Darlington V Telford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Telford

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:37 pm

Team for Saturday, anyone?
As a side issue anyone know what was/is up with Nelson ?

JE93

Re: Darlington V Telford

Post by JE93 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:00 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:37 pm
Think it's got to be:

--------------------- Taylor ---------------------
Griffiths ---- Ellis -- Storey ---- Smith
---- Purver -- Hatfield -- Wheatley ---
---- Rivers --- Cassidy --- Charman --

Subs: Hedley, Taylor, Dos Santos, Mondal, Nelson.

Think Nelson was ill last week. Not sure why Griffiths missed the York game but hope he's back and fit again for tomorrow.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:40 pm

JE93 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:00 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:37 pm
Think it's got to be:

--------------------- Taylor ---------------------
Griffiths ---- Ellis -- Storey ---- Smith
---- Purver -- Hatfield -- Wheatley ---
---- Rivers --- Cassidy --- Charman --

Subs: Hedley, Taylor, Dos Santos, Mondal, Nelson.

Think Nelson was ill last week. Not sure why Griffiths missed the York game but hope he's back and fit again for tomorrow.
I think this is what it is likely to be, but I’m a bit unconvinced by that midfield three. It’s a bit bland / doesn’t offer us enough going forward.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:59 pm

Isn't Hatfield our second highest scorer?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:10 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:59 pm
I'd say that's really an indictment of a lack of goals in general, but I really meant in terms of creativity. Hatfield is good for a goal or two, as we all know.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:40 pm

H1987 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:10 pm
don'tbuythesun wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:59 pm
I'd say that's really an indictment of a lack of goals in general, but I really meant in terms of creativity. Hatfield is good for a goal or two, as we all know.
Is 10 goals in 6 league games a lack of goals? Only the top 7 + York and Chester have scored more than us and all of them have played a game more.

Charman has 4 goals (which is a really good start especially as he's played slightly wider this season)
Hatfield has 3 goals (finally added the goals to his game that we've needed from midfield)
Cassidy has 2 goals
Nelson has 1 goals.
That's not a bad spread. Ideally you want wide players like Rivers and Dos Santos to get goals as well, same for CBs to add a goal threat for set pieces. But from an attacking sense its not a bad start.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:52 am

Think I would like to see a slightly different format, mainly because I see Headley as a more attacking style midfielder, and De Santos is able to play either wing and also good defensively so can help out mid field, plus we need players nearer to Cassidy, who wins and holds the ball up well, with both Charman and De Santos able to drift wide if needed, also both full backs like to get forward on the wing.

--‐------------------------Taylor-------------------------------
Griffiths---------Ellis----------Storey---------Smith

Headley---------------Hatfield---------------Wheatley

---------------------------De Santos--------------------------

-------------------Cassidy-------Charman----------------

Then again I am no football manager :D

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:37 pm

Superb win that, I think KDS enjoyed that goal didn’t he!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:43 pm

That was a much better performance today all over the pitch. Danny Ellis certainly made a difference at the back and we rarely looked like conceding and I thought Ben Hedley had an excellent game at right back. Kevin De Santos looked lively and delighted to see him score his first goal for the club. Looked like he might have got away with taking his shirt off as I didn’t see the referee give him a yellow card. Luke Charman starting to look the part and 6 goals in 7 league games is an impressive return and bound to be getting noticed by other clubs.
Same again next week please.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:05 pm

Superb win today ALL of them played really well today.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:41 pm

Excellent result , we played some good football , and 3 goals were very well taken 👍

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:21 am

Couldn't have gone much better yesterday. 3 points, clean sheet, into positive goal difference. All in all a very good day. Sounded like Charmans goals were well taken and Dos Santos has set the bar for goal of the season contenders.

Plenty of games against teams in and around us in October, arguably we can still get stronger too once Cooper finishes his suspension and with Nelson getting back to fitness to give us more striking options. Time to start pushing ourselves up the table and building some momentum.

Darlogramps

Darlington V Telford

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:22 am

Amazing how quiet it is when we’ve won

Very good display yesterday. Fully deserved the win against what was admittedly a poor Telford side.

But we did our job very well and what excites me most is there are the signs of a decent side starting to come together. Ellis’s defensive organisation and leadership is something we’ve badly missed and will be a huge asset.

For me, the next stage of our development is for one or two other players to step up in taking on a bit more leadership. It can’t all be on Hatfield and Ellis. I think the likes of Purver, Griffiths and Hedley are all capable of it.

