Boston V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quaker4life
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boston V Darlington

Post by quaker4life » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:24 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:30 pm
This is the third season they have had to produce a team capable of mounting a playoff challenge and we seem as far away as ever from a sustained challenge at the top end of the league. Of course the last two seasons have been disrupted but nevertheless it is disappointing.
Technically they haven't, they have been here over two years but have yet to have a full season in charge as the two previous seasons were both curtailed!

However, although I can't comment too much on last season (if you can even call it a "season") it would seem we have gone backwards if I recall rightly when the league was brought to a halt in 2019/20 we weren't far shy of the top 7 but last season we were apparently in a poor position which was masked somewhat by our runs in the FA Cup and FA Trophy although we had only played around 11 games.

Although we had a disrupted pre-season and we lost our first couple of games this season due to Covid which may account for the dodgy start we had, we can no longer point to that as an excuse. Alarm bells were ringing for me after the BPA game and although we seemed to have turned the corner at the end of September/beginning of October after the Kettering game we seem to have fallen back into that exact same pattern of giving stupid goals away and giving teams a head start.

Listening to Alun at times is like groundhog day the referee this, should have scored that and so on it's simply not good enough we've seen glimpses of what this team can do but for whatever reason we have a self destruct button that we can't seem to shut off. When you look at our upcoming fixtures can you honestly say you're confident of getting anything out of any of them? Even the prospect of facing an out form Spennymoor on Boxing Day and New Years Day looks far from attractive.

The fact we've scored the same amount of goals as the league leaders this season but yet have conceded the same number of goals as the side who are currently bottom is as infuriating as it is embarrassing and it gives you some measure of the amount of points our ineptitude at the back has cost us already this season. Although I don't believe we are yet a top 7 side the fact we seem tantalizingly close but at the same time nowhere near is massively frustrating, I feel as though the FA Trophy could be important for us this season if anything to keep the season alive I'd be more than happy to get a draw down there on Saturday and bring it back to BM for a replay.
Last edited by quaker4life on Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlogramps

Boston V Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:25 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Have to say I am beginning to doubt whether Armstrong and Holloway have the tactical nouse to be successful at this level. You would think that a former striker and former defender would be an ideal mix in a management team but it doesn’t seem to be working.
This is the third season they have had to produce a team capable of mounting a playoff challenge and we seem as far away as ever from a sustained challenge at the top end of the league. Of course the last two seasons have been disrupted but nevertheless it is disappointing.
:problem: I think the reasoned nature of this says much about the respect the fans have for the management - see other posts too - but in a way its more telling than a wtf slag off. We've all wished them success but you don't need the old crystal ball to see it's not going to happen now. Poor refs are common in our league and will affect every one, as has Covid - we have a good support base and good enough players so why have we been so bad at times? I agree that the result last night isn't the end of the world but it might signal the point where AA loses our faith in him - it can't have been Holloways choice to set up like that at the back. So, let's see this season as 'transitional' as we're not going up and shouldn't go down but maybe we should take some tough decisions next May.
Which tough decisions should we take next May? Sack Armstrong and Holloway? Can we see how the next six months play out first before talking about “tough decisions”.

I’m genuinely surprised at the number of fans who seem to think we should be storming through into the top seven.

The turnover of players in the summer was massive. I think there was only about half a dozen left from last year’s squad (Charman, Hatfield, Wheatley, Hedley, Rivers and Storey).

AA is essentially constructing a brand new squad. He didn’t get all of his recruitment right, particularly in defence, and we’ve had several other setbacks (COVID in the squad etc) which delayed our preparations. That’s not seeking excuses but it is a fact.

In the face of all that, I find it really surprising some people are being so negative because we’re not up there with the Fyldes and Brackleys. I said at the start of the season we needed to view this year as transitional, and the likes of Quakerlad pilloried me for it. Yet it’s playing out like I said it would. So perhaps there’s an element of some fans needing to be more realistic.

