New signings?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Yarblockos
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings?

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:57 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:55 pm
I thought Ted was dead?
I wish this thread was

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:19 pm

As if things weren't bad enough, with every game played any potential new recruit will look at us and think 'nah, dont fancy that'

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:56 pm

Alfie wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:19 pm
As if things weren't bad enough, with every game played any potential new recruit will look at us and think 'nah, dont fancy that'
Look on the bright side. Any half decent CB would be an instant hero. :roll:

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:31 pm

I personally think we will be bottom half bordering relegation this season as we are nowhere near in terms of quality or depth to compete at this level. That's not to say AA hasn't tried to get the recruits we needed more a case that money talks and even at our level the pandemic has impacted and inflated wage demands, basically our £130k boost the budget doesn't stretch as far as it maybe did last season or the one before. Look at those who have left and those brought in.

We probably have to accept that for a while we may well be a yo-yo club between NLN and NPL. We don't have enough core support beyond maybe the 2-3k (crude estimate) that we have to keep up with those chucking more money at their clubs. Without outside investment I think we have hit our ceiling, but if we are happy with what we are and where we are then this is the reality.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

bga

Post by bga » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:43 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:31 pm
I personally think we will be bottom half bordering relegation this season as we are nowhere near in terms of quality or depth to compete at this level. That's not to say AA hasn't tried to get the recruits we needed more a case that money talks and even at our level the pandemic has impacted and inflated wage demands, basically our £130k boost the budget doesn't stretch as far as it maybe did last season or the one before. Look at those who have left and those brought in.

We probably have to accept that for a while we may well be a yo-yo club between NLN and NPL. We don't have enough core support beyond maybe the 2-3k (crude estimate) that we have to keep up with those chucking more money at their clubs. Without outside investment I think we have hit our ceiling, but if we are happy with what we are and where we are then this is the reality.
No evidence so far to suggest anything other than a relegation struggle. Why do you believe part time players are now able to demand a higher salary post pandemic when all clubs gave had to cut back?

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:55 pm

As much as other clubs have bigger budgets, ours is still sizeable for the league and enough to be competitive in the playoffs.

I’m prepared to give the new players time to settle and gel, albeit I concede that it isn’t looking promising, but these players have been recruited by AA and his team and other good quality players moved on.

For me, this is a recruitment issue not a budget issue.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:52 am

Darlobill wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:29 am
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Only two games in and I'm getting tired of listening to Alun whinging, he signed these players, and yet he complains they are not good enough. We've had 7 months to sort a team out. I know Alun's teams usually get better later in the season, but given the start York have had (I had them as massive favourites) we really have zero momentum at the moment. A defeat on Saturday and the knives will be out.
If you can point where AA has said any of his new signings aren’t good enough, I’d be very grateful.

He’s said the defenders aren’t playing well (which is true) and has said Storey hasn’t stepped up (again, true).

But I haven’t heard him say the players aren’t good enough.

But that doesn’t fit your agenda, so you twist things to have a moan. There’ll be no knives out this weekend among anyone other than the reactionary gobshites who just seek attention. Most right-minded people will give the new squad time to gel.
“ reactionary gobshites” the irony
Told ya the knives would be out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:10 am

I thought that overall the crowd was very supportive yesterday in trying to lift the players back into the game. There may be more difficult times over the next couple of weeks as it will be tough getting anything out of the Blyth game in all the circumstances and midweek at Brackley almost has the look of mission impossible. But I expect AA will be quite rightly given the time to turn things around.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:17 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Darlobill wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Only two games in and I'm getting tired of listening to Alun whinging, he signed these players, and yet he complains they are not good enough. We've had 7 months to sort a team out. I know Alun's teams usually get better later in the season, but given the start York have had (I had them as massive favourites) we really have zero momentum at the moment. A defeat on Saturday and the knives will be out.
If you can point where AA has said any of his new signings aren’t good enough, I’d be very grateful.

He’s said the defenders aren’t playing well (which is true) and has said Storey hasn’t stepped up (again, true).

But that doesn’t fit your agenda, so you twist things to have a moan. There’ll be no knives out this weekend among anyone other than the reactionary gobshites who just seek attention. Most right-minded people will give the new squad time to gel.

To be honest, I’m not really seeing that, other than as I predicted, a few attention-seeking gobshites on social media.

The feeling is very much one of frustration but AA has the patience of the majority of fans for now. If performances stay as they are, then that will change.

