fully vaccinated and the impact can be mitigated with some basic measures (testing, sanitiser, masks etc).
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:51 am

Darlogramps wrote:
These lads are part time, and have other jobs & contacts elsewhere. It only needs one to pick up the virus and pass it on at training or in car lifts etc. It may be protocols elsewhere that are lacking. Hopefully the cub has picked these infections up promptly enough to avoid further spread. Hope they are all fit and well again soon. :roll:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:51 am

joejaques wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:51 am
Darlogramps wrote:
These lads are part time, and have other jobs & contacts elsewhere. It only needs one to pick up the virus and pass it on at training or in car lifts etc. It may be protocols elsewhere that are lacking. Hopefully the cub has picked these infections up promptly enough to avoid further spread. Hope they are all fit and well again soon. :roll:
Agreed don’t think there is much the club can do now there are no restrictions in the wider society. I have noticed that fewer people are now wearing masks in shops and it seems a lot of people are just behaving as if the pandemic is over. Hopefully all of the players will be getting their 2nd jabs in the next week or two which will mean no need for isolation for the whole squad. However we have had 3 positive test results on this occasion and that would still mean 7 days isolation for those individuals as far as I am aware. Hope everyone involved is ok and does not suffer any long term effects.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:27 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:44 am
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Not sure first week of the season is ever the biggest concern cashflow wise given how season tickets work...

I thought it was established last season that until we play our first game of the 21/22 season our players contracts don't actually kick in? If the league starts and we don't is that different (though I am sure it was an FA Cup game last season).

Biggest impact is the disruption to prep against other side's. I am sure it will balance out over the season but it is rotten luck.

Hopefully the players who have contracted the virus are ok. Reading some recent articles it sounds like Anthony Johnson (Chester) barely got through it and he is hardly old.
Fair point re cashflow at the start of the season. I meant more the loss of any match income really be it cash at the gate,draws etc.

Hope your right re players contracts, if so we are quids in.

Does anyone know would we be liable for Telfords costs, had they set off?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:31 am

You only have to read Gary Brown's comments to see how this virus can sometimes clobber young and fit people. He's had a tough time of it after two bad bouts of covid.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:14 pm

So if I’ve got this right , as of today, as long as the team has been double jabbed, they don’t have to isolate as long as they are symptom free? Anyone

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:40 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:14 pm
So if I’ve got this right , as of today, as long as the team has been double jabbed, they don’t have to isolate as long as they are symptom free? Anyone
Was wondering the same, I thought it was that double jabbed people wouldn't need to isolate if they had a negative test. As others have said, the majority of the squad is under 30 with plenty under 25, whether they have had chance to have a vaccine then 8 weeks break then vaccine 2 is another question.

The website has the Brackley game labelled as postponed which isn't a great sign. Really hope it isn't though, this and Kettering are as close as it gets for a Hertfordshire exile.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:51 pm

The article on official website said players must isolate for 10 days so that would mean Brackley game definitely off.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:48 pm

But I think the article on the website was misleading regarding isolation as Darren Holloway was spotted at the Blyth game on Saturday afternoon… so hardly everyone isolating for 10 days.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:02 pm

Now confirmed the Brackley game is postponed. Alfreton on the 28th scheduled to be our first game.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:43 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:48 pm
But I think the article on the website was misleading regarding isolation as Darren Holloway was spotted at the Blyth game on Saturday afternoon… so hardly everyone isolating for 10 days.
Don’t think he should have been there. The new rules about not self isolating if double jabbed only came into being today. Maybe there is more to it than we know but as far as I am aware that is the case.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:50 pm

I wonder if this is the case at many other clubs....

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... disruption

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:49 am

Not a fan of Colin at all, but he's pretty much spot on there.

We can't make them get their jabs, but if we can't convince them because it's the right thing to do, then perhaps they might be convinced by being told it's going to massively disrupt their careers might help. I get the sense that there's a movement in the 'fitness' community that they don't need to get them because they're healthy and it only affects the unwell or elderly.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:20 pm

H1987 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:49 am

We can't make them get their jabs, but if we can't convince them because it's the right thing to do, then perhaps they might be convinced by being told it's going to massively disrupt their careers might help. I get the sense that there's a movement in the 'fitness' community that they don't need to get them because they're healthy and it only affects the unwell or elderly.
I would have thought Karl Darlo being hospitalised for over a week gives the lie to that 1.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:36 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:20 pm
H1987 wrote:

I would have thought Karl Darlo being hospitalised for over a week gives the lie to that 1.
Tbh it's far from the only example either, but this undercurrent of stupidity definitely exists and does the rounds on social media, which the players themselves also access. I really hope not only for their sakes, nor only for the sakes of our season, they stop being silly and get their jabs.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:25 am

H1987 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:36 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:20 pm
H1987 wrote:

Tbh it's far from the only example either, but this undercurrent of stupidity definitely exists and does the rounds on social media, which the players themselves also access. I really hope not only for their sakes, nor only for the sakes of our season, they stop being silly and get their jabs.
Agree with all that.
Only named Darlo because of the so obvious links as a player, the name and the fact he is so close locally.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:08 am

I know we can’t force players to have the jabs but for me if a player tests positive and he has refused to get vaccinated I would not pay his wages while he is in isolation. May seem petty to some and it is only a token gesture but if by refusing the vaccine it has caused him to miss games why should our supporters and sponsors be paying his wages ?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:39 am

Old Git wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:08 am
I know we can’t force players to have the jabs but for me if a player tests positive and he has refused to get vaccinated I would not pay his wages while he is in isolation. May seem petty to some and it is only a token gesture but if by refusing the vaccine it has caused him to miss games why should our supporters and sponsors be paying his wages ?
Whilst that may seem sensible. It is very likely to be a breach of contract, unless there is a clause in the contract requiring vaccination & giving right to withhold wages.

Club would almost certainly face FA/ League action for not paying wages and civil litigation from players, as well as risking players being able to leave on a free transfer.

I doubt very much the PFA would allow such clauses to be put into players contracts.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:45 pm

spen666 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:39 am
Old Git wrote:
Whilst that may seem sensible. It is very likely to be a breach of contract, unless there is a clause in the contract requiring vaccination & giving right to withhold wages.

Club would almost certainly face FA/ League action for not paying wages and civil litigation from players, as well as risking players being able to leave on a free transfer.

I doubt very much the PFA would allow such clauses to be put into players contracts.
I am sure you are correct in saying it could not be done at the present time but I know some companies especially in the care sector are actively looking at putting such clauses into contracts in the future. Doubt this will happen in football but I think players should realise they have an obligation to their clubs and supporters to take all reasonable steps to maintain their health and fitness. By refusing to get an approved vaccination you could argue they are not acting in their best interests to remains as fit and healthy as possible.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:15 pm

When you have a world in which lots of people get their information from soundbites on social media, then myths can quickly gain traction among some who are not the best informed.

So the vaccine is being used to chip people and track them or it is dangerous and killing lots of people or it will make you infertile or you're better off just getting a dose of covid and gaining natural immunity. A neighbour of mine said to me at the start of the vaccine programme that it was being used to eventually cull populations around the world and many of the vaccinated would die. An extreme view maybe but there's definitely a number of people who view the vaccine as rushed and not safe. I've seen a few TV interviews with people saying: "You don't know what's in it."

Warnock is right that some are getting their information from the wrong places. But then of course some just can't be arsed getting jabbed when they don't think covid is a real threat to them.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:15 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:45 pm
spen666 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:39 am
Old Git wrote:

I am sure you are correct in saying it could not be done at the present time but I know some companies especially in the care sector are actively looking at putting such clauses into contracts in the future. Doubt this will happen in football but I think players should realise they have an obligation to their clubs and supporters to take all reasonable steps to maintain their health and fitness. By refusing to get an approved vaccination you could argue they are not acting in their best interests to remains as fit and healthy as possible.

I can't see this happening in football where you have fixed term contracts and transfer fees which you don't have in normal employment.

Are Juventus for example going to risk losing say Ronaldo on a free if he refuses a vaccine. You know another club would snap him up on a free. (I use Ronaldo as an example. I have no idea if he is vaccinated or not).

Players have a monetary value to clubs in transfer fees etc that a care worker doesn't.

There is no easy, lawful solution to this situation

I would love to see everyone who can, be vaccinated.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:43 pm

Just been reading Danny Murphy’s column in The Mail on Sunday where he is in disbelief that players in the Premier League have declined the vaccine. He goes on to say that when he played that if he declined the flu jab and then caught flu he was threatened with not getting paid and he would find it hard to get back in the team. He does admit that he was not sure whether the threat was legal but he always got the jab.