And we are only three points off the play-offs. We’re just a few defensive improvements from being very good in this division. Heart of hearts, I’d say we’ll finish mid-table on current form. But it’ll only take one good run of form and we’ll be right in there.

I do think he needs to decide on the centre back combination he wants and stick with it. The regular chopping and changing there (some of it enforced by Ellis’s injury and Cooper’s suspension) isn’t helping matters. It’s only going to change again when Cooper and Lawlor’s loans are up in January and, if as suggested, Wheater comes in.

And if we don’t make top seven, but have the building blocks for a promotion push next season, given the position we were in in August, I’d see that as a real step forward.

I don’t think the situation is as bad as some on here are making out.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Boston V Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:30 pm

MB86DFC wrote: For me we are not solid enough in midfield. We have missed the strong Hatfield / Wheatley partnership of the last 2 seasons. I think with those two playing in front of a combination of Ellis / Cooper / Lawlor in a 4 man defense will make us more solid.
If you think Wheatley is the answer then you’ve not been paying attention this season. He’s been well off the pace.

Rose and Purver have been much better than Wheatley this season.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:40 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:30 pm
MB86DFC wrote: For me we are not solid enough in midfield. We have missed the strong Hatfield / Wheatley partnership of the last 2 seasons. I think with those two playing in front of a combination of Ellis / Cooper / Lawlor in a 4 man defense will make us more solid.
If you think Wheatley is the answer then you’ve not been paying attention this season. He’s been well off the pace.

I like Purver and Rose, but don't think they have the energy and defensive quality of Wheatley. I agree he hasn't been at his best so far this season, however the one game he did look a good was the 3-0 against Telford when we had a dominant centre back display (partly through Telford being shite, partly through Ellis steadying things). With better centre backs he looks better.

For me a centre back pairing of Ellis and either Lawlor or Cooper, with Wheatley and Hatfield in the sitting centre 2 makes us a lot stronger. I hope Wheatley can recover from his absence, regain some fitness, and get back to his best as he can be a real asset.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:03 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:40 pm

For me a centre back pairing of Ellis and either Lawlor or Cooper, with Wheatley and Hatfield in the sitting centre 2 makes us a lot stronger. I hope Wheatley can recover from his absence, regain some fitness, and get back to his best as he can be a real asset.
The one game, against the worst team seen at Blackwell all season.
Dont get me wrong, I like Wheatley, but hes not cutting it so far this season and Purver and Rose are both ahead of him as far as I'm concerned.

Darlogramps

Boston V Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:12 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:30 pm

I like Purver and Rose, but don't think they have the energy and defensive quality of Wheatley. I agree he hasn't been at his best so far this season, however the one game he did look a good was the 3-0 against Telford when we had a dominant centre back display (partly through Telford being shite, partly through Ellis steadying things). With better centre backs he looks better.

So the only evidence you have to support that is one match against the worst side in the division (they’re bottom). I remember the game at Southport, Wheatley was a total passenger.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s been carrying an injury, he’s been so off colour. Either that or got a bit distracted by talk of him following McMahon to Scunthorpe.

I’d like to see him regain his form too as it’s an asset but right now there’s nothing to suggest he should be ahead of Purver and Rose, who have both been pretty good actually.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:47 pm

I was so pissed off by the ten minutes of madness last night but I remain convinced that the strong squad which has been pieced together will, with time and patience, give us a good season... and an entertaining one. I look forward with a good deal of optimism because the right framework is in place, as gramps outlines above.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:55 pm

Three points from Craig Elliott’s interview after the game:
1. He said he was confident they’d win possession from us if they pressed us high up the pitch, especially early on
2. He thought the sending off was wrong…that it was a good fair tackle that won the ball
3. He said Alun was wrong to suggest them not loaning us a player was down to pettiness. Rather, he said that other clubs had wanted the same player and he’d turned them down too. He also didn’t see the point in loaning players to rival clubs

