Farsley match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Farsley match thread

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 02, 2022 1:42 pm

Interesting team selection: Taylor; Griffiths, Wheater, Hedley; Moke, Rose, Lambert, Thompson, Mondal, Cassidy, O’Neill.

No other centre backs in the matchday squad - potentially we’re going three at the back and all out with five attackers?

Or someone like Cassidy as a makeshift centre back?
Last edited by Darlogramps on Mon May 02, 2022 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

darloed19

Re: Farsley match thread

Post by darloed19 » Mon May 02, 2022 1:48 pm

Taylor

Headley Cassidy wheater grith
Moke Rose
Lambert
Thompson O’Neil Mondal

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 02, 2022 3:02 pm

Cassidy takes the next step on the Liam Hatch MKII journey.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon May 02, 2022 4:32 pm

Spyman wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 3:02 pm
Cassidy takes the next step on the Liam Hatch MKII journey.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Blast from the past, recall him at gateshead, chairman said he was craziest player he had worked with
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 02, 2022 5:02 pm

That was very underwhelming, typical end of season game. A draw was a fair result and if we'd pinched it at the end, it would have been unfair on Farsley. Thought Cassidy played well as centre back.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon May 02, 2022 5:10 pm

Weird post, but I have no idea at all in reality whether this current core of players ( with a few additions) is good enough for a play off challenge next season or quite the opposite, they really are just not good enough at all!!!

Forget the first half of season but basically this squad has delivered 3 spells, roughly, 4 points out of 21, then 23/30 and now 3/18. They range from a joy to watch to absolutely shocking showing little desire.
Listened to a report on a team on radio on way back today and they said they won “ through sheer grit, effort and determination”. This is the bit that concerns me. We have some lovely, skilful, classy players for sure but not sure they fit into the above quote.

Like I said, really no idea if the core of players that we are all getting excited about re signing are good enough or not, I really hope they prove that they are . Would certainly be signing some more “physical, strong, gritty types” to go alongside them .

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon May 02, 2022 5:26 pm

That was almost entirely what I expected. I think we are reasonably set up for next season. Work to be done but we're in a better place than how we started the season. :thumbup: New shirt is nice too
Last edited by H1987 on Mon May 02, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon May 02, 2022 5:29 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:10 pm
Weird post, but I have no idea at all in reality whether this current core of players ( with a few additions) is good enough for a play off challenge next season or quite the opposite, they really are just not good enough at all!!!

Forget the first half of season but basically this squad has delivered 3 spells, roughly, 4 points out of 21, then 23/30 and now 3/18. They range from a joy to watch to absolutely shocking showing little desire.
Listened to a report on a team on radio on way back today and they said they won “ through sheer grit, effort and determination”. This is the bit that concerns me. We have some lovely, skilful, classy players for sure but not sure they fit into the above quote.

Like I said, really no idea if the core of players that we are all getting excited about re signing are good enough or not, I really hope they prove that they are . Would certainly be signing some more “physical, strong, gritty types” to go alongside them .
Have to agree with you. Just when you think we are building a squad that can be competitive next season we go on another underwhelming run. We have signed up some of our best players for next season, but there are many others that I am unsure whether we should be offering contracts to or not. My worry is that Armstrong is as baffled as the rest of us.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon May 02, 2022 5:30 pm

I know what you're getting at Quakerlad. The match today was a bit of a non event for the Darlo players, or they gave that impression. Lambert played well but who else did? Yes we played a bit of nice stuff, looked more at ease on the ball and put through some classy passes but that was about it. Too many players looked out of sorts (especially Taylor) and Farsley (who aren't very good) pushed us back too many times through their sheer willpower and effort.

To me, today was disappointing :thumbdown: The season has been allowed to fizzle out and it's a bad look.

You know it's not a good experience going to Blackwell Meadows as it is, half hearted football just makes it worse......
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon May 02, 2022 6:08 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:30 pm
I know what you're getting at Quakerlad. The match today was a bit of a non event for the Darlo players, or they gave that impression. Lambert played well but who else did? Yes we played a bit of nice stuff, looked more at ease on the ball and put through some classy passes but that was about it. Too many players looked out of sorts (especially Taylor) and Farsley (who aren't very good) pushed us back too many times through their sheer willpower and effort.

To me, today was disappointing :thumbdown: The season has been allowed to fizzle out and it's a bad look.

