Darlo v Bradford PA

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Yarblockos
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Bradford PA

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:52 pm

It will take more than David Wheater to turn this team around. We have a much weaker squad than last season. Our best players left in the summer and we have recruited poorer players to replace them. In fact all the players we have brought in appear poorer than last season, maybe with the exception of the goalkeeper. I don't know how our recruitment could have been so bad. What went wrong? I know there is a shortage of centre backs (which isn't affecting everyone else it seems) but is there a shortage of full-backs, wingers and strikers too?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:15 pm

The alarming bit in AA's interview was when he said: "We went into training on Thursday looking to change it but we didn't get the right attitude from certain players so we didn't change it."

That doesn't sound good at all. It doesn't give the impression of harmony.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:35 pm

No, that struck me too.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:45 pm

Given where our problems are I assumed he was talking about lexus beeden

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:03 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:45 pm
That’s how I took it too , and there was a tweet from Lexus during the week -

‘ A sheep is only as good as it’s shepherd, who are you looking up to are they gonna get you that 1% better each day; what habits are you letting creep into you are they beneficial or destructive. Another day another challenge’

A dig at AA perhaps ? Hence him not being selected to start today ?

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:08 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:03 pm
tdk1 wrote:

‘ A sheep is only as good as it’s shepherd, who are you looking up to are they gonna get you that 1% better each day; what habits are you letting creep into you are they beneficial or destructive. Another day another challenge’

Blimey that’s deep stuff. It’s up there with Eric Cantona

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:14 pm

All fair enough and a bit concerning, I suppose, but...

In what way to shepherds actually improve sheep? What are they supposed to be making them better at?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:19 pm

I think that's been read correctly too. It seems that he and AA are at loggerheads with each other and the camp does not seem harmonious. That'll hurt Alun because he is always at paims to point out that he wants the right type of player at the club. It also seems that in the close season he took a gamble which right now isn't paying off. He let the Blyth lads go because he felt they weren't the right players to take us up to the next level, and also said that Campbell wasn't giving us value for money (at the Fans Forum this was said) and that he could get us better for the money. So he lets his trusted players go so that we can push the club on on the pitch. Early days for sure, but a part of him must be thinking 'better the devil you know'.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:20 pm

See Jason Ainsley was there today I think it wadd as Coggdon with him, what are they up to now , are they still involved with Spenny? Anyone

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:21 pm

Saltmer put on a show today which was as good as 2 fingers to us for letting him go. Adam N similarly, until his shameful play-acting after clashing with Charman. Nice to see Beeden getting his chance, even though we had already lost the game in the 1st half. Also good to see Nelson getting some playing time. Poor Wheatley doesn't seem to be the same player this season. AA has his work cut out to turn this team around. Good job we dodged the 1st 2 games due to Covid or else I could have envisaged Played 5 Lost 5, 0 points

bga

Post by bga » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:27 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:08 pm
Lallacab wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:03 pm
tdk1 wrote:

Blimey that’s deep stuff. It’s up there with Eric Cantona
1% better each day......depends where you start from I suppose. This should have been a signing that went straight into the Team. Doubt AA saw him play before he signed him as often seems the case. Can't judge him on League games yet I suppose. AA really downbeat for sure. Glad he has not spent all the war chest.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:28 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:20 pm
See Jason Ainsley was there today I think it wadd as Coggdon with him, what are they up to now , are they still involved with Spenny? Anyone
Ainsley left Spendy last season as he refused to go into a full time set up

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:28 pm

Is Dave Hodgson still active as a players agent ? If he is AA might do worse than have a word. Anything to strengthen the team because there is a real danger of the side losing their way. The teams we've lost to are no great shakes and if the Quakers keep quaking God help us when we have to face Gloucester.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:37 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:19 pm
I think that's been read correctly too. It seems that he and AA are at loggerheads with each other and the camp does not seem harmonious. That'll hurt Alun because he is always at paims to point out that he wants the right type of player at the club. It also seems that in the close season he took a gamble which right now isn't paying off. He let the Blyth lads go because he felt they weren't the right players to take us up to the next level, and also said that Campbell wasn't giving us value for money (at the Fans Forum this was said) and that he could get us better for the money. So he lets his trusted players go so that we can push the club on on the pitch. Early days for sure, but a part of him must be thinking 'better the devil you know'.
IF that’s the case and it is causing disruption then he needs shipping out ASAP. Very easy for it to go badly wrong if there is a bad atmosphere in the squad.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:52 pm

Did anyone else notice Jack Lambert warming up with us today before the game ? At least I think it was him

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:19 pm

Don’t worry Wor Alun is getting on the phone this week….