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:31 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:25 pm
Wiseacre wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Have to say I am beginning to doubt whether Armstrong and Holloway have the tactical nouse to be successful at this level. You would think that a former striker and former defender would be an ideal mix in a management team but it doesn’t seem to be working.
:problem: I think the reasoned nature of this says much about the respect the fans have for the management - see other posts too - but in a way its more telling than a wtf slag off. We've all wished them success but you don't need the old crystal ball to see it's not going to happen now. Poor refs are common in our league and will affect every one, as has Covid - we have a good support base and good enough players so why have we been so bad at times? I agree that the result last night isn't the end of the world but it might signal the point where AA loses our faith in him - it can't have been Holloways choice to set up like that at the back. So, let's see this season as 'transitional' as we're not going up and shouldn't go down but maybe we should take some tough decisions next May.
Which tough decisions should we take next May? Sack Armstrong and Holloway? Can we see how the next six months play out first before talking about “tough decisions”.

I’m genuinely surprised at the number of fans who seem to think we should be storming through into the top seven.

The turnover of players in the summer was massive. I think there was only about half a dozen left from last year’s squad (Charman, Hatfield, Wheatley, Hedley, Rivers and Storey).

AA is essentially constructing a brand new squad. He didn’t get all of his recruitment right, particularly in defence, and we’ve had several other setbacks (COVID in the squad etc) which delayed our preparations. That’s not seeking excuses but it is a fact.

In the face of all that, I find it really surprising some people are being so negative because we’re not up there with the Fyldes and Brackleys. I said at the start of the season we needed to view this year as transitional, and the likes of Quakerlad pilloried me for it. Yet it’s playing out like I said it would. So perhaps there’s an element of some fans needing to be more realistic.

And we are only three points off the play-offs. We’re just a few defensive improvements from being very good in this division. Heart of hearts, I’d say we’ll finish mid-table on current form. But it’ll only take one good run of form and we’ll be right in there.

I do think he needs to decide on the centre back combination he wants and stick with it. The regular chopping and changing there (some of it enforced by Ellis’s injury and Cooper’s suspension) isn’t helping matters. It’s only going to change again when Cooper and Lawlor’s loans are up in January and, if as suggested, Wheater comes in.

And if we don’t make top seven, but have the building blocks for a promotion push next season, given the position we were in in August, I’d see that as a real step forward.

Spot on post. We do lack consistency, but there is definately a decent squad there.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:40 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:31 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Wiseacre wrote:
Old Git wrote:

Spot on post. We do lack consistency, but there is definately a decent squad there.
Cracking post - for me the squad is in much better shape than last season, 2 of our centre backs are new to the squad and will take a few more weeks to settle down

Totally agree with Gramps , solid building blocks are in place for next season already where we should only need to bring in 2-3 rather than the wholesale changes we needed during the summer just gone

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:41 pm

Only just got round to posting my summary from last night.

What in the actual fuck was that 1st 10 minutes?!?! Absolutely obscene, never seen anything like it.

Still disagree with the sending off, didn’t look like a straight red at all - a yellow at best, at least from the viewpoint of where we was stood.
Didn’t think Boston were anything special, if we’d kept the 10 men. We would have troubled them. Just a shame we never got the chance to do that.

Decent little ground at Boston, I liked it. Cracking little bar too, very well laid out and was full when we arrived at 7pm. Decently priced too.

Full credit to the 89 Darlo fans who made the journey last night, once again - that backing and the non-stop singing was superb :clap: The best around.

Go again Saturday. We need to put things right after the last couple of games.
Last edited by AndyPark on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:51 pm

I am very disillusioned at last night's debacle but I am and will support my team come hell or high water, we Darlington FC fans have seen it all before been there and come back for more it's what we do as fans we take the good and bad ,look forward to the next instalment of 2021 saga. :thumbup:

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Watching the highlights. The goals are horrible. Awful defending, people out of position, no pressure on the ball cause they're trying to get back into shape and no one seems to know who is supposed to be pressuring the ball.

