Darlington v Hereford Saturday 9th October 2021

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bga
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington v Hereford Saturday 9th October 2021

Post by bga » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:02 pm

TKOA wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:57 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:40 pm
Old Git wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:25 pm
Hope the likely resurgence of Newcastle Utd won’t lead to more young fans being lured up the A1 to Geordieland.
More likely a problem for the pride and shields rather than us.
Definitely a problem for us as Darlo is full of mags. Always found it strange as it’s nearly 40 miles away but maybe something to do with the short train journey and the ‘entertainaz’ from the 90’s.

Was reading a post on the tinshed Facebook page and was shocked at the number of our fans who followed Darlo as well as Newcastle or Man Utd etc, naive of me I suppose but to a lot of our younger fans they’ve always known us as a non league team.

I think what I’m trying to say during this waffle is I’m quite worried about our future attendances if Newcastle end up winning trophies.
I am assuming your last sentence is some sort of joke? Not a cat in hells chance in the foreseeable future.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:18 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:40 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:23 pm
As a side question, how is Tyrone getting on these days? Anyone
Got injured in either his first or second game and hasn't got back playing yet it seems. Sadly his team are bottom of the league currently also. Hopefully it turns around for him and Scunthorpe soon.
McMahon and O'Neill have walked into a toxic environment at Scunthorpe. There is open hostility to the owner who has warned that the club faces some tough years, the attendances have slumped and the chairman recently hit back at protesting fans, saying: "If the fans want to take over the club and buy my shares then they can." He has also separated ownership of the ground away from the football club and into one of his own companies.

I don't think things will turn out well for Scunthorpe, on and off the pitch.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:20 pm

bga wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:02 pm
TKOA wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Hope the likely resurgence of Newcastle Utd won’t lead to more young fans being lured up the A1 to Geordieland.
Definitely a problem for us as Darlo is full of mags. Always found it strange as it’s nearly 40 miles away but maybe something to do with the short train journey and the ‘entertainaz’ from the 90’s.

Was reading a post on the tinshed Facebook page and was shocked at the number of our fans who followed Darlo as well as Newcastle or Man Utd etc, naive of me I suppose but to a lot of our younger fans they’ve always known us as a non league team.

I think what I’m trying to say during this waffle is I’m quite worried about our future attendances if Newcastle end up winning trophies.
I am assuming your last sentence is some sort of joke? Not a cat in hells chance in the foreseeable future.

Man city won the league 4 years after they were taken over so I wouldn’t be too sure about that.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:52 pm

joejaques wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:14 am
quaker4life wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:29 pm
Old Git wrote:

Good point it probably was a factor. Hope the likely resurgence of Newcastle Utd won’t lead to more young fans being lured up the A1 to Geordieland.
As with any club who is bought out by money bags owners, I'd urge the geordies to be careful what they wish for the grass isn't always greener.

Bad enough having Genial George doorstepping you, if this fella does it you end up dismembered. :o :roll:
To be honest I'd rather have been confronted by an Angry Arab armed with a serrated blade than George Reynolds circa 2003.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:55 pm

joejaques wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:14 am
Old Git wrote:

Good point it probably was a factor. Hope the likely resurgence of Newcastle Utd won’t lead to more young fans being lured up the A1 to Geordieland.
As with any club who is bought out by money bags owners, I'd urge the geordies to be careful what they wish for the grass isn't always greener.

Bad enough having Genial George doorstepping you, if this fella does it you end up dismembered. :o :roll:
To be honest I'd rather have been confronted by an Angry Arab armed with a serrated blade than George Reynolds circa 2003.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:01 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:40 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:23 pm
As a side question, how is Tyrone getting on these days? Anyone
Got injured in either his first or second game and hasn't got back playing yet it seems. Sadly his team are bottom of the league currently also. Hopefully it turns around for him and Scunthorpe soon.
Weren't they 5-0 down at half time against Harrogate?

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:11 pm

Old Git wrote:
Man city won the league 4 years after they were taken over so I wouldn’t be too sure about that.
This ^

Sheik Mansour bought City in 2008 and it wasn't until 2011 that they won their first trophy, will the geordies be prepared to be that patient?

I have to say I feel sorry for Steve Bruce the treatment he has received from some sections of their support has been nothing short of deplorable, the fact he is even their manager (with respect) should tell them all about their current standing among top flight clubs, lets just say there's hardly a throng of high profile coaches queuing up to take over up there.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:03 pm

TKOA wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:20 pm
bga wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:02 pm
TKOA wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Old Git wrote:

And Man City had already won the odd FA and League Cup since 1955 when Newcastle last won anything. I am certain they will not win anything in the near future so stop worrying.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:15 pm

I'm pretty sure you've got the wrong end of the stick upthread, q4l.

