Signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darloed19
Team Supported: Darlington

Signings

Post by darloed19 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:25 pm

What signings does everyone want then for next season.

PierremontQuaker03

Re: Signings

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:41 pm

We need to get rid of plenty of players as well :)
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:07 pm

Got to get a striker in, Jacob Hazel would be the one I’d be going for all round striker pace power strength and knows where the goal is. Paul Blackett is another I’d look at too.

A winger is also a priority especially if we get rid of rivers, Kevin Hayes from Stockton could be worth a punt or Joe Leesley- knows where the goal is especially in this league. Would maybe look at Kain Felix too if Guiseley go down.

We also need to prioritise trying to persuade Rose and Lawlor to stay both are a class above this level.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:50 pm

I honestly can’t dig any names out in particular, but I hope we go through the released lists of the big local sides and see what we can put together. The budget is likely to be tight if we are trying to find a new ground so hopefully we can find some rough diamonds and get the best out of them.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:55 am

H1987 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:50 pm
I honestly can’t dig any names out in particular, but I hope we go through the released lists of the big local sides and see what we can put together. The budget is likely to be tight if we are trying to find a new ground so hopefully we can find some rough diamonds and get the best out of them.
Rougher the better & preferably big, fast & ugly. :thumbup:

norwich darlo

Post by norwich darlo » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:14 am

jjljks wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:55 am
H1987 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:50 pm
Rougher the better & preferably big, fast & ugly. :thumbup:
Sounds like my missus

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:41 pm

Far too much time on my hands today but I’d love our squad to look something like this next season

GK

Tommy Taylor
Lucas Martin

Defenders

Kallum Griffiths
Ben Hedley
George Smith
David Wheater
Jake Lawlor
Danny Ellis
+1 young CB

Midfield

Danny Rose
Adriano Moke
Alex Purver
Connor Malley

Wingers

Jack Lambert
Kevin Dos Santos
Joe Leesley
Kaine Felix

Strikers

Mark Beck or Aaron Martin
Cameron Thompson
Paul Blackett

Would probably blow our budget however

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:07 pm

Pretty much in agreement with Lallacab on who we retain.

Basically we lose Beeden, B Taylor, Hope, Storey, Wheatley, Mondal, Rivers, Cassidy, and make decisions on whether we're going to try and sign the loanees. I'd go for Thompson, Rose and possibly O'neill if any of them are available to sign permanently. Not so sure on Lowe and the other dude, I just don't know enough about them. Leave that one to the manager I guess.

I'm torn on Cassidy mind, a true 100 percenter but 5 goals all season is abysmal. Rivers I think might be a bit stale. Mondal briefly impressed up front but not on the wing. Storey just hasn't hit his full potential and I guess we can't wait forever. Maybe dropping a division and playing more regularly will do him some good in the long run.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:36 pm

Thing with Cassidy is, it shouldn’t come as a great surprise he’s not a goalscorer. He never has been so we weren’t signing him for his goalscoring record. We signed him because we needed more of a presence up front.

In the previous two seasons, we were crying out for that type of forward, a physical presence who gets through loads of work but occupies the defenders and stops our other forwards getting bullied.

I guess if there’s someone out there who offers that physical presence but is a bit more prolific in front of goal, that may sway things. But right now, on the basis he offers us something different, I’m leaning towards keeping him. But we’ll definitely need at least two more goalscoring-minded forwards.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:43 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:36 pm
Thing with Cassidy is, it shouldn’t come as a great surprise he’s not a goalscorer. He never has been so we weren’t signing him for his goalscoring record. We signed him because we needed more of a presence up front.

In the previous two seasons, we were crying out for that type of forward, a physical presence who gets through loads of work but occupies the defenders and stops our other forwards getting bullied.

I guess if there’s someone out there who offers that physical presence but is a bit more prolific in front of goal, that may sway things. But right now, on the basis he offers us something different, I’m leaning towards keeping him. But we’ll definitely need at least two more goalscoring-minded forwards.
I wasn't expecting him to be prolific but maybe 10 goals would have been better. As Cassidy primarily played in higher leagues I thought his goal scoring may be a little bit better at this level. Conlon scored 11, 17, 14 goals in his first 3 seasons with us, and he was a similar striker.

If he had a regular partner who was a regular goal scorer it makes things easier for sure.