Red card, for me the ref got it right. Lunging in from a high position is never going to end well. I don't think he gets that much contact on their lad, but if he did he's causing injury and that's why it was a red for me.

The challenge on Hedley for me yellow was the right call. His leg is lifted and he does catch him but he's sliding past Hedley and Hedley's foot is out there cause he's playing the ball away so it's not like he's sliding through him.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:32 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Wiseacre wrote:
Old Git wrote:

So who do you blame for the lack of consistency?

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:50 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:41 pm
Only just got round to posting my summary from last night.

What in the actual fuck was that 1st 10 minutes?!?! Absolutely obscene, never seen anything like it.

Still disagree with the sending off, didn’t look like a straight red at all - a yellow at best, at least from the viewpoint of where we was stood.
Didn’t think Boston were anything special, if we’d kept the 10 men. We would have troubled them. Just a shame we never got the chance to do that.

Decent little ground at Boston, I liked it. Cracking little bar too, very well laid out and was full when we arrived at 7pm. Decently priced too.

Full credit to the 89 Darlo fans who made the journey last night, once again - that backing and the non-stop singing was superb :clap: The best around.

Go again Saturday. We need to put things right after the last couple of games.
Highlights back this up. Another terrible decision made worse by the fact their lad put in a comfortably worse challenge later that only got him a yellow card.

Regardless of how bad we clearly were for 10 minutes yesterday I'm absolutely sick of the absolutely diabolic standard of officials in this league. It's depressing enough watching us without them making it worse every week.
Craig Liddle is God!!

Darlogramps

Boston V Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:49 pm

Old Git wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Wiseacre wrote:
Old Git wrote:

There’s multiple factors as already set out:

- Chopping and changing in defence (which is where our primary weakness has been).

- Poor initial recruitment in signing Beeden and Taylor, who weren’t good enough (evidenced by the fact Taylor gets nowhere near the first team and Beeden is on loan in the Northern League).

- Players making mistakes for periods during matches.

- Big changes in the squad personnel during the summer, meaning there’s not been as much time to gel.

- And some factors out of anyone’s control, like the COVID outbreaks disrupting pre-season.

So it’s a combination of managerial decisions, players making mistakes in game and some factors out of our control.

I do find the concept of having to blame someone a bit odd though. It’s like you’re desperate to find a scapegoat and hang them out to dry, even though there’s five months left of the season and we’re three points off the top seven.

Also, the idea that inconsistency is exclusively a problem for us is purely ludicrous. Look at York, Spennymoor, Gateshead, Blyth, Boston, Southport, Gloucester and Alfreton. All have already had ups and downs this season. So why make a big deal out of it?

Maybe see how things play out before trying to stick the boot in. A little patience will go a long way.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:41 am

I think that when the opposition manager says he didn't think it was a red card we can discount the opinion of our own supporters who thought it was - not sure what their agenda is. He gets the ball and it's his thigh that knocks their player over and he is to the side of him not directly in front. Personally I'm still not convinced it was even a foul - it was a 50/50 ball and he won it. Contrast that to their guy who went in much higher on someone straight in front of him and didn't get the ball.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:02 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:08 pm
jjljks wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:00 pm
Why is our focus so poor from the kick-off?
Straight after halftime kickoff on Saturday, 2 goals down. Straight after kickoff last night, 2 goals down. I don't know the answer to your question though, I took it as a rhetorical question.
True, if anyone could answer the question, please submit to AA asap.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:52 am

JE93 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:20 pm
Red card, for me the ref got it right. Lunging in from a high position is never going to end well
dfcdfcdfc wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:41 am
we can discount the opinion of our own supporters who thought it was - not sure what their agenda is.
Does an opinion need an agenda?

He lunges that much is obvious, his leg is straight. I've paused it at the point of contact and it does indicate it was glancing, so should have been yellow. The reality is Cassidy has bought a ticket at this point mind.

https://ibb.co/c81dhxZ

To be fair the referee is right on top of it and it won't have helped that Cassidy would have been lunging towards him.

