Meadows Moans

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Old Git
Team Supported: Darlington

Meadows Moans

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:58 am

If you are a regular user of this forum you will probably realise that I enjoy a good moan. Unfortunately, after yesterday’s win I don’t have a lot to whinge about on the pitch, so I am turning my attention to matters off the pitch.
What’s the story with the floodlights? Once again a whole pylon was out of action near the seated stand. It wasn’t too bad yesterday because the days are getting lighter, but when a pylon was out of action for the Gateshead game it was definitely a factor. We have a night game coming up next month and we will need all of the lights working for then. I understand it is the Rugby Clubs responsibility as landlords to sort this out and about time they did. We are paying plenty in rent so we have a right to expect them to provide a decent level of service. Maybe they are fed up because we are looking at moving in the long term, or is it just another indication that they see us as a cash cow to be milked for all it’s worth.
Not sure who is responsible for the goal nets but a similar story with them. Not for the first time this season we had to have running repairs during the match. Surely they are checked before the game starts to make sure they are in good order. Is the football club responsible for that, the officials or the groundsman ?
Finally, the playing surface itself isn’t great. I do understand that it has been an exceptionally dry winter so far, which won’t have helped, but it does seem quite uneven making ball control difficult. Again I believe this is a matter for the Rugby Club to sort out.
I really hope DJ is successful in enabling us to move to our own stadium. At least then we would be masters of our own destiny instead of tenants who are at best tolerated.

loan_star

Re: Meadows Moans

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:15 am

I was on the pitch for the half time competition and I’ve got to say I’ve played on better Sunday league pitches. Mind you I have been on the pitch on other occasions and it’s normally decent enough. Seems like they have been spiking the surface but not rolled it afterwards.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:21 am

- Floodlights. Depends when the issue occurs and can be rectified, if it's a longstanding problem I am sure the club are aware and will know what is required to fix it.
- Goals. Ours.
- On the pitch I highly doubt there is a metric in the terms around pitch "quality". If it is a playable surface then its probably down to personal assessment on what needs to be sorted. If you rent a house and you want a higher spec oven I am not sure you can demand that the landlord 'sort it' if what is there is functioning - and I guess it's a question of how you measure that in pitch terms.

Who did we have to blame when our pitch was like this?

https://youtu.be/PZFXy5oSqe0

As far as I am aware there is an extremely good working relationship with the rugby club despite the seeming desire for that not to be the case amongst the fans. The only thing that ever makes the rugby club think "what's the point in trying, they just blame us for everything" is the comments on social media.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:33 am

Floodlights is a fair point, they should work properly at every game.

The goal nets fair point too. At the start of the second half while the Tinshed end was getting fixed, we noticed there was a hole behind one of the uprights at other end! It seems to happen quite often.

Playing surface poor, another fair point. Surely this just makes things harder for us.

A personal gripe from me is the children's football kickabouts that seem to now take place at every game behind the far end goal. It's off putting, distracting and looks amateurish t.b.h.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:54 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:33 am

A personal gripe from me is the children's football kickabouts that seem to now take place at every game behind the far end goal. It's off putting, distracting and looks amateurish t.b.h.
Lock them up and throw away the key!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:04 am

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:54 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:33 am

Lock them up and throw away the key!
A terrible thing to put ;) I would suggest just asking them to move into one of the corners, they're not watching the game so it won't matter.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:59 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:21 am
- Floodlights. Depends when the issue occurs and can be rectified, if it's a longstanding problem I am sure the club are aware and will know what is required to fix it.
- Goals. Ours.
- On the pitch I highly doubt there is a metric in the terms around pitch "quality". If it is a playable surface then its probably down to personal assessment on what needs to be sorted. If you rent a house and you want a higher spec oven I am not sure you can demand that the landlord 'sort it' if what is there is functioning - and I guess it's a question of how you measure that in pitch terms.

As far as I am aware there is an extremely good working relationship with the rugby club despite the seeming desire for that not to be the case amongst the fans. The only thing that ever makes the rugby club think "what's the point in trying, they just blame us for everything" is the comments on social media.
So if you hire a court at the dolphin centre and the nets are shot and half the lights aren’t working then it’s the hirers fault? :lol:

The rugby club rent the pitch to us, they own the lights, set it up ready including putting the goals and nets up I believe. If there is an issue with the nets then they either inform the club, if we own them, or get it sorted if they own them!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:46 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:21 am
- Goals. Ours.

DJ has been at pains to point out that the relationship between the two clubs has improved of late, presumably since the departure of Wilkinson. Not so certain that it can be described as extremely good, as it seemed really poor in the past, just better. I suppose the only people who know for sure are the parties involved.
As for the powers that be at the Rugby Club scouring social media for negative comments, I doubt that very much. Just on the off chance however, if they are reading this, please get your act together or at least offer an explanation as to why the floodlights are so unreliable.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:04 pm

Blackwell is one of most tinpot grounds, if not the most tinpot ground in the league.

Totally agree regarding the floodlight fiasco, even at Conference North level having one corner of the ground in total darkness against Gateshead was embarrassing, there are many clubs in the leagues below with similar floodlight pylons that are all fully functioning, surely it's not too much to ask?

As for the pitch, it's been the same for years yesterday was no exception it was bone dry and you could see the dust kicking up from under the players studs, it's winter and when there's football and rugby on it on a weekly basis you can hardly expect a bowling green.

As for the kids having a kick about? Give over! It should be a welcome distraction after the dross the first team have served up in recent weeks! :lol:
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:44 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:46 pm
As for the powers that be at the Rugby Club scouring social media for negative comments, I doubt that very much.
I know pretty much all the committee personally...and know for a fact they are members of the Tin Shed Facebook group for a start.
loan_star wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:59 am
So if you hire a court at the dolphin centre and the nets are shot and half the lights aren’t working then it’s the hirers fault?
No...as I said light should work - but not sure what the reason is. There may be a part on order. I'm saying I expect the club are aware why.

The nets are as I understand it ours - the rugby club hire us a pitch I don't suspect they had much use for football goals and a football goal net before we showed up.

If you don't like the surface at the dolphin centre then you should hire somewhere else. I don't think you can expect the Dolphin Centre to get a new floor put in because you don't think it's good enough.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:29 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:44 pm
Old Git wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:46 pm
As for the powers that be at the Rugby Club scouring social media for negative comments, I doubt that very much.
I know pretty much all the committee personally...and know for a fact they are members of the Tin Shed Facebook group for a start.

Ok then perhaps you could use your influence to ask them what the problem is with the lights and when they expect it to be fixed.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:38 pm

Why? So I can relay it on a message board coz you can't be bothered to ask the football club yourself directly.

Always thought the quickest way to get things fixed was to moan about problems into an echo chamber.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:17 pm

I just noticed yesterday the new signage at the road which mentions we play there so credit for that.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:43 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:38 pm
Why? So I can relay it on a message board coz you can't be bothered to ask the football club yourself directly.

Always thought the quickest way to get things fixed was to moan about problems into an echo chamber.
No just want to test out your statement about knowing most of the committee personally. If you do wouldn’t you be well placed to to provide a quick answer direct from the horse’s mouth.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:51 pm

Having some of the floodlights out is amateur, just like all of that mess that was/still is around the dressing rooms/other turnstiles.

The pitch is also shocking. The club should invest in a portable sprinkler system. The likelihood is we are going to me at BM for quite some time, so we might as well make the best of it.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:49 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:43 pm
No just want to test out your statement about knowing most of the committee personally. If you do wouldn’t you be well placed to to provide a quick answer direct from the horse’s mouth.
Short answer is that it is being sorted.

Long answer seems to be more about a question of fix / upgrade and boils down to longevity of the fix and for whose benefit.

Big Al 68

Post by Big Al 68 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:54 pm

I will hold my hand up about the nets. I was planning to check them pre match but unfortunately due to various reasons we were short of 3 of our usual volunteering crew we normally have and it fell on me to cover their roles (mainly because there was no one else). By the time I'd sorted that out it was teamsheet time then typing and printing out the handout sheets. Hopefully next home match we'll have some if not all of them will be back and I can have a look before everyone arrives.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:24 pm

Big Al 68 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:54 pm
I will hold my hand up about the nets. I was planning to check them pre match but unfortunately due to various reasons we were short of 3 of our usual volunteering crew we normally have and it fell on me to cover their roles (mainly because there was no one else). By the time I'd sorted that out it was teamsheet time then typing and printing out the handout sheets. Hopefully next home match we'll have some if not all of them will be back and I can have a look before everyone arrives.
I wouldn't worry. It was only raised on the hope sorting our nets was the rugby clubs responsibility so they could be blamed.

Big Al 68

Post by Big Al 68 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:41 pm

Unfortunately they are ours.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:45 pm

Big Al 68 wrote:
If you ever find yourself short on a matchday and need a hand with anything Al, just give me a shout. More than happy to lend a hand if needed temporarily :thumbup:

I’ll always be about somewhere.

Big Al 68

Post by Big Al 68 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:05 pm

Cheers mate. Appreciated. Trouble is most of the stuff that needs to be done is before 1:30 and after 5:30 when the fans aren't in the ground. It's the joys of being part of a volunteer run club sometimes.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:15 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:24 pm
Big Al 68 wrote:
I wouldn't worry. It was only raised on the hope sorting our nets was the rugby clubs responsibility so they could be blamed.
I refer you back to my original post where I asked the question whether it was the the football clubs responsibility. I would have assumed that it probably was, although normally the assistant referees check them before the start of the game. I am beginning to think you might not only be friendly with the Rugby Club officials, but you probably are one, given your constant defence of them.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:21 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:24 pm
Big Al 68 wrote:
This is just plain wrong. Take a look at oldgit’s original post.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:25 pm

Big Al 68 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:05 pm
Cheers mate. Appreciated. Trouble is most of the stuff that needs to be done is before 1:30 and after 5:30 when the fans aren't in the ground. It's the joys of being part of a volunteer run club sometimes.
Just shot me message on Facebook if you need anything before 1.30pm. I live 15 mins away, so can always be available at short notice (providing I’m not in Grimsby seeing little en).
Normally have a pint after the game today, so always about :thumbup:

Big Al 68

Post by Big Al 68 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:36 pm

Will do mate. As I said, it's appreciated.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:40 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:15 pm
I am beginning to think you might not only be friendly with the Rugby Club officials, but you probably are one, given your constant defence of them.
Haha I'm busy enough with other commitments...just tired of lazy moans really.

It's almost like the default position is a desire for there to be an issue. Like the very thought of benefit of the doubt or seeing things from alternative perspectives is just too much effort.

Fair enough you did leave the door open for it to be a football club responsibility...sure there were messages making it out that it was a rugby club responsibility to set up the pitch for us.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:50 pm

lo36789 wrote:
If you don't like the surface at the dolphin centre then you should hire somewhere else. I don't think you can expect the Dolphin Centre to get a new floor put in because you don't think it's good enough.

Come on lo!! You wouldn't sign a 20 year lease (or whatever it is) with the Dolphin Centre.

As you are so well connected with the Rugby club, do you know who is responsible for the pitch condition, them? Us? Or is it a joint thing?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:22 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:50 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Come on lo!! You wouldn't sign a 20 year lease (or whatever it is) with the Dolphin Centre.

As you are so well connected with the Rugby club, do you know who is responsible for the pitch condition, them? Us? Or is it a joint thing?
It is their volunteer groundsman, I think we brought in Gary Ventress to help out at one point but that was before the resurfacing.

I understand the football club are consulted on what maintenance the pitch gets.

The reality is the rugby club haven't given themselves the £40k a year outlay for a groundsman (thats what a step 4 club I know pay gross) for the sake of £25k of rent.
Last edited by lo36789 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:27 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:22 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:50 pm
lo36789 wrote:

It is their groundsman, thought we brought in Gary Ventress to help out at one point but that was before the resurfacing.

As I understand it though the football club are consulted on what maintenance the pitch gets, but as far as I am aware the rugby club havn't given themselves the £40k a year outlay for a groundsman (thats what a step 4 club I know pay - incl NI etc.) for the sake of £25k of rent.
Ventress walked out as he couldn’t work with the rugby lot.
Why is it you seem to take the opposite stance on everything? Criticise the officials and you back them, criticise the rugby club and you back them too. :roll:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:30 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:27 pm
Why is it you seem to take the opposite stance on everything? Criticise the officials and you back them, criticise the rugby club and you back them too. :roll:
Try not criticising people...see where I stand then :angel:

So I was right about Gary coming in? And was it before the resurfacing?

If we wanted it to be better we'd have to pay for the resource to upgrade?