Like I said, I'm torn. Can't question his work rate, commitment and ability to rough things up.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:55 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:43 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:36 pm

I wasn't expecting him to be prolific but maybe 10 goals would have been better. As Cassidy primarily played in higher leagues I thought his goal scoring may be a little bit better at this level. Conlon scored 11, 17, 14 goals in his first 3 seasons with us, and he was a similar striker.

If he had a regular partner who was a regular goal scorer it makes things easier for sure.

Like I said, I'm torn. Can't question his work rate, commitment and ability to rough things up.
I’m also on the fence with Cassidy, his work rate is good but end product is lacking. Saying that, we’re the 7th highest scorers in the league so scoring goals hasn’t been the issue this season, it’s been keeping them out.

I’m more concerned with the age and injury record of Wheater and Ellis. Both are more than good enough for us, but if they need resting 1 game in 3 then we can’t develop a settled back line which will hopefully reduce our goals against total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:11 pm

Re Cassidy, he looked great when Charman was in the team. I reckon keep him and play to his strengths. IMO we’re better with him than without him.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:52 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:11 pm
Re Cassidy, he looked great when Charman was in the team. I reckon keep him and play to his strengths. IMO we’re better with him than without him.
For me if we can’t get a Mark Beck or Aaron Martin type of player I’d keep Cassidy too

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:17 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:52 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:11 pm
For me if we can’t get a Mark Beck or Aaron Martin type of player I’d keep Cassidy too
I can’t believe we’re thinking of letting Cassidy go tbh! He’s a deffo keep imho

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:09 pm

Can't fault him for effort, but Cassidy has missed some crucial chances that have cost us this season. Some real sitters. It's all right saying he isn't in the team for goals, but he plays up front and will get chances. Sometimes you only get one chance in a match and if that chance falls to a striker then you want him to be able to put it away, not hope that it always falls to the other guy.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:27 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:09 pm
Can't fault him for effort, but Cassidy has missed some crucial chances that have cost us this season. Some real sitters. It's all right saying he isn't in the team for goals, but he plays up front and will get chances. Sometimes you only get one chance in a match and if that chance falls to a striker then you want him to be able to put it away, not hope that it always falls to the other guy.
By the same token he has won us some crucial points through chances created for others.

It's alright saying someone is in the team just to score goals but if he does nothing else then you won't create that one chance in a match.

His contribution this season has been overwhelmingly positive.

I think others have hit the nail on the head though - if we could identify a striker with 'presence' who is also more clinical then you improve where you have shortfalls.

I don't, however, think it will be easy to improve on what Cassidy offers though, not without losing something in the process.

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:17 pm

Yarblockos wrote:Can't fault him for effort, but Cassidy has missed some crucial chances that have cost us this season. Some real sitters. It's all right saying he isn't in the team for goals, but he plays up front and will get chances. Sometimes you only get one chance in a match and if that chance falls to a striker then you want him to be able to put it away, not hope that it always falls to the other guy.
I think that’s a little simplistic to be honest.

AA himself said Cassidy was a big part of the reason someone like Charman for example, had great success this campaign. Last season Charman didn’t score a league goal, largely because the defences stifled us and bullied us as we had no physicality up front. They were able to sit deep and make it difficult for our smallish frontline to play through them.

This time out, with Cassidy occupying opposition defences more, it created more space and opportunities for Charman. That’s a bit of a crude analysis on my part (there will have been other factors going on) but broadly speaking it’s correct, backed up by the manager’s comments.

So yes, I don’t think anyone will dispute Cassidy isn’t a great finisher, but it’s indisputable his presence and workrate created opportunities for other forwards, mainly Charman, to thrive. That for me outweighs the negative of his own low conversion rate.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:35 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:17 pm
Yarblockos wrote:Can't fault him for effort, but Cassidy has missed some crucial chances that have cost us this season. Some real sitters. It's all right saying he isn't in the team for goals, but he plays up front and will get chances. Sometimes you only get one chance in a match and if that chance falls to a striker then you want him to be able to put it away, not hope that it always falls to the other guy.
I think that’s a little simplistic to be honest.

AA himself said Cassidy was a big part of the reason someone like Charman for example, had great success this campaign. Last season Charman didn’t score a league goal, largely because the defences stifled us and bullied us as we had no physicality up front. They were able to sit deep and make it difficult for our smallish frontline to play through them.