Nice to see you’re rattled enough to have to post this a couple of days afterwards though Image
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:06 pm

I know it's going back over a year, but we've only won 5 of the last 21 league games under AA. Cup form has been great but we've been relegation form for a while in the league.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:42 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:06 pm
I know it's going back over a year, but we've only won 5 of the last 21 league games under AA. Cup form has been great but we've been relegation form for a while in the league.
That is a really frightening statistic if true. Some on here will blame this that and the other for last season, but ALL clubs faced the same challenges.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:49 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlobill wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

To be honest, I’m not really seeing that, other than as I predicted, a few attention-seeking gobshites on social media.

The feeling is very much one of frustration but AA has the patience of the majority of fans for now. If performances stay as they are, then that will change.

Nice to see you’re rattled enough to have to post this a couple of days afterwards though Image
Hardly rattled, just gloating about proving my point Image

Greg Norman

Darlogramps

New signings?

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:22 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlobill wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Except you haven’t, because no one on here has called for Armstrong to go.

But crack on if it keeps you happy.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:05 pm

Of course AA must go

and sort out these players & coach defensive play.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:44 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:22 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Darlobill wrote:

But they have, look at facebook and twitter - did I say this board - I said the knives would be out.
Greg Norman

Darlogramps

New signings?

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:41 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:22 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote: Told ya the knives would be out

But they have, look at facebook and twitter - did I say this board - I said the knives would be out.
Not seeing any mass movement against AA on either FB or Twitter. There’s a few, but I correctly predicted there’d be a few gobshites who spout off. Some on social media call for the manager to go after every game.

It’s not an indication of a big shift in opinion against AA as you’re claiming.

You’ve pulled the trigger too early fella. Might well change in the coming weeks if things don’t improve. But losing to Bradford PA hasn’t triggered a big shift against AA, no matter how much you claim it has.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:54 pm

Anyone walking the dog passed the training ground tonight?🙏😀

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:50 pm

Ted's dead in another life.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Are we after ex-football League central defender Dan Rowe of Whitby? He's from Middlesbrough.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:27 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:50 pm
Are we after ex-football League central defender Dan Rowe of Whitby? He's from Middlesbrough.
Former youth teamer, not the first Whitby CB we have enquired about if that is the case

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:35 am

e4sby wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:27 am
LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:50 pm
Former youth teamer, not the first Whitby CB we have enquired about if that is the case
Jonny Burn...? :shock:

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:41 am

Whitby's preferred centre back pairing has largely been Lewis Ritson and Dan Rowe with Burn on the bench. Ritson is from South Shields and used to captain Hull's under-23s. Ritson and Rowe have both been performing very well for Whitby and Rowe is their captain.

DarloJason

Post by DarloJason » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:02 pm

Interesting comment at 3:40 about a possibly signing for Darlington

https://youtu.be/Knaobebq8I8

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:36 pm

Lets hope there is at least one new face at training tonight and an announcement about a new signing is released. Micky Nelson certainly seems to be expecting it or is he playing games I wonder ?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:05 am

We’re in for Jake Cooper at Rotherham, according to the Echo.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:47 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:05 am
Sounds like its all but confirmed that we have a new player for Sat, maybe two (but I would be shocked if it was two). Alun knows he is under pressure and the vultures will be circling if we get beat (cue Darlogrumps)
Greg Norman

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:38 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sounds like its all but confirmed that we have a new player for Sat, maybe two (but I would be shocked if it was two). Alun knows he is under pressure and the vultures will be circling if we get beat (cue Darlogrumps)
Disagree that the vultures will be circling if we lose Saturday, far too early to start calling for heads particularly as possibly 2 new signings are imminent.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:26 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:38 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Disagree that the vultures will be circling if we lose Saturday, far too early to start calling for heads particularly as possibly 2 new signings are imminent.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
I am not a circling vulture but AA is not stupid and he knows results have to improve in the near future or his job will be under threat. That is a fact of football management as simple as that. Jake Cooper is by no stretch of the imagination an experienced centre half and this looks like an attempt to bring in a new face to hopefully change things around. AA recently said in an interview that bringing in a youngster on loan was not a solution to our problems but that is exactly what he has done presumably as he just can’t find a more suitable player.
I really hope he comes and improves our defence just like the lad Smith did from Barnsley a couple of seasons ago but the facts are we will have 4 central defenders all young and lacking experience. That situation is down to the manager and if it continues to be a major problem it will be a source of dissatisfaction among at least some supporters.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:24 am

Darlogramps wrote:
ImageImage Got you on a string haven’t I? I’m well and truly in your head.

Anyway, you said the knives were already out. Now they’ve been put away apparently. Make your mind up boyo!

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:30 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Not the experienced centre half we need but must be an improvement