I think 'Old Git' - or rather TKOA - was suggesting that four years was very much within the foreseeable future and that there was every chance the Toon could be winning trophies by that time. Given that Sheikh Mansour's wealth is pretty much pocket change to MBS, I think she or he could be right.

P.S. 'Entertainaz' made me laugh out loud :lol:

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:55 pm

Vokuhila wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:15 pm

I think 'Old Git' - or rather TKOA - was suggesting that four years was very much within the foreseeable future and that there was every chance the Toon could be winning trophies by that time. Given that Sheikh Mansour's wealth is pretty much pocket change to MBS, I think she or he could be right.

I may have misquoted the post, but my point is that their seems to be a perception that now Newcastle have these new wealthy owners it's a given they'll suddenly be successful and this wasn't the case at City it took a few years to materialize, they've had a billionaire owner for the last 14 years and all they have to show for it is two relegation's and two Championship titles.

Newcastle's owners may also have a substantially greater wealth but that's not to say they're going to get billions chucked at them.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:15 pm

Vokuhila wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:15 pm

I think Newcastle will be winning trophies in about four years, they will become a plaything, a toy, and there will be controversy. I don't think this change in owners will be of benefit to the Premier League or English football and it makes me glad that we (Darlo) can't be sold off at the whim of some Ashley/Reynolds/Singh type owner.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:13 am

quaker4life wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:55 pm
Newcastle's owners may also have a substantially greater wealth but that's not to say they're going to get billions chucked at them.
I don't think it is a bad assumption. Especially as the owners have already said their plan is to 'invest'.

It will be interesting to see if they do the same as what happened at City and go down the 'United Group' of clubs across the world and the Etihad academy development.

Remember Man City is just one of a group of 10 clubs across France, USA, Belgium, Italy, Australia and other who act as feeder clubs to one another.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:25 am

Enjoyed Saturdays result and and despite Hereford on top for most of the second half we managed the game out, something AA has asked for.
Charman had a a couple of further chances to score but didn't quite get the touch he required. Cassidy won everything in the air but not sure the plan because neither Charman , Rivers or Santos anticipate the flick on,s (seems wasteful) meaning Hereford took immediate possession whats the gameplan DH? .
First half alot of punts from back for for Santos to chase but often he was heading in the opposite direction and again Hereford had possession.
Hatfield was alot deeper his forays into the box were restricted with 5 in midfield but was solid with Wheatley.
Purver not a RB, Brandon Taylor is not going to get a game and we cannot afford to have another player on loan as the bench is quite light and with no Nelson (still injured?) Lambert/Rose having limited game time this season it is not as if Mondal is going to change a game. Looking forward to Chorley

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:44 am

Purver isn't a RB, no, and Ben Hedley isn't a LB either - but didn't both of them do well when called upon?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:17 am

Watching the highlights there seems like there was plenty to be pleased about.

Taylor had to make some decent saves but most were from 15-18 yards which gives the keeper more of a chance, the back four looked largely solid and kept the opposition out of our box. Shame to lose Smith to injury as I think he was really coming into his own, we'll have to see what the injury is like but might need a short term loan to cover things if Hope is out at Guisborough.

At the other end we created a few proper chances to put the game to bed. Looked like Charman got too much contact on his second chance in the first half put the ball into the ground which took the pace off the shot, he also had a chance with his run in behind the CB's could have maybe had a swing at it with his left but thats probably nit picking. Second half Ellis could have added another to make it safe but volleyed just over from the corner. Seems like things are starting to gel a little bit more after a slow start. Still got players like Cooper to come back in and compete for a CB place after next weekend and Nelson & Griffiths to return from injury. Also, based on current form, it's looking like a very good bit of business getting Charman tied down that 2 year deal in the summer. Won't be surprised if he's on the radar of clubs higher up the way he's playing.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 am

Agree regarding Charman. 7 goals already this season will not have gone unnoticed by other teams and very pleased he is on a 2 year contract. Would not want to lose him but if has say 15 goals by January you would expect him to be in demand by full time teams looking to bolster their attacking options. When you look at players such as Sousa, O’Neil, Donowa, and Saunders all now playing at a higher grade you have to think he is at least up to their level or better.
Having seen the highlights don’t think there was too much in the tackle that led to Smith’s injury. Just looked like both players making a honest attempt to win the ball and unfortunately Smith came off worse. Hope he is back soon as he looks a decent player to me.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:05 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 am
Agree regarding Charman. 7 goals already this season will not have gone unnoticed by other teams and very pleased he is on a 2 year contract. Would not want to lose him but if has say 15 goals by January you would expect him to be in demand by full time teams looking to bolster their attacking options. When you look at players such as Sousa, O’Neil, Donowa, and Saunders all now playing at a higher grade you have to think he is at least up to their level or better.
Having seen the highlights don’t think there was too much in the tackle that led to Smith’s injury. Just looked like both players making a honest attempt to win the ball and unfortunately Smith came off worse. Hope he is back soon as he looks a decent player to me.
Great news re 2 year contract.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:19 pm

beatroute66 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:44 am
Purver isn't a RB, no, and Ben Hedley isn't a LB either - but didn't both of them do well when called upon?
I disagree here, I like Purver as a player but on Saturday - you could tell that’s not his favoured position. Far too often he was caught exposed and most of their attacks come down that side.

Be better when he’s back in the middle of the park.

If Smith isn’t playing this week or however long he’s out for, I’d say we need to sign a LB on loan of Hope can’t be recalled.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:18 pm

Sure - not saying I want Purver there all the time, just making the comment that both him and Hedley (both midfielders at the end of the day) did well on a makeshift basis to play RB and LB (given Hedley is predominantly right-footed).

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:45 pm

TKOA wrote:
I disagree, it may affect us slightly but our crowds usually hold up quite well despite how the mags are doing. Even when the mags were in Europe every season our crowds weren't that much different from what our league form would justify.
The pride and shields however always got crap crowds in comparison and a resurgence of the mags, and to an extent Sunderland, would see both these clubs affected far more than us. Shields could be the worst affected out of any club.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:52 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:45 pm
TKOA wrote:
I disagree, it may affect us slightly but our crowds usually hold up quite well despite how the mags are doing. Even when the mags were in Europe every season our crowds weren't that much different from what our league form would justify.
The pride and shields however always got crap crowds in comparison and a resurgence of the mags, and to an extent Sunderland, would see both these clubs affected far more than us. Shields could be the worst affected out of any club.

Think Gateshead attendances may be badly affected

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:25 pm

loan_star wrote:
TKOA wrote:

That was 20+ years ago, we were a league team then with a much better ground right in the town centre. I was only young at the time but didn’t we offer the cheapest tickets in the league too? Granted Newcastle don’t play on a Saturday at 3pm every week like we do and are likely to play a lot of sundays but even a 12:30 or a 17:30 on a Saturday wouldn’t be great for us.

Agree about the other clubs being affected more but I still worry about our club. Hope I’m wrong of course.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:49 pm

spen666 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:52 pm
loan_star wrote:
TKOA wrote:

Are you joking ?
Gateshead don’t have much support to lose !

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:00 pm

It could work the other way. Full house at St James every week, some of the spillage walks down the road. Don't agree with how the new owners roll, walk down the road.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:30 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:49 pm
spen666 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:52 pm
loan_star wrote:
TKOA wrote:

Are you joking ?
Gateshead don’t have much support to lose !

Their attendances are averaging 923 this season without having played anyone at home with a big following like say york, or any other local sides which might boost their attendances.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:40 pm

And your point is?
I know Heed should issue a load of free season tickets and add them to their attendance figures. Perhaps then they may be able to claim crowds of 1500. Oh hang on a minute….

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:52 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:40 pm
And your point is?
my point is so simple, even an old git like you might be able to grasp it
Gateshead attendances may be badly affected
by a resurgence of interest at Newcastle. given they are nearest club to Newcastle at Steps 1-4 of the Pyramid

Darlogramps

Darlington v Hereford Saturday 9th October 2021

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:06 pm

LoidLucan wrote:The Pride are claiming 1,554 today... mind they do include every season ticket holder as having attended (whether they do or not) including the many free season tickets they give away as well as any random who happens to be passing by within a 5 mile radius of the ground.
Think it’s fair to say you’ve well and truly rattled dear old Spen. Relentless posting about us Twitter with screenshots and now he’s chomping on here too. He’s like Jack Nicholson in The Shining. Unhinged, psychopathic levels of obsession.

Nice of him to take such an interest in us though, given he posts more about us than the club he claims to support (but never goes to see).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:51 am

spen666 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:52 pm
Old Git wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:40 pm
And your point is?
my point is so simple, even an old git like you might be able to grasp it
Gateshead attendances may be badly affected
by a resurgence of interest at Newcastle. given they are nearest club to Newcastle at Steps 1-4 of the Pyramid
Notice you dodged the other point I made about issuing a load of free season tickets. I wonder why?

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:41 am

Can`t see how our crowds will suffer at all it`s not as if you will be able to turn up and get in most will need a season ticket or if available ticket in advance.