Alfreton V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

loan_star
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Alfreton V Darlington

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:12 pm

Very easy for people to have a pop at the two who missed the penalties, although technically not missed as they hit the target and the keeper guess correctly both times, but at least Cassidy and Mondal both had the balls to step up and take one.
Personally I would have though Cassidy would have wanted to put things right by taking the second. Seen it before when two pens were missed by different players in the same team for Darlo, McLean and Woodcock years ago v Bristol city I think!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:49 pm

I like the third kit being used again :thumbup: Ukraine colours.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Alfreton V Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:19 pm

loan_star wrote:Very easy for people to have a pop at the two who missed the penalties.
Forgive me but I can’t see anyone on here who has had a pop at Mondal or Cassidy in this thread.

loan_star wrote: although technically not missed as they hit the target and the keeper guess correctly both times
Have watched both penalties on the highlights. I think with both, because of the players’ body positions, the keeper can probably work out where the penalties are going. You use the word guess, but for me I think it’s more a case the keeper read correctly where both were going to put them.

I’m only going off the highlights, but Cassidy’s is a reasonably placed effort that was a little easy to read and needed more power. Once you open your body to sidefoot it in, a relatively competent keeper will have a good idea where it’s going.

For Mondal, it’s very easy to read. You can tell from Mondal’s body shape which corner he’s going for. It’s slightly off the floor so a good height for the keeper. Not a lot of pace and places it too centrally as well.

So for me, I wouldn’t say it’s a case of the keeper guessing, just that he read both penalties and where they were going.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:19 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:34 pm
Billy bemoans refereeing "injustices"....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ouaThNiwo

As far as penalty takers go maybe we had the solution in our own hands all along...

Northern League Division 1

Billingham Town 1 (Beeden (pen) Crook Town 3 (Thomas 3) :D

https://twitter.com/i/status/1512803142123020293
Having seen the highlights, they were both penalties, but storey was lucky to avoid a red card in the first half

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:49 am

tdk1 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:19 am
LoidLucan wrote:

As far as penalty takers go maybe we had the solution in our own hands all along...

Having seen the highlights, they were both penalties, but storey was lucky to avoid a red card in the first half
Sorry I disagree, for me both penalties were very soft, especially the second one. Mondal is clever and uses his body to make it look like a foul but for me the referee is too easily fooled. I also don’t agree about Storey’s foul, there is very little contact and the striker goes down too easily. Barely a foul in my eyes let alone a red card. All in all poor refereeing all round.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:51 am

Yes Storey looks fortunate to escape with a yellow. He had a good game back apart from that. Stick him alongside an experienced defender and he normally looks pretty decent. Lawlor was excellent - really hope we can get him signed up for next season.

Second penalty was clear as day - it was right in front of me. Not sure about the first one

Quite bizarre what's happening with the penalties. Cassidy's wasn't as bad as it looked at the ground, but still very weak, and Mondal's looked completely devoid of any confidence. Genuinely no idea who is next on the list to give it a go - Hedley to just put his laces through it?

Despite all that, nice to see us in the playoff places (albeit probably only until tomorrow). Imperative we beat Curzon on Friday, considering how tough our 2 games after that are

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:25 am

Fantastic following from Darlo, who made up half - if not more than the home fans in attendance.

Superb.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:29 am

Most times a keeper will commit himself to dive full length to the right or left and that has happened on all of our missed penalties. I'm still very much of the opinion that if you just belt it with force down the middle, you'll score more times than not. Even if the keeper stands his ground (which doesn't happen very often) it's difficult to keep it out if the ball is given enough wellie down the middle. Wasn't that the Alan Walsh way... and he didn't too bad for us.

We do need to get this penalty taker situation properly sorted instead of just seemingly making our way through the squad each time someone misses. Vital points have been lost. Some more practice is clearly needed especially if we make it into the playoffs as the way it looks at present you wouldn't be putting your shirt on us making our way through a shoot-out.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:00 am

2 points dropped but still lots of positives overall, I agree with an earlier post, lets get Thompson on the pens, huge congrats to AA. the rest of the staff staff and players for turning around what was looking like a poor season, having the luxury of rotation due to squad size has been key IMO

Onto Friday let get a big crowd in and get behind the lads!!! CMON DARLO

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:06 am

Heaton out wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:00 am
2 points dropped but still lots of positives overall, I agree with an earlier post, lets get Thompson on the pens, huge congrats to AA. the rest of the staff staff and players for turning around what was looking like a poor season, having the luxury of rotation due to squad size has been key IMO

I would find it a bit disappointing if we had to rely on an inexperienced loanee in Connor Thompson to take penalties when we have a large squad of fairly experienced players. I suppose it is all about who has the confidence and mental attitude to want to step up under pressure. I would have thought Jack Lambert would be a likely candidate, because he is a decent striker of the ball, but as I say it is all about confidence and attitude. Probably a mute point anyway, as having 4 penalties in the last 5 games we have probably used up our ration for the rest of the season anyway.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:53 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:19 pm
loan_star wrote:Very easy for people to have a pop at the two who missed the penalties.
Forgive me but I can’t see anyone on here who has had a pop at Mondal or Cassidy in this thread.

loan_star wrote: although technically not missed as they hit the target and the keeper guess correctly both times
Have watched both penalties on the highlights. I think with both, because of the players’ body positions, the keeper can probably work out where the penalties are going. You use the word guess, but for me I think it’s more a case the keeper read correctly where both were going to put them.

I’m only going off the highlights, but Cassidy’s is a reasonably placed effort that was a little easy to read and needed more power. Once you open your body to sidefoot it in, a relatively competent keeper will have a good idea where it’s going.

For Mondal, it’s very easy to read. You can tell from Mondal’s body shape which corner he’s going for. It’s slightly off the floor so a good height for the keeper. Not a lot of pace and places it too centrally as well.

So for me, I wouldn’t say it’s a case of the keeper guessing, just that he read both penalties and where they were going.
People at the match were having a go at the players who missed. I didnt say "on this thread".
As for the second half of your post, you call it read correctly, I call it a guess. Judging by the body shape the keeper "read correctly" or "guessed" which way they were going so he "read it correctly" or "guessed correctly", no difference at all.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:56 am

Old Git wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:06 am
I would have thought Jack Lambert would be a likely candidate, because he is a decent striker of the ball
As long as his penalties are better than his other set pieces which are very hit and miss lately.

Piggy_

Post by Piggy_ » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:03 pm

Old Git wrote:
Heaton out wrote:

I would find it a bit disappointing if we had to rely on an inexperienced loanee in Connor Thompson to take penalties when we have a large squad of fairly experienced players. I suppose it is all about who has the confidence and mental attitude to want to step up under pressure. I would have thought Jack Lambert would be a likely candidate, because he is a decent striker of the ball, but as I say it is all about confidence and attitude. Probably a mute point anyway, as having 4 penalties in the last 5 games we have probably used up our ration for the rest of the season anyway.
What is the situation with Thompson? Is he expected to feature against Curzon?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:05 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:49 am
tdk1 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:19 am
LoidLucan wrote:

Sorry I disagree, for me both penalties were very soft, especially the second one. Mondal is clever and uses his body to make it look like a foul but for me the referee is too easily fooled. I also don’t agree about Storey’s foul, there is very little contact and the striker goes down too easily. Barely a foul in my eyes let alone a red card. All in all poor refereeing all round.
On the penalties, I think it's probably more fitting to say that neither of them *weren't* penalties. They weren't dives, there was contact that caused them to go down.

I don't really see how anyone could argue storey wasn't lucky to stay on.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:38 pm

loan_star wrote: People at the match were having a go at the players who missed. I didnt say "on this thread".
You also didn’t say you were talking about people at the match. Thank you for clarifying your initial post.
loan_star wrote: As for the second half of your post, you call it read correctly, I call it a guess. Judging by the body shape the keeper "read correctly" or "guessed" which way they were going so he "read it correctly" or "guessed correctly", no difference at all.
With respect, I’m going to disagree. “Guessed correctly” implies he had no idea where it was going and was fortunate enough to have gone the right way. It would suggest he didn’t know and made a lucky guess in diving to his left.

What I’m saying is the keeper knew which way to dive because of the body shapes of Mondal and Cassidy. For example, as he sidefoots the ball, Cassidy opens up his body, giving a big hint he’s placing the ball low to the keeper’s left. The Alfreton keeper can read that and choose accordingly.

I don’t believe it was a guess. Willis knew where it was going through reading Cassidy‘s technique, run-up and body shape.

Very similar for Mondal - indeed I think that was easier to read, and the actual penalty was much closer to the keeper.

So for that reason, I’m respectfully going to disagree with you.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:03 pm

I wondered why Thompson missed the Alfreton match. Loanee or no, I would have had him taking the penalties & hope he would be interested in a contract with us next season. Very quick & lively, capable of opening up most defences.
Meanwhile AA must get the lads practising pens, I mean the could come into the playoff mix if we do get into them. " Be prepared"!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:46 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:38 pm

With respect, I’m going to disagree. “Guessed correctly” implies he had no idea where it was going and was fortunate enough to have gone the right way. It would suggest he didn’t know and made a lucky guess in diving to his left.

What I’m saying is the keeper knew which way to dive because of the body shapes of Mondal and Cassidy. For example, as he sidefoots the ball, Cassidy opens up his body, giving a big hint he’s placing the ball low to the keeper’s left. The Alfreton keeper can read that and choose accordingly.

I don’t believe it was a guess. Willis knew where it was going through reading Cassidy‘s technique, run-up and body shape.

Very similar for Mondal - indeed I think that was easier to read, and the actual penalty was much closer to the keeper.

So for that reason, I’m respectfully going to disagree with you.
Or in other words "Looking at his body shape and run up I'm guessing hes going to my right (or left)"
As I said its exactly the same, just using different words.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:52 pm

I think we’re both splitting hairs now but the word “guess” would imply there’s luck involved, that the keeper didn’t really know which way they were going and got lucky.

My interpretation is the keeper knew which way they were going because neither were particularly good penalties as they were both easy to read. It wasn’t a guess as he’d worked it out.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:53 pm

Old Git wrote:
Heaton out wrote:

Providing he scores I would be one bit disappointed or bothered if a loanee was to take the penalties, the lad is talented and clearly has the ability to play at a higher level so is worth a go on pens IMO, saying that I do agree Jack Lambert would be a good shout but after not taking any of the last 3 (post Hatfield) I wonder if he doesn't fancy them

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:55 pm

jjljks wrote:I wondered why Thompson missed the Alfreton match. Loanee or no, I would have had him taking the penalties & hope he would be interested in a contract with us next season. Very quick & lively, capable of opening up most defences.
Meanwhile AA must get the lads practising pens, I mean the could come into the playoff mix if we do get into them. " Be prepared"!
How do you know we don't practice penalties? Practising them isn't an automatic guarantee that you'll score them every time.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:27 pm

Old Git wrote:
Heaton out wrote:

I think Thompson’s first name is Cameron but leaving that to one side I don’t consider him to be “an inexperienced loanee”. To me he is a gifted 22 year old professional footballer and it seemed he’s been a full time pro for 4 years.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:43 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:27 pm
Old Git wrote:
Heaton out wrote:

I think Thompson’s first name is Cameron but leaving that to one side I don’t consider him to be “an inexperienced loanee”. To me he is a gifted 22 year old professional footballer and it seemed he’s been a full time pro for 4 years.
Apologies for getting his name mixed up. Probably an old age thing. I take your point but I think he is unlikely to be with us next season so it might be better to look for a penalty taker who is hopefully going to provide a more permanent solution to the problem.