This time out, with Cassidy occupying opposition defences more, it created more space and opportunities for Charman. That’s a bit of a crude analysis on my part (there will have been other factors going on) but broadly speaking it’s correct, backed up by the manager’s comments.

So yes, I don’t think anyone will dispute Cassidy isn’t a great finisher, but it’s indisputable his presence and workrate created opportunities for other forwards, mainly Charman, to thrive. That for me outweighs the negative of his own low conversion rate.
Absolutely correct. I would be very disappointed if Cassidy was allowed to leave and I don’t think AA would do that, given he knows a thing or two about strikers.

DavidCurriesMullet

Post by DavidCurriesMullet » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:48 am

Said on the Hedley thread that i'd keep Cassidy and look for two more prolific, mobile lads to play off him. Certainly keep him over O'Neill, who I don't think has shown enough to suggest the same player is in there as was prior to his injury.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:26 pm

I'd love if someone could look at the stats to see what our win rate is when Cassidy is in the side compared to when he isn't. I think people are overestimating his importance, I could be wrong of course.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:49 pm

Yarblockos wrote:I'd love if someone could look at the stats to see what our win rate is when Cassidy is in the side compared to when he isn't. I think people are overestimating his importance, I could be wrong of course.
Why not do it yourself? The info is on the web site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:17 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:I'd love if someone could look at the stats to see what our win rate is when Cassidy is in the side compared to when he isn't. I think people are overestimating his importance, I could be wrong of course.

I’m also interested in why team win percentage is the measurement of Cassidy’s effectiveness. Other factors beyond Cassidy’s control will have an impact (e.g. errors in defence, particularly earlier in the season, will have led to us dropping points, yet you can hardly blame Cassidy for that).

Surely it should be team goals scored that is the metric, given that’s what Cassidy is in the team to do.

Anyway if Yarblockos has the stats to back himself up, I’m sure he will provide them.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:48 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:17 pm
Quaker85 wrote:

I’m also interested in why team win percentage is the measurement of Cassidy’s effectiveness. Other factors beyond Cassidy’s control will have an impact (e.g. errors in defence, particularly earlier in the season, will have led to us dropping points, yet you can hardly blame Cassidy for that).

Surely it should be team goals scored that is the metric, given that’s what Cassidy is in the team to do.

Anyway if Yarblockos has the stats to back himself up, I’m sure he will provide them.
By my calculations we have 10 wins in 33 when Cassidy plays and 4 wins in 8 when he doesn't. So 33% win rate with and 50% win rate without. Small numbers though, he's played most games but we've only lost once when he didn't play!

As for goals, I think it works out as 1.3 per game with Cassidy and 1.5 per game without.

Maybe another metric would support your case.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:07 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:48 pm
but we've only lost once when he didn't play!
Correlation does not equal causation.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:11 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:07 pm
Yarblockos wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:48 pm
but we've only lost once when he didn't play!
Correlation does not equal causation.
Indeed it does not. But there is no evidence we do better or score more when Cassidy plays.

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:24 pm

It’s actually 5 games that Cassidy hasn’t played (not sure why but you’re classing the three times Cassidy came on as a sub as not playing). Presumably you meant starts.

Either way, 36 plays 5 isn’t a fair comparison to make. You can’t make any sound comparisons or correlations when one of the data sets is more than seven times larger than the other.

Heaton out

Post by Heaton out » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:50 pm

Whoever we sign a new striker is desperately needed! Hazel could be an option but we are severely lacking up front

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:53 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:24 pm
It’s actually 5 games that Cassidy hasn’t played (not sure why but you’re classing the three times Cassidy came on as a sub as not playing). Presumably you meant starts.

Either way, 36 plays 5 isn’t a fair comparison to make. You can’t make any sound comparisons or correlations when one of the data sets is more than seven times larger than the other.
Makes his goal contribution even worse then!

Darlogramps

Signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:50 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:24 pm

Makes his goal contribution even worse then!
Only Lambert in the current squad has scored more Image. And we lost today without him.

Again though, no one denies he isn’t a goalscorer so that’s not telling us anything we don’t already know.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:12 pm

I would need to double check my stats, but I think Cassidy has one goal and one assist since we played Chester on November 13th. That was 27 games ago.