Marske away in the Cup (if we beat Chester)

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:38 pm

As above. A nasty looking tie if we win tomorrow.

Very definition of a banana skin. They easily beat South Shields at home on Saturday and would love a derby at home.

Would be a great occasion though.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Re: Marske away in the Cup (if we beat Chester)

Post by Old Git » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:51 pm

I really hope we get through and play Marske. Had a really enjoyable day out there when we were in the Northern League. They were one of the clubs that really welcomed our fans and seem to be a very well run club. I am sure they would love us to get through and give them a bumper attendance. They probably fancy their chances of causing an upset as well.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:16 pm

Don't tell AA but if we should make it through the pitch at Marske looks a bit bobbly with long grass :D . Their game with Shields looked a bit scrappy but they scored with three very good finishes, two of which followed long balls over the top. I'm sure Hopson, Gott, Burgess (and Ian Clark) would love it to be Darlo. They would probably hope for a 2,500 sell-out.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:58 pm

Un/Fortunately we play on a bobbly pitch with long grass so would be well used to their surface and Taylor now capable of dealing with long balls given Cooper, Storey, Smith & Griffiths working better in front of him. Yes, would be a great day out & crowd but I can't see us getting passed Chester unless the replay goes to penalties.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:34 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Don't tell AA but if we should make it through the pitch at Marske looks a bit bobbly with long grass :D . Their game with Shields looked a bit scrappy but they scored with three very good finishes, two of which followed long balls over the top. I'm sure Hopson, Gott, Burgess (and Ian Clark) would love it to be Darlo. They would probably hope for a 2,500 sell-out.
Fenton was having a right moan about the state of the pitch after the game and thought it was a major factor in the result.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:42 pm

The pitch won’t be a problem now.We’re out.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:50 pm

What a pity. Quite fancied a day out at the seaside.
Wonder if we will rearrange the Telford game for a week on Saturday as they are also out of the FA Cup.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:01 am

Anyone else still counting chickens? :shock: :D

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:43 am

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:01 am
Anyone else still counting chickens? :shock: :D
Bernard Matthews ?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:14 pm

No lemon tops.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:19 pm

I don't suppose the Marske spies watching the largely ordinary and uneventful 180 minutes of 'action' between us and Chester would have been left frightened whichever of the two sides it was to be.

Neither keeper had much to do on Saturday, the same as the entire first half last night. It was mainly two ordinary, well matched sides largely slugging it out and doing not very much at all of note. High scores for effort but low scores for quality and perhaps it was fitting that the tie was decided in distinctly flukey fashion.

We still look what we are... a work in progress... and Johnson and Morley have got Chester playing a very unappealing "grind it out" brand of boring football. To be a bit fair to them, they were somewhat depleted last night while we were pretty close to full strength. Going forward, I'll be happy if we can keep plenty of breathing space between us and the trapdoor.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:09 pm

A work in progress is fair, but one that needs to improve pretty quickly still.
We have won 1/7 this year and to be honest could have been 0/7 if played against 11 men, lost 0-7 friendlies and think I read something like won 5/27 in last 2 funny seasons. You could argue don’t include the friendlies which is fine, but it does show an alarming trend irrespective. Totally get that the cup runs were brilliant and thoroughly enjoyable, but our league form has been dismal.
Agree last couple of games have been slightly better although wasn’t at Chester but Loidlucan always sums things up pretty well and sounds pretty uninspiring.
Just hope that the slow signs of improvement turn into some wins ASAP.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:06 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:09 pm
A work in progress is fair, but one that needs to improve pretty quickly still.
We have won 1/7 this year and to be honest could have been 0/7 if played against 11 men, lost 0-7 friendlies and think I read something like won 5/27 in last 2 funny seasons. You could argue don’t include the friendlies which is fine, but it does show an alarming trend irrespective. Totally get that the cup runs were brilliant and thoroughly enjoyable, but our league form has been dismal.
Agree last couple of games have been slightly better although wasn’t at Chester but Loidlucan always sums things up pretty well and sounds pretty uninspiring.
Just hope that the slow signs of improvement turn into some wins ASAP.
Ah yes, should've known you'd pop up. The man who's only happy when we lose.

You went quiet after we didn't lose to Blyth, Brackley and Chester on Saturday. As soon as we lose the replay, up you pop! According to you we wouldn't have beaten Brackley if they didn't have a man sent off (even though we were leading at the time of their sending off). So not only do you only comment after we lose, but you try and talk down the victories we do get! And you wonder why your "support" and "loyalty" gets questioned.

Matches you have commented after: Alfreton (defeat), Bradford PA (defeat), Chester (defeat)

Matches you didn't comment after: Blyth (where we came from 2-0 down to earn a point), Brackley (where we beat a previously unbeaten side who were second in the table), Chester (first clean sheet of the season).

Noticing a pattern here.

I’m actually way more optimistic than I was 10 days ago. We now have a team that is at the very least able to compete. I think there’s more improvement to come as well.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:34 pm

Specially written for you Gramps and genuinely hope your optimism comes good despite a win ratio in last league games of something like 6/32.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:58 pm

Just been researching and our record is actually 12/32 I think. Saying 6/32 is just ludicrous sensationalism, especially as our CEO has been talking about poisonous claptrap on social media. Gramps is right, and you have an agenda against the club clearly. You're likely one of the Tin Shed haters.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:38 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Just been researching and our record is actually 12/32 I think. Saying 6/32 is just ludicrous sensationalism, especially as our CEO has been talking about poisonous claptrap on social media. Gramps is right, and you have an agenda against the club clearly. You're likely one of the Tin Shed haters.
Just been back through to tally it up.

Our last 32 league games: 13 wins, 14 defeats, 5 draws.

And it’s a better record with cup games.

Anyone got a towel so Quakerlad can clean the egg off his face?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:22 am

A 40% win rate is not bad going.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:42 am

Ok your right, I should have counted them myself rather than relying on the figures that a previous poster used a couple of weeks ago, you got me on that one! 😁.
Fair to say though that our more recent league form has been poor.
To say I have an agenda against the club is utter rubbish and don’t even know what you mean by the “tin shed haters”. I fully support DJ and what he does for the club and believe we are very very lucky to have him at the helm.
I posted a positive message only a few days ago saying I thought Lambert was a good signing etc but overall it’s fair to say my current view is that the summer recruitment was poor with some of the players just not up to this level of football either ability wise or physically, and we’re mistakes. Is that an agenda against the club, no. Is it an opinion shared by many other hardcore supporters yes.
Like both of you though I am sure I will be there on Saturday hoping that we play well and beat York.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:14 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:09 pm
We have won 1/7 this year and to be honest could have been 0/7 if played against 11 men
Even before Brackley had a man sent off, we were the better team and we’d have still won.

Blimey, some people aren’t ever happy.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:40 am

I think looking at records over the last season or two has probably been rendered meaningless because of the circumstances. The disruption caused last season where games were played in empty stadiums and we had played hardly any games compared to others made it a pointless exercise looking at our record. Covid also played its part this season with postponed friendlies and league matches and training suspended for a time. We were probably impacted more than most.

As far as summer recruitment goes, it's true that not all the signings have so far worked out as is the case every season under every manager we have ever had. Probably the most significant signing (and the one with the greatest overall impact on the team) has been the loan signing which helped to shore up an alarmingly leaky defence.

I just hope we don't end up in a Caton type situation with any individual. The Beeden situation, where he doesn't at present appear to be part of the plans, either in the team or bench, is a worrying one. I know he was recommended by Craig Liddle despite being released by Welling last December after a relatively short stay there but at present I can't see how that is going to resolve itself with the former Boro triallist. A loan back down South may be the answer if there is any interest and he is agreeable.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:22 am

LoidLucan wrote:I think looking at records over the last season or two has probably been rendered meaningless because of the circumstances. The disruption caused last season where games were played in empty stadiums and we had played hardly any games compared to others made it a pointless exercise looking at our record. Covid also played its part this season with postponed friendlies and league matches and training suspended for a time. We were probably impacted more than most.

As far as summer recruitment goes, it's true that not all the signings have so far worked out as is the case every season under every manager we have ever had. Probably the most significant signing (and the one with the greatest impact on the team) has been the loan signing which helped to shore up an alarmingly leaky defence.

I just hope we don't end up in a Caton type situation with any individual. The Beeden situation, where he doesn't at present appear to be part of the plans, either in the team or bench, is a worrying one. I know he was recommended by Craig Liddle despite being released by Welling last December after a relatively short stay there but at present I can't see how that is going to resolve itself with the former Boro triallist. A loan back down South may be the answer if there is any interest and he is agreeable.
Similarly with Brandon Taylor, is he still unavailable for selection or not part of AA's plans.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:52 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:22 am
LoidLucan wrote:I think looking at records over the last season or two has probably been rendered meaningless because of the circumstances. The disruption caused last season where games were played in empty stadiums and we had played hardly any games compared to others made it a pointless exercise looking at our record. Covid also played its part this season with postponed friendlies and league matches and training suspended for a time. We were probably impacted more than most.

As far as summer recruitment goes, it's true that not all the signings have so far worked out as is the case every season under every manager we have ever had. Probably the most significant signing (and the one with the greatest impact on the team) has been the loan signing which helped to shore up an alarmingly leaky defence.

Similarly with Brandon Taylor, is he still unavailable for selection or not part of AA's plans.

I think you will see one or two either leave or go out on loan over the next couple of weeks

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:49 pm

Marske beat Chester 4-0 away from home in tonight’s replay.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:45 pm

And Thompson sent off in spennymoore defeat at Southport

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:11 pm

Always good to see the Spendymore bottlejobs once again bottling it.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:19 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:49 pm
On Chester’s Twitter there is an explosive interview with Jonno. I’m not sure I’ve seen anything like it before - I wish some of our politicians were as straight talking as he is.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:39 am

Well done, Marske.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:21 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:19 pm
Old Git wrote:
On Chester’s Twitter there is an explosive interview with Jonno. I’m not sure I’ve seen anything like it before - I wish some of our politicians were as straight talking as he is.
Certainly pulls no punches in his assessment of the game. Difficult to imagine Johnson and Morley remaining in charge much longer after this.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:26 am

Lallacab wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:52 am
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:22 am

I think you will see one or two either leave or go out on loan over the next couple of weeks
Can add mondal to that list seen nothing in friendlies or competitive games, quiet as a mouse or show he is interested or up for the fight to win his place in the team . AA mentioned he lacked confidence can't imagine anything changed their but as were thin on numbers can we afford for him to go out on loan? probably not.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:44 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:21 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:19 pm
Old Git wrote:
Certainly pulls no punches in his assessment of the game. Difficult to imagine Johnson and Morley remaining in charge much longer after this.
It's a bizarre situation when you've got Johnson on his own twitter feed having an interchange with fans - both backers and enemies - discussing his future and how (and whether) the joint managers can go forward from this. It can't be an appropriate way to conduct things in these circumstances and I can't imagine the club's board think it is.