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:40 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Just to rub it in, Reid has made a commanding start to the season for Blyth…playing at CB…rave reviews from their fans against Brackley. They can’t wait to face us

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:58 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
It was clear in AA's interview that he knows if things carry on as they are he'll be out of a job. He only has so long to make it work or the crowds dwindle and the board are left with no option. I just dont understand why recruitment was so poor in all areas, not just in central defence. If these new signings are no better than they appear to be then AA's gamble will mean he finds himself out of a job.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:12 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:58 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
It was clear in AA's interview that he knows if things carry on as they are he'll be out of a job. He only has so long to make it work or the crowds dwindle and the board are left with no option. I just dont understand why recruitment was so poor in all areas, not just in central defence. If these new signings are no better than they appear to be then AA's gamble will mean he finds himself out of a job.
Recruitment appears to have gone wrong through over reaching for players who won’t drop to our level, and then by the time that became apparent the decent players at our level were sorted with clubs, and we couldn’t replace the ones we let go with adequate quality. A misjudgement of the landscape perhaps, although this week could bring some in if they’ve not managed to get set up with league clubs, or some league clubs start to loan out.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:31 pm

Problem is most loan players from the FL are youngsters that clubs are looking to blood/toughen up a bit…like Brandon Taylor. What we need may be hard to find. We may have to look lower

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:45 am

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:58 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Have to agree if we loose the next few games AA will be toast, with the budget he has it just hasn’t gone well although who on earth would want the job - MG?

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:31 am

A name mentioned above may be an option but I'd much rather AA comes through this blip and proves he can turn this start around.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlobill

Post by Darlobill » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:40 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:31 am
A name mentioned above may be an option but I'd much rather AA comes through this blip and proves he can turn this start around.
I was joking there Re Gray, TBH I think AA will turn it around and we will end up mid lower table, and IMO with the budget we have and the tough competition with full time clubs that’s all we can honestly expect, I can’t see any way we could actually afford to go up although play offs would be fun so it’s really all about managing expectations.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:03 am

The problem is though even lower mid table could be a poor outcome for us, as it is likely to reduce in a lower BTB return which leads to a vicious circle.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:58 am

Darlobill wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:40 am
real_darlo_85 wrote:
I was joking there Re Gray, TBH I think AA will turn it around and we will end up mid lower table, and IMO with the budget we have and the tough competition with full time clubs that’s all we can honestly expect, I can’t see any way we could actually afford to go up although play offs would be fun so it’s really all about managing expectations.
I agree like you that AA will be able to turn things around to some extent and we will start to move up the table given time. He really needs to stand up and show some leadership to the group and tell them they are good players who need to get their heads down and work hard. If any don’t fancy it let them go because they all have to be committed to the cause. I think Blyth had a poor start 3 years ago but he was still able to lift them into a playoff place so he has done it before.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:44 am

Darlobill wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:40 am
real_darlo_85 wrote:
I thought the "expectation" was that we would have a good go at sneaking into the playoffs. This, I think is a fair expectation and should be achievable with the resources we have.

If the "expectation" is managed for "mid lower table" - watch the crowds dwindle then :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:37 am

Agreed, my personal expectation was a playoff push, not lower midtable. This isn't good enough. We haven't replaced the experienced heads at the back, and the whole backline looks fit for a lower level. To add insult to injury, some of the lads we have let go are looking good elsewhere at this level.

I'm mindful we're only three games in, but it already feels like we are in for a long season and I don't know where the next points are coming from. It's an unacceptably slow start.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:40 am

H1987 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:37 am
Agreed, my personal expectation was a playoff push, not lower midtable. This isn't good enough. We haven't replaced the experienced heads at the back, and the whole backline looks fit for a lower level. To add insult to injury, some of the lads we have let go are looking good elsewhere at this level.

I'm mindful we're only three games in, but it already feels like we are in for a long season and I don't know where the next points are coming from. It's an unacceptably slow start.
It was my first game of the season yesterday and whilst I thought we were poor I still think that we have improved the keeper and both fullbacks

Tommy Taylor looks decent but perhaps a little quiet for my liking , but an improvement on Saltmer for me

I think Griffiths is an upgrade on McMahon, who’s legs seemed to be going - we have potentially lost a little leadership there though

Smith to me looks like an upgrade on Liddle , certainly stronger and appeared to be better defensively

All my opinions of course and only based on what I saw yesterday

I also thought Cassidy was decent , he never let the defender have a free header and competed for every ball. We need to be better at picking up the second ball from him as we didn’t have anyone close enough to him until Charman came on

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:49 pm

Maybe Cassidy could stop gap as a Central Defender until we get one sorted? He's certainly competitive enough. Just a thought.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:10 pm

MikeinBlack2 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:49 pm
Maybe Cassidy could stop gap as a Central Defender until we get one sorted? He's certainly competitive enough. Just a thought.
Didn’t he score the own goal yesterday?

I’d rather he stayed up top, get someone alongside him and we won’t be half bad up front.