Kidderminster V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Kidderminster V Darlington

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat May 07, 2022 11:04 am

Bit of a non event for Kidderminster as it won’t change their position in the league for the playoffs, so they may rest a few players in preparation for the games to come.
So we might have a chance 🙃

Darlopartisan

Re: Kidderminster V Darlington

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat May 07, 2022 1:44 pm

Strong team out for Darlo

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Sat May 07, 2022 4:48 pm

250 fans there today. Decent following considering the circumstances, Shite game, but onwards for next season!

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sat May 07, 2022 4:55 pm

I assume that’s your estimation because Kiddy announced it as 130.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat May 07, 2022 4:56 pm

Boston clinch the final playoff place.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat May 07, 2022 5:07 pm

Yeah, rubbish game, didn't deserve to win, Lowe was mom for me though and hit the bar with a very good free kick.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Sat May 07, 2022 5:58 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 4:55 pm
I assume that’s your estimation because Kiddy announced it as 130.
I thought I heard 250

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat May 07, 2022 6:58 pm

Poor from start to finish today. Kidderminster are a good side and bearly got out of second gear, but we didn't really test or put any pressure on them largely because Wheater, Lawlor and Lambert looked barely fit, and credit to Wheater for seeing out the game looked to be struggling fro. early in the first half. