Darlington V Brackley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington V Brackley

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:14 am

Not sure what to expect this afternoon, in terms of performance or attendance. Obviously Brackley will be pushing hard for the win, hopefully we have a enough about us to nick a win.

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Darlington V Brackley

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:49 am

They have a very tight defence. They've only let in 20 goals - it's going to be tough.

I expect them to just keep on churning the ball over, keeping a steady pressure upon us.

Meanwhile we need at least 9 points from 4 games :shock: It's possible but unrealistic.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:04 pm

Nobody seems keen to comment immediately. As an exile viewing from afar, I simply hope we don't end the season dropping slowly down the bottom half of the league.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:12 pm

We were never at the races today they were too big and organized for our powder puff attack even so we made them work hard for the win badly need a decent centre forward roll on next season

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:31 pm

Lots of tippy tap football, just not enough penetration, apart from two good moves early on In the second half down the right , just couldn’t get the finish right.
Season over now, a lot of work for AA to do in the coming months.
I am not sure our type of football in this league will ever bring us the success I would like .

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:32 pm

darlo reborn wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:12 pm
We were never at the races today they were too big and organized for our powder puff attack even so we made them work hard for the win badly need a decent centre forward roll on next season
Never at the races??.We could/should have been 2 up before they scored.

Pleased I don’t have to listen to their manager every week.What a gobshite.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:48 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:32 pm
darlo reborn wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:12 pm
Never at the races??.We could/should have been 2 up before they scored.

Pleased I don’t have to listen to their manager every week.What a gobshite.
Totally agree - we had two great chances before a mistake by Ellis led to their goal - if one of those had gone in it’d have been a very different game

I thought we were decent today but seemed to run out of steam after 70mins or so

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:48 pm

Think today kind of summed up where we are.

We can compete against any team in the league and even have spells where we are the better team but we can only do it in for part of a game. Yes they were very organised and that is definitely a feature of the top teams which we are a long way from, yet until say 60 mins you would not have known which team was in with a chance of winning the league.

We again missed chances, they took theirs and just rode out the game. Fair to say they did a Brackley on us😁!

We all know we need a couple of forwards, theirs was mobile, strong and most importantly scored. For me, if we can sign Lawlor then we can let Ellis go as we don’t need 3, 30+ centre halves. Don’t see him as anything like as good as the other two and was at fault today for the first goal.

Thought Lawlor was our best player again and just hope AA can persuade him to stay. Liked the look of Lowe too and is different and more physical than the other midfielders and again hope we can sign him.

On a positive, we have competed for long spells of every game against the top 3 teams home and away so optimism for next year with the addition I reckon of 3/4, including a goal scorer.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:34 pm

A win would sure have done gateshead a favour
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:14 pm

Brackley concede so few goals that if you get a couple of chances against them you really have to take them. We didn't take them and paid the price. I wish they would just get on with it and get promoted. They are well resourced, very well organised and have been for years. In fact best outcome now would be for them to finally bite the bullet and get promoted. Then we can get them replaced with some good old northern clubs like King's Lynn and Banbury😀

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:23 pm

Can only assume that Cassidy was not fully fit, because we missed his physical presence today.Against a team that has only conceded 20 goals all season it was asking a lot of Thompson to play as a lone central striker.
After we missed the two good chances early in the second half it felt like we had missed our opportunity, and it was hardly surprising they went on to punish us. It may be stating the bleeding obvious, but we really seem to be struggling against full time teams at the present time. We seem to compete for 60/70 minutes then run out of steam a bit. Looking at the top end of the league, I believe the top 4 Gateshead Brackley Fylde and Kidderminster are all full time, and over the course of a season it does make a big difference. Not only are they able to attract some of the best players, but they have a fitness edge which inevitably gives them an advantage as the season progresses. It is a tall order for part time teams like ourselves to compete, but for now we will just have to keep trying.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:24 pm

More likely Buxton and Scarborough

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:00 pm

Today's game had such an end of season feel about it, it was flat both and off the pitch the atmosphere resembled that of a golf course there was no energy or enthusiasm either in the stands or on the pitch in the first half. You wouldn't have known there was one team still with a shout (albeit an unlikely one) for the play offs and another challenging for the league title.

In some ways Brackley reminded me of us under Dave Penney in 2007/08 the way they set up, they were solid at the back and we never looked like troubling them in the first 45 but on the same token they rarely stretched us at the other end. Although we defended well, Jake Lawlor being the pick of the bunch at the back for me, it seemed they tried to walk it through us and were always looking to pass rather than shoot although they came close a couple of times forcing Tommy into a double save and rattling the cross bar.

The second half we started brightly and had two very good chances which we should have done much better with, Thompson really had to get his effort on target and Moke should really have tested their keeper more than he did. We had plenty of the ball but it mostly went from side to side and backwards, their goal was very similar to Gateshead's third on Monday, a long clearance that found it's way to Ndlovu who broke through and scored questionable defending on our part but his shot had some power behind it no keeper was stopping it.

The penalty looked soft but that said so did Lambert's against Gateshead swings and roundabouts and all that, they ran the clock down after that and I think we ran out of ideas more than we ran out of steam in the end. The heat certainly played a part today and made it difficult for both sides to play at a high tempo, although they're the second I don't think I could watch Brackley every week very their set up and style of play may get results but it's not pretty to watch.

Unfortunately we are simply not good enough to go up this season, although it's disappointing the way we've fallen away after we occupied the last play off place a couple of weeks ago keeping the run going with the run of fixtures we had was always going to be a tall order. It may well be a blessing in disguise as we are not nearly ready for the National League either on or off the pitch but there are positive signs that we are moving in the right direction, hopefully this summer we'll have no disruption and get the recruitment right first time!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:56 am

Glad we won't be playing Brackley in the league next season, even if it was because their very loud gob-shite of a manager who alone made more noise than the Tin Shed. This verbal attack on every decision that went against them was taken up by their #7 & #9 who abused both ref & young lino with foul language.
Yes, they took 2 of 5 chances to score and we took none of ours. Our attackers were outmuscled by a huge & well organised Brackley team. Having said that, several good efforts from Lowe & Thompson who both deserve a place in next season's squad.
One worry when leaving the game (incidentally I did stay to bitter end, unlike a lot of fans who left early) there were mutterings in the diehard throng that they may not renew their season tickets. AA & DJ need to offer some hope to fans before next season very quickly to stop the rot.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:07 am

Hatfield, we missed him yesterday, his energy and the way he used to make things happen by running with the ball.

Stating the obvious I suppose…..
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:33 am

jjljks wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:56 am
Glad we won't be playing Brackley in the league next season, even if it was because their very loud gob-shite of a manager who alone made more noise than the Tin Shed. This verbal attack on every decision that went against them was taken up by their #7 & #9 who abused both ref & young lino with foul language.
Yes, they took 2 of 5 chances to score and we took none of ours. Our attackers were outmuscled by a huge & well organised Brackley team. Having said that, several good efforts from Lowe & Thompson who both deserve a place in next season's squad.
One worry when leaving the game (incidentally I did stay to bitter end, unlike a lot of fans who left early) there were mutterings in the diehard throng that they may not renew their season tickets. AA & DJ need to offer some hope to fans before next season very quickly to stop the rot.
Listening to the interview with the Brackley Manager after the match, he took issue with Alun's comments before the game and the 3-0 defeat at their place, he must have played that interview to them before the game as Ndlovu mentioned it as well in his interview. This team is too "Spursy" for my liking, we had the playoffs in our grasp and bottled it. From where we started we have done well to get to a playoff position, but then it completely fell apart.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:36 am

jjljks wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:56 am
If people can't see it I am not sure what AA & DJ can offer. We got ourselves back in with a shout.

If we had converted one of the penalties against Alfreton I think we'd have beaten Curzon Ashton. No excuses really but it happens time and time again it is just that loss of momentum that then screeches to a halt.

Losing against Gateshead and Brackley is and was expected. The first half performance against Gateshead and mostly holding Brackley are actually positives.

If people are that fickle that they give up due to 1 frustrating (Alfreton) and 1 bad (Curzon) result there really isn't much our manager and CEO can do.