You know it's not a good experience going to Blackwell Meadows as it is, half hearted football just makes it worse......
I agree with most of your comments but have to disagree about Taylor.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Mon May 02, 2022 6:24 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:08 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:30 pm

I agree with most of your comments but have to disagree about Taylor.
I thought Kal Griffiths had a solid game and for me I’d keep him for next season

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon May 02, 2022 8:17 pm

For me the striker is the key position to sort out and we need a goal scoring midfielder. Potentially Lowe could be that goal scoring midfielder as the lad likes to shoot (which I love). I would keep O'Neill as well as there is no doubt he has ability.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon May 02, 2022 8:18 pm

I was disappointed today, I thought the players would have been up for it with it being the last game of the season, but I was wrong. Farsley players were encouraging each other, the only person on our team was Headley, (who for me is the clear player of the season). Thought Cassidy had a decent game, but having 2 midfielders we were over run in midfield time and time again, improved when Lowe came on, (hope we sign him),
Mondel started well and looked busy, but then drifted out of the game, O'Neil is not the player he was, other than the tap in goal he hardly touched the ball and was I was suprised he was not substituted earlier.
We seemed to have plenty of people with skill, but few leaders and team players so as has already been said, I thought we had a good base for next year, but given 3 points in 6 games after getting into the play off places I am now not sure. AA says the same thing each defeat so he is unable to change what the players do, so needs new players in to build a "team".
Even in the warm up very few of the shots being taken by all the players hit the goal so not surprising they miss during the game, and the number of times we have given goals away from dead ball situations is not good.

Very poor end of the season, thought the crowd was good today though.

Harder task for AA for next year than I thought it would be.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon May 02, 2022 8:43 pm

Good crowd but a poor game.

Need to start next season well and with a few additions ( and deletions ) Im sure we will.

Darlogramps

Farsley match thread

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 02, 2022 11:03 pm

The last few weeks have been really weird. As soon as we got into the play-offs, that’s when we fell away. That does make me wonder if there was a mentality issue, or indeed whether something happened in the squad.

It was all very strange. Right at the point where you thought they’d dig in and give everything, it’s like they’ve been on the beach - the Curzon match and today’s game being excellent examples.

Or maybe we just peaked too soon with our great run of form and are missing Hatfield a lot more than we first realised. Moke and Rose are good, but maybe we need some more dynamism from midfield, which Hatfield provided.

There’s undoubted ability there, but we do need a bit extra mentally I think to get us to the next level. The Wheater’s and the Moke’s of the squad will be crucial next season.

Overall, we are roughly we I thought we’d be. The building blocks are there now after a season of transition. Still work to do on getting some other key players signed up, plus adding a bit more quality with the new signings.

The first few weeks of next season will be crucial though, as fans will be less forgiving of a slow start next time out. Time to get the wallet out for the Boost the Budget.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 03, 2022 5:42 am

It is more frustrating that I believe had events not unfolded as they did at Alfreton we would be in a playoff position now.

Wins against Alfreton, Curzon, Bradford PA and Farsley would have been an extra 9 points and we'd be going into the Kidderminster game with it in our hands.

I think the Curzon result was a mentality thing after the disappointment at Alfreton. Had we scored those penalties we'd have gone into Curzon on a high and it wouldn't have been the same deflated game.

The last two had dead rubber written all over them from that point. I considered going to Bradford PA but decided against it the night before as it just felt a long way for a game which I imagined would be a non-event. I do think it is hard to really come to much of a conclusion on players based on the past two games, it's a bit of a cliche that they have contracts to play for but I am not convinced that these games will make that much of a difference in the scheme of things.
Last edited by lo36789 on Tue May 03, 2022 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue May 03, 2022 5:51 am

Think AA was trying out a few ideas, chiefly Cassidy as a CB. His arial dominance did help, although he was caught out out of position & not goal side several times - so not a natural CB but with a lot of coaching off Wheater worth keeping for next squad.
Team not clicking up front, despite plenty of skilled individuals, Lambert in particular tried to play a killer pass when a snap shot on goal was a better option. Rose similarly good with crossfield balls but lacking attacking ambition. Thompson & Mondal both pacey & worried Farley defenders, but lacked their shooting boots. Hedley & Griffiths had solid games & Taylor a slightly below par performance with no chance with their goal. Sub KDS had little time to influence things, but Lowe had some nice touches. Farley players put in a great shift to get a point with many of their players flaked out at the end of the game having gained a vital point for them. By contrast, we seemed to have been content not to lose & let our season fizzle out with a dismal display, failing to create anything to inspire the crowd. Highlight was deffo the 50/50 draw prize, over £1200.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue May 03, 2022 7:04 am

Very disappointing game , Lambert tried but needs someone to drive forward with him in the centre. Oneil was not working with him and never really got into the game, still not match fit thought we would change him sooner. Thomson again not quite up for it and couldn't find oneiil. Mondal started brightly but again faded, makes runs and points where the ball should go but if we do not release ball first time (which we often did hang onto it too long) he gives up and hands on hips. Second half he was ineffective not Taylors kicking and distribution has been poor since Curzon game and needs improving. Wheater fit or half fit needs a mobile CB alongside, Cassidy is not that man, blamed Hedley and Rose for their goal when it was his man and felt he had to charge forward to head balls leaving Wheater isolated, reduced his moaning second half. Moke good, Lowe came on and performed well, do not agree with AA about a couple of players short of a promotion challenging team

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue May 03, 2022 8:04 am

It's all been a bit lacklustre lately, and as others have pointed out on this thread, when it mattered, at the end of the season our form not only dipped but fell away. I had a little peak on the league form guide and for the last six matches we are bottom, there was nobody who got less points than us in their last 6 games.

I went to five of these, and I thought we didn't play badly in general. Over the years I've seen much worse Darlo teams huff and puff their stuff but the sparkle went out of the team as soon as we got into 7th place.

Darlogramps points this out here/quote... "As soon as we got into the play-offs, that’s when we fell away. That does make me wonder if there was a mentality issue, or indeed whether something happened in the squad."..... It makes me wonder too! Did Armstrong and his players really believe? As we've seen, no big end of season effort filtered through and yesterday it seemed to me that the team who wanted it more (Farsley) picked up more of their fair share of 50/50 balls,

We should have had the capacity to give it more than we did, and looking at the squad it's my belief that we need more than just a couple of additions - unless of course those additions are Hatfield and Charman coming back :(

And one final thought, if Lambert leaves that will be another downer.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Tue May 03, 2022 8:18 am

Disappointing thing is, if we had held for a draw against Gateshead and beaten both Bradford and Farsley we would still be in contention for playoffs…

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue May 03, 2022 9:01 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 8:04 am
It makes me wonder too! Did Armstrong and his players really believe? As we've seen, no big end of season effort filtered through and yesterday it seemed to me that the team who wanted it more (Farsley) picked up more of their fair share of 50/50 balls,.
Remember which game it was though. Alfreton where we missed two penalties. That was the game when it slipped away from then on it was out of our hands and we went into the Curzon game deflated.

Look at Plymouth at the weekend. They fell out of the playoffs on Tuesday night and it became no longer in their hands - look at their result on Saturday (beaten 5-0 at home).

Once we had drawn v Alfreton and lost again Curzon we then came close but narrowly missed out against the top 2 (there is no real shame in that). If we were just rolling over we wouldn't have had the results we did against Gateshead and Brackley.

Of course Farsley wanted it more - it meant more to them. Look at the league table they were the only side with anything actually riding on the game. I'd be shocked if they hadn't come across as wanting it more to be honest. It was 'lets do this to maybe finish 11th' v 'if we win we guarantee avoiding relegation'

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue May 03, 2022 9:41 am

Looking at the second half of the season in isolation, where someone above has split it into three distinct runs of form, lets not forget there was also a lot of upheaval in those few short months.

We lost our best forward.
We lost our captain/arguable best player from the last few seasons.
We brought in several new players, particularly in midfield.

We've not really had a settled side all season, from starting the season with virtually no defence through to the personnel changes later in the season. It's no surprise we've lacked consistency. It looks like Armstrong and the Board are attempting to create a settled squad from early on this time around which will hopefully be reflected in more consistent performances next season.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue May 03, 2022 10:02 am

Everything has been said about this season's ups and downs, I think it is a must for A A to get it right next season ,right player's with stronger mentality and a will to push on, question marks hang over quite a few of the squad AA hopefully has or will be able to pull together a better squad with additional players on his list.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue May 03, 2022 10:09 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:42 am
It is more frustrating that I believe had events not unfolded as they did at Alfreton we would be in a playoff position now.

Wins against Alfreton, Curzon, Bradford PA and Farsley would have been an extra 9 points and we'd be going into the Kidderminster game with it in our hands.

I think the Curzon result was a mentality thing after the disappointment at Alfreton. Had we scored those penalties we'd have gone into Curzon on a high and it wouldn't have been the same deflated game.

The last two had dead rubber written all over them from that point. I considered going to Bradford PA but decided against it the night before as it just felt a long way for a game which I imagined would be a non-event. I do think it is hard to really come to much of a conclusion on players based on the past two games, it's a bit of a cliche that they have contracts to play for but I am not convinced that these games will make that much of a difference in the scheme of things.
I think this is probably accurate.

That said, i'm surprised at how many people are viewing yesterday as unexpectedly poor. It's exactly what I expected, and very much just made the trip as an excuse to see some mates and have a beer. It was so obviously going to be a damp squib. The others, they are more problematic. I agree, Alfreton was probably the start of it, but the Curzon display was a massive yikes. I think there's a mixture of lack of belief along with some lack of ability in some quarters. That said, we gave ourselves a huge uphill task with a terrible, disjointed start to the season. If our start hadn't been so bad, we wouldn't have needed to go on a ridiculous run just to eek in the playoffs.

I'm at least partially confident we will enter next season in a much better place than we entered this one. Far from the finished article, but there is a core to the squad that was completely missing this year. Starting well is so important and I do think with the right additions we are capable of a push next year.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue May 03, 2022 12:28 pm

A disappointing if not entirely unexpected sounding game yesterday. Obviously with BTB launched it would have been good to get a win infront of a solid home crowd for what was a end of season dead rubber of a game. It sounded like it's gone the way our season has since the Alfreton game, a little lack of cutting edge at the top end of the pitch which would not only give us some goal threat but elevate some of the pressure at the defensive end of the pitch.

By my reckoning at the half way point of the season we had 27 points. 7 wins, 6 draw, 38 scored. 31 conceded for a +7 goal difference. Meaning in the second half of the season (less the final kidderminster game) we've gained. 26 points, 19 scored, 26 conceded -7 goal difference. Whilst securing Wheater and Lawlor seems to have tightened our defence (especially compared to the first few months of the season) losing Charman has really reduced our attacking output. Its one of the reasons Armstrong being after Hazel makes sense plenty of sense (other than his obvious goal record), in his late 20's he's a good age. In his prime in terms of footballing ability but probably a little too old for any clubs in higher leagues to want to take a punt on him and take him mid-season which has certainly hurt us this year with losing Charman.

Glad to see O'Neill get a goal yesterday and boost his chances of being around next season. Have seen a few say he wasn't involved much, but he was on hand where and when needed to put the ball in the net. I think that takes him to 4 goals since he joined in late January now compared to Cassidy's 5 for the season.

Seen plenty commenting based off the last few results that the team aren't good enough etc for a playoff push next season. But in reality only 5 are currently signed for next season, and I think the 5 that are signed up are all players who improve us compared to what we started with last season.

Have a free Saturday this weekend so will head to Kidderminster to see the season out and show appreciation for the players and management efforts this year.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Tue May 03, 2022 2:11 pm

Think we may well be playing Kidderminster reserves :shifty:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue May 03, 2022 3:37 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:01 am
Of course Farsley wanted it more - it meant more to them. Look at the league table they were the only side with anything actually riding on the game. I'd be shocked if they hadn't come across as wanting it more to be honest. It was 'lets do this to maybe finish 11th' v 'if we win we guarantee avoiding relegation'
Yes, I agree, but perhaps our players should have been thinking "let's do this for the fans because they've stuck by us all season and they pay good money to get in/let's do this to show we can win a game of football/we can play good stuff/it does matter"

I left yesterday a bit cheesed off, and I suspect I'm not the only one.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue May 03, 2022 9:59 pm

The highlights strongly suggest we need Lambert to stick about. All our creative play seems to revolve around him, and he has a little bit of trickery to open up chances for other players

I do wonder too whether rose and moke are quite similar, and whether maybe we could do with more drive from one of our midfielders.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed May 04, 2022 8:00 am

I think it may be that a big, imposing, aggressive, box-to-box midfielder might also be required, preferrably one who also chips in with some goals.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Wed May 04, 2022 9:04 am

Lowe could be that man :?: