Darlo v Gloucester

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo v Gloucester

Post by JE93 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:56 pm

Gloucester making the long trip up north for tomorrow's game. Sacked their manager after a poor start to the season and last weekend was their first win since the Second weekend of the season when they beat York. Second most goals conceded in the league so let's hope our goal scoring exploits can continue.

On our side there's probably slightly more pressure on this game than had we seen out the lead we had a against Chester last Saturday. Our early exit from the FA cup has left some teams around us with a few games in hand and if we want to maintain and improve our position we really need to be getting wins. Sounds like Ellis and Smith still have some work to do, and barring Purver being back from suspension. With that in mind I'd be tempted to go back to the team that won against Kettering. After the first 30 minutes we really controlled the midfield and the ball. The addition of the likes of Cooper, Lawlor, Cassidy gives us a different dimension. Previously teams could come and play deep against us and we'd struggle to break them down. Those big lads in the team means teams can't just sit back against us cause if we can win corners, free kicks around the box we have plenty of threat. As above I've gone for the 4-4-1-1 that beat Kettering. Some might think it's negative only 1 upfront at home against a team well down the league, but there's plenty of attacking threat in there from open play and set pieces.

-------------------------- Taylor ------------------------
Griffiths --- Cooper --- Lawlor --- Hedley
Rivers ------ Purver ---- Rose ---- Lambert
------------------------ Hatfield ----------------------
------------------------ Cassidy ---------------------

Subs: Ellis, Smith, Wheatley, Dos Santos, Mondal

Hopefully armed services day is well recieved and there's a good crowd down at Blackwell Meadows and they get to see a good result.

Old Git

Re: Darlo v Gloucester

Post by Old Git » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:04 pm

Interesting selection dilemma if Ellis is fit. Cooper and Lawlor did well for 80+ minutes last week. Lawlor will presumably strip fitter having got 90 minutes under his belt and Cooper has scored in each of his last 3 games so AA may just stay with both of them and put Ellis on the bench. Can also see the case for Purver being recalled, especially with Wheatley still unavailable.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:18 pm

According to their owner they have one of the top four budgets in the league and I think they are now over budget because they have had to bring in more players to arrest their disastrous start to the season despite already having a decent squad on paper. They are a full-time team and are unlikely to have much backing tomorrow as there wasn't sufficient demand to fill a supporters coach and it was scrapped.

I wonder what sort of budget they have. In the league above, it wasn't interesting to hear the other night during the cup match that Solihull Moors have a budget of £900,000 and they're not troubling the automatic spot for promotion to the EFL from the National League. God knows how much you have to spend nowadays.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:27 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:18 pm
According to their owner they have one of the top four budgets in the league and I think they are now over budget because they have had to bring in more players to arrest their disastrous start to the season despite already having a decent squad on paper. They are a full-time team and are unlikely to have much backing tomorrow as there wasn't sufficient demand to fill a supporters coach and it was scrapped.

I wonder what sort of budget they have. In the league above, it wasn't interesting to hear the other night during the cup match that Solihull Moors have a budget of £900,000 and they're not troubling the automatic spot for promotion to the EFL from the National League. God knows how much you have to spend nowadays.

Paul Groves was an absolute disaster for Gloucester City and was like a kid in a sweet shop with his signings and had no experience of NLN at all.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:50 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:18 pm

I thought £1.5m - £2m is pretty 'standard' full time budget in the NL.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:06 pm

Solihull are full-time with a big squad and usually top half but don't fit in with your ballpark figure if their quoted £900,000 is right.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:11 am

Hope we can improve our home form & catch City cold with an early goal, as Gloucester starting to show own signs of improvement. AA 's selection problems starting to change for the better, as players coming back from injury & selection whilst the team have turned in some good performances recently. Lambert deserves to keep his place whilst the bench will have more talent warming it than in recent weeks. If AA gets it right with starting XI then no injuries to force his hand over substitutions, we should take all 3 points and score a few good goals.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:45 am

I wonder if we'll see Nelson on the bench or has he quietly disappeared into another injury nightmare?

Not that I'd expect Ray "it's my information, and you minnions have no right to it" to give us an update, anyway.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:56 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:45 am
I wonder if we'll see Nelson on the bench or has he quietly disappeared into another injury nightmare?

Not that I'd expect Ray "it's my information, and you minnions have no right to it" to give us an update, anyway.
If you look on the official website regarding the game you will see that Nelson is out with a knee injury. Not sure why you feel the need to have a go at Ray as he seems to do a decent job most of the time. My only gripe is I wish he would ask some more incisive questions to AA when we play poorly and not be quite such a pussycat.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:03 pm

Out with a knee injury, not good.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:08 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:03 pm
Out with a knee injury, not good.
Yes especially if it is connected to his bad injury from last season. Has to be a doubt about whether he can regain his full fitness but hopefully he can.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:12 pm

No Hatfield today out with injury, so Purver steps in.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:20 pm

Even on Flashscore we look poor today :o

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:22 pm

2 down WTF

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:47 pm

2 2 better

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:57 pm

I'm sure you don't get the full picture on Flashscore - well done Darlo.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:25 pm

Didn’t play well. Did well to come back from 2 down though. A truly spectacular refereeing display too..

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:30 pm

A proper old fashioned game of football for me. Reminded me a bit of Feethams in the 1970s/1980s. Two moderate teams a crap referee and plenty of aggro in the crowd towards the officials. Loved it.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:54 pm

First time for ages we had an atmosphere like that in the shed. Thought it was two evenly matched sides but officials like them should struggle to referee in the northern league never mind NLN.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:58 pm

Agree, enjoyed the last half hour for the atmosphere that the game created, decent crowd too.
My take on the game in 3 parts:
1. Yes the ref was shocking, missed two blatant penalties and added only 5 mins when the crowd incident itself easily took 5.
2. Bottom line though is that we just cannot perform against big physical teams who close us down, are aggressive, get in our faces, put themselves about etc. They stop us playing our nice little triangles of play and we are become second best. Been the case for last few seasons, today was very similar to what Boston did to us last year. What the answer is I don’t know, but guarantee that’s how Boston will play on Tuesday.
3. To finish on a positive, we wouldn’t have come back and got a draw last season and thought Purver and particularly Rose were very good.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:28 pm

The ref was terrible and it seems to be just about every other game now. He missed a very clear flailing elbow directed at Cassidy and turned down what seemed very good penalty shouts as well seeming to only have eyes for Gloucester on the freekicks front. There was also a blatant foul by Gloucester in the build-up to the second goal. But there may be trouble ahead after the ref apparently said a drink was thrown towards him Not acceptable if right and could be costly. The standard of officials does seem to be declining.

Good fightback in the end and one that just didn't seem likely at 0-2. They have got a large, experienced, full-time squad and are recovering from a bad start to the season.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:36 pm

Someone chucked a drink at a Gloucester player who was time wasting, the ref was nowhere near it.
Think an apple would have been better for the ref, older fans will remember the Tom Fitzharris incident years ago :lol:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:03 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:36 pm
Someone chucked a drink at a Gloucester player who was time wasting, the ref was nowhere near it.
Think an apple would have been better for the ref, older fans will remember the Tom Fitzharris incident years ago :lol:
Yes I believe he got an apple in the face coming down the tunnel at the end of a particularly inept performance at Feethams in the 1970s. Not sure of the exact game but could it have been a 2-0 defeat by Stockport when we had 2 players sent off ?
As for the incident today, someone in the crowd between the Tin Shed and the Stand appeared to throw a drink in the direction of one of their players who was wasting time. It went closer to the linesman than the referee but I don’t think it actually hit anyone. All the same it can’t be excused, although I have to say the referee was absolutely clueless. We can only hope that the assessor came to the same conclusion and we don’t have to put with his incompetence again anytime soon.

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:05 pm

That 0 2 defeat to Stockport with us going down to 9 men was a ref called Butcher I think. He certainly was berated by the fans that night
Last edited by Darlo Since 68 on Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:12 pm

Not sure where the NLN gets their "referees" from, but this one was exceptionally bad. All a City player had to do was roll over everytime they were touched and Gloucester got a free kick. Taylor was nearly booked for not placing our free kick within centimetres whilst every throw & kick they took was within 10 metres of the actual spot. One of their goals was the result of him waving on a blatant foul on our player in centre circle, I could go on. A roll of lino would have been more use than the assistant refs today. Timewasting par excellence as soon as they got ahead then hardly any extra time added on despite 5 mns delay for a crowd incident or the 5 subs. Yes, we missed Captain Fantastic Hatfield but the lads kept going well and fought back to take a point. Still vulnerable to deep crosses & corners to far post, but TBF their opener was a cracking volley and most of the 1502 crowd stayed to the bitter end.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:04 pm

Tom Fitzharris from Bolton. Now there’s a blast from the past!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:31 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:03 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:36 pm
As for the incident today, someone in the crowd between the Tin Shed and the Stand appeared to throw a drink in the direction of one of their players who was wasting time. It went closer to the linesman than the referee but I don’t think it actually hit anyone. All the same it can’t be excused, although I have to say the referee was absolutely clueless. We can only hope that the assessor came to the same conclusion and we don’t have to put with his incompetence again anytime soon.
So, someone chucks a drink onto the pitch and it doesn't hit any players or officials and the ref holds the game up for five minutes while he runs across the pitch to report matters to AA and the stewards. I'm not condoning anyone chucking their drinks around but really, is that the sum total of the drama that stopped the game? I suggest transportation to Van Diemen's Land if the culprit can be hunted down.

Bernie Rhodes knows

Post by Bernie Rhodes knows » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:44 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:12 pm
Not sure where the NLN gets their "referees" from, but this one was exceptionally bad. All a City player had to do was roll over everytime they were touched and Gloucester got a free kick. Taylor was nearly booked for not placing our free kick within centimetres whilst every throw & kick they took was within 10 metres of the actual spot. One of their goals was the result of him waving on a blatant foul on our player in centre circle, I could go on. A roll of lino would have been more use than the assistant refs today. Timewasting par excellence as soon as they got ahead then hardly any extra time added on despite 5 mns delay for a crowd incident or the 5 subs. Yes, we missed Captain Fantastic Hatfield but the lads kept going well and fought back to take a point. Still vulnerable to deep crosses & corners to far post, but TBF their opener was a cracking volley and most of the 1502 crowd stayed to the bitter end.
Last weeks ref at Chester was anonymous in a very competitive game, that clown today takes the biscuit in the 'its all about me stakes'

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:55 pm

Spot on Bernie Rhodes. Refs have a good game when you don't notice them as the game flows by and so do the 90 minutes.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:32 pm

The injured player rolling on to the pitch was a good one. This stopped play for a good while and it’s been ages since I’ve seen this ploy. The linesman on that side should have spotted it.

Their opening goal :thumbup: Premier league standard, he just caught it right - and a thought about Kev - he does seem to fall over a lot!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!