Maybe offer them their season tickets in a box which they can then play with.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:17 am

Given that we started the season with a shortage in the squad, AA tried to wait for players to come free, because of the budget and the expectation that a lot of players would become free agents from higher up the league (which I thought so too to be honest), and it didn't work out, so started slowly. But team built up and doing well, (top scorers in the league at one time), then we lose our top scorer and also our captain, through no fault of the club, (richer clubs are always going to have that pull on good players, but also helps our finances). Given all that we still got close to a play off place, and while the Curston Ashton games a massive disappointment I feel we have played some good football at times this year and have the makings of a very good squad for next year, especially if we can sign Lowe, Rose and Thompson, plus get a striker in.

Given our run in against 3 of the top teams in last 6 games, I did not think we would make it into the play off's if I am honest given our limited goal threat, but I am quite pleased with this season,seen some good football, bit of excitement near the play off's and looking forward to next season already, let's hope :thumbup:

Just hoping the players can really go all out for 3 wins in the last games so they finish the season on a high.

As for people not renewing season tickets, that is up to them of course, but not sure what else the board and management can do given our situation and the competition in the league with full time teams. I was thinking of giving the BTB a rest next season, after contributing each year, but quite excited for next year now so have changed my mind and will be supporting it as we should start the season with a decent team from game one.

Up the Quakers :D

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:29 am

50 years wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:17 am
Given that we started the season with a shortage in the squad, AA tried to wait for players to come free, because of the budget and the expectation that a lot of players would become free agents from higher up the league (which I thought so too to be honest), and it didn't work out, so started slowly. But team built up and doing well, (top scorers in the league at one time), then we lose our top scorer and also our captain, through no fault of the club, (richer clubs are always going to have that pull on good players, but also helps our finances). Given all that we still got close to a play off place, and while the Curston Ashton games a massive disappointment I feel we have played some good football at times this year and have the makings of a very good squad for next year, especially if we can sign Lowe, Rose and Thompson, plus get a striker in.

Given our run in against 3 of the top teams in last 6 games, I did not think we would make it into the play off's if I am honest given our limited goal threat, but I am quite pleased with this season,seen some good football, bit of excitement near the play off's and looking forward to next season already, let's hope :thumbup:

Just hoping the players can really go all out for 3 wins in the last games so they finish the season on a high.

As for people not renewing season tickets, that is up to them of course, but not sure what else the board and management can do given our situation and the competition in the league with full time teams. I was thinking of giving the BTB a rest next season, after contributing each year, but quite excited for next year now so have changed my mind and will be supporting it as we should start the season with a decent team from game one.

Up the Quakers :D
As usual you have summed up the situation very well. We are always going to be up against it given the current financial setup of the club. The way out of this is for us to develop our own stadium and to expand our revenue streams. DJ is actively working on this, but it is a long term solution, not a quick fix. Working with the Council and other partners means we have to go at their pace and supporters need to show patience. I would think it could take 3 to 5 years to come to fruition. In the meantime, BTB, season ticket sales and fundraising are essential to keep the club ticking over.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:40 am

We Darlington fc have got to this stage by everyone pulling together now is not the time for some to throw in the towel, it is a fan ownership club as so everyone needs to stick together, we the fans decide how far the club goes by virtue of the amount of monies that each and every one of us provides for the next season's campaign, I will BTB as I have done since it's inception, it's my club and I want the club back in the football league EFL. so come on lads and lasses it your club it's your choice, :thumbup:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:30 am

I've just looked at the goals from Saturday. They seemed bad at the time but look even worse on the highlights. Both Ellis and Griffiths thinking about their holidays.....
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:39 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:30 am
I've just looked at the goals from Saturday. They seemed bad at the time but look even worse on the highlights. Both Ellis and Griffiths thinking about their holidays.....
I know Ellis was not fully fit at Gateshead but Storey and himself were both wrong side of gateshead players and fourth gateshead goal Ellis came for the ball very similar no way near leaving Storey a one on one which he got slated for it by AA but Lawlor was one on one for second goal didn't get a tackle in but no one said anything. Without a Wheater covering and telling the other CB to be positioned , Lawlor, Ellis or Storey get found out.