But after a worrying first weeks, there are clear signs we’ve now got a team that can at the least be competitive. Time now to string together a decent run of results.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:02 am

Yeah, probably too soon to be planning for the play offs but very nice to see three points and a clean sheet, albeit telford sound a bit of a state just now.

Sort of vindicates the view that we were maybe a good defensive organiser away from being a decent side, and great to see charman scoring pretty freely just at the moment.

Suspect tougher challenges lie ahead, but very nice to be actively looking forward to some match highlights this week.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:11 am

Talking about stepping up I thought Wheatley was very good yesterday and would have been a MOTM contender if it hadn’t been for Charmans two goals. Was back to his best and it helped It was just him and Hadfield. Nothing against Purver, but him not being there seemed to allow Hadfield and Wheatley more freedom.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:33 am

Much improved yesterday although Telford were really poor, and cannot see 424 working every time against tough opposition.
New guy made a big difference as we knew he would and thought Smith was excellent too. Must admit, wasn’t a fan of Cassidy signing at time but to be fair he has made a difference and his work rate and commitment is to be applauded. Somehow we have to stick to 2 strikers because no coincidence that Charmen doing so well alongside him.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:20 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:33 am
Much improved yesterday although Telford were really poor, and cannot see 424 working every time against tough opposition.
New guy made a big difference as we knew he would and thought Smith was excellent too. Must admit, wasn’t a fan of Cassidy signing at time but to be fair he has made a difference and his work rate and commitment is to be applauded. Somehow we have to stick to 2 strikers because no coincidence that Charmen doing so well alongside him.
I thought we played 4 4 2 yesterday, could be wrong, with Santos and Rivers pushing so far forward.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:16 am

We did

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:27 am

Old Git wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:43 pm
Kevin De Santos looked lively and delighted to see him score his first goal for the club.
I wasn't :thumbdown: It cost me £36!!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:34 pm

We have sometimes struggled to beat poor sides so it was good to see us deal with Telford & wrap the game up with a clean sheet. Ellis seems to have fitted in well, KDS boosted his confidence with a great finish, good team performance capped by 2 goals from Charman. Great tonic for Alun!

DarloJason

Post by DarloJason » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:12 pm

Is Griffiths injured?

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:12 pm

DarloJason wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:12 pm
Is Griffiths injured?
Thigh strain

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:32 am

Good result but Telford were poor but still managed to hit the post and bar and Taylor made a great save in the dying seconds so could have been 3-3, one swallow doesn't make a summer and need to beat Hereford before I start thinking of moving into top half of table.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:17 am

I'm really not sure 'if Telford scored every change they had, it could have been 3-3' from a game that finished 3-0 is a reasonable comment... as though teams take every chance at this level?

We comfortably deserved the win. It was a big improvement, and pleasing after an improved second half last week too. Hopefully something has clicked.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:19 am

H1987 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:17 am
I'm really not sure 'if Telford scored every change they had, it could have been 3-3' from a game that finished 3-0 is a reasonable comment... as though teams take every chance at this level?

We comfortably deserved the win. It was a big improvement, and pleasing after an improved second half last week too. Hopefully something has clicked.
Agree, also one of the chance that hit the post, wasn't it offside as well?

We won comfortably and deserved it, Saturday was about as good as it has been. Telford were generally poor but we dispatched them and deserved it, now is to back it up on Sat v's Hereford.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:45 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:32 am
Good result but Telford were poor but still managed to hit the post and bar and Taylor made a great save in the dying seconds so could have been 3-3, one swallow doesn't make a summer and need to beat Hereford before I start thinking of moving into top half of table.
Oh come on try to be a bit more positive. Of course one win doesn’t mean that all our problems are behind us but we are definitely moving in the right direction after a poor start to the season.
The addition of Cooper and Ellis should go a long way to sorting out our defensive frailties and 13 goals scored in 7 league games is a very healthy return. We need to back up Saturdays win against Hereford this week but there is every reason to think that confidence will be boosted and we can follow up.

Dusy_Bawls

Post by Dusy_Bawls » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:30 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:32 am
With that trail of thought, Charman could have had at least 4. Wheatley could have had another, etc.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Darlington V Telford

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:21 pm

Watched the highlights.

Team spirit looks good, great we have Ellis on board.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:42 pm

Have to give a mention to the officials on saturday thought they were good which makes a change lately

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:24 am

darlo reborn wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:42 pm
Have to give a mention to the officials on saturday thought they were good which makes a change lately
Winning has that impact usually