The trajectory of the challenges are slightly different - their lad is a foot up that is heading across the ball to block it and Headley follows through into him, Cassidy's goes in towards the player. The still shows that it was the side of their players foot that Headley hit the ball against.

https://ibb.co/MpCrF6d

There is something about being a bit about being smarter in those situations. If you give the option some might take it.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:59 am

It's all well and good looking at still images several hours after the game has finished. But, in reality the referee does not get the time to analyse still photos to work out the angles etc... In real time there was no difference between the two tackles. The difference was that the referee took time out to think about his decision on the yellow card. If he was consistent it should in my opinion have either both been yellow cards or both been red cards.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:41 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:49 pm
Old Git wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Wiseacre wrote: :problem: I think the reasoned nature of this says much about the respect the fans have for the management - see other posts too - but in a way its more telling than a wtf slag off. We've all wished them success but you don't need the old crystal ball to see it's not going to happen now. Poor refs are common in our league and will affect every one, as has Covid - we have a good support base and good enough players so why have we been so bad at times? I agree that the result last night isn't the end of the world but it might signal the point where AA loses our faith in him - it can't have been Holloways choice to set up like that at the back. So, let's see this season as 'transitional' as we're not going up and shouldn't go down but maybe we should take some tough decisions next May.

There’s multiple factors as already set out:

- Chopping and changing in defence (which is where our primary weakness has been).

- Poor initial recruitment in signing Beeden and Taylor, who weren’t good enough (evidenced by the fact Taylor gets nowhere near the first team and Beeden is on loan in the Northern League).

- Players making mistakes for periods during matches.

- Big changes in the squad personnel during the summer, meaning there’s not been as much time to gel.

- And some factors out of anyone’s control, like the COVID outbreaks disrupting pre-season.

So it’s a combination of managerial decisions, players making mistakes in game and some factors out of our control.

I do find the concept of having to blame someone a bit odd though. It’s like you’re desperate to find a scapegoat and hang them out to dry, even though there’s five months left of the season and we’re three points off the top seven.

Also, the idea that inconsistency is exclusively a problem for us is purely ludicrous. Look at York, Spennymoor, Gateshead, Blyth, Boston, Southport, Gloucester and Alfreton. All have already had ups and downs this season. So why make a big deal out of it?

Maybe see how things play out before trying to stick the boot in. A little patience will go a long way.
Finding myself agreeing with you again Darlogramps. It’s a combination of factors for sure.
For me though, it’s basically the exact same factors that we were all quoting back in September so think it’s fair that our patience is beginning to wear out.
Just watched the highlights and our defending was shocking and both Ellis and Lawlor made the same stupid lunges for each goal and we’re then caught miles out of position. These are the guys brought in to fix the problem.
Also, even though a short snapshot of the game the number of crosses they were allowed to make into our box was crazy.
Like I said I have no idea really what AA does next to fix the issue, hopefully he has!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:58 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:52 am

To be fair the referee is right on top of it
The ref from Saturday proved that is no guarantee they will get the decision correct..

For what it's worth, it was a stupid challenge and gave the ref a decision to make. I do think however it was a harsh decision.

As for the team, it's all a bit frustrating. At the start of the season it was clear we were still short in some areas and were impacted particularly severely by covid. However, neither of those things should be happening now. I find it hard to believe we can't get a competent defense out of Ellis, Lawlor, Cooper and Storey, yet we seem to concede 2 goals a game basically.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:28 am

Looking at the highlights I think we were unfortunate with the sending off in so much as their player committed a similarly poor tackle and only received a yellow card. He was fortunate as many referees would have taken the chance to even things up at that point. As for the goals we let in, it makes a change for them not to come from crosses, but unfortunately not a welcome change as we were far to open to players running through the defence.
I agree with other posters that our present position is due to several factors, some of which are beyond anyone’s control. However, the manager has to take some responsibility for poor recruitment in the summer which has led to so much chopping and changing of the team. He should definitely be given more time to put things right but if in another 10/12 games time we are marooned in the lower half of the table and out of the FA Trophy a decision will need to be taken. At that point the manager will have to start assessing which players we want to retain for next season and where we need to strengthen. Whether Armstrong is the right man to do that we will see, but don’t forget next season there will be 4 relegation places and we really don’t want to be flirting with them.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:22 pm

Ellis' signing seemed to have an instant impact on our defensive performance. He then got injured and our defence more or less reverted to type.

Hopefully with him coming back into the side things will tighten up again. Armstrong clearly got his defensive recruitment wrong in the summer but was quick to try to put it right, which it seems he did by bringing in Ellis and then Lawlor. Keep both fit and in the side and I'm sure we'll improve at the back, and provide a solid foundation for our attacking talent to benefit from. The concern is plan B if Ellis and/or Lawlor were not available.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:30 pm

I think most looking at that would say that if Cassidy's challenge is a red, then the Boston player should also have walked as well. It looks unfair in the context of two similar challenges. Yet again we got the s*** end of the stick from the officials but we'll just have to get on with it because this is the standard of a fair number of refs at this level. But it doesn't excuse us getting caught cold in the first few minutes and that will have to improve. The personnel available in defence should be well capable of stringing together a fair number of clean sheets moving forward.

I wouldn't worry too much if Ellis or Lawlor were missing because Storey was improving with every game and was excellent at Kettering when the defence was rock solid after Cooper's unfortunate own goal.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:42 pm

lo36789 wrote:

To be fair the referee is right on top of it and it won't have helped that Cassidy would have been lunging towards him.
Had this discussion on twitter today. Sometimes a ref can be too close to an incident to see it clearly.
When I have reffed games I would try and be around 20 yards from where the ball is so you get a better overall view of whats going on.
Sometimes if something happens right in front of you dont get as clear a picture of whats happened.
Just my opinion of course but one gained from experience of refereeing.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:22 pm

loan_star wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:42 pm
lo36789 wrote:

Had this discussion on twitter today. Sometimes a ref can be too close to an incident to see it clearly.
When I have reffed games I would try and be around 20 yards from where the ball is so you get a better overall view of whats going on.
Sometimes if something happens right in front of you dont get as clear a picture of whats happened.
Just my opinion of course but one gained from experience of refereeing.
Yeh 100% it is more about angles than proximity most of the time. That is what my comment was getting at all he sees is a lunging Cassidy coming towards him studs first over the top of the ball.

I reckon had he been the other side of the challenge, in effect Cassidy's leg side I don't think it would have looked the same. The problem was the ball came back at them quickly.
My opinion wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:59 am
It's all well and good looking at still images several hours after the game has finished. But, in reality the referee does not get the time to analyse still photos to work out the angles etc... In real time there was no difference between the two tackles.
But there was...one was a tackle one was a block in different angles. That can be seen in real time and is just evidenced by the still images.

I personally think they are both yellows. Cassidy's is a worse challenge on the whole but it is clear from the still the contact is glancing.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:27 pm

Is it worth appealing against the red card , or a pointless exercise?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:00 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:27 pm
Is it worth appealing against the red card , or a pointless exercise?
Depends what basis you are appealing on. If it's because the other guy didn't get sent off then no, if it's because another tackle another time wasn't red carded then no, if it's because he won the ball and the other manager said great tackle then no.

If you can prove it was wrong in law. It wasn't a lunge, the leg wasn't straight, there wasn't any danger to the safety of the opponent and the Darlington player was completely in control and could stop himself then yes.

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:47 pm

I think AA said on interview that the ref said Cassidy was sent off because he didn't touch the ball. It looks from the video he does get the ball first. Would what they ref said make a difference in any appeal, or would it purely go down on the lunge/force of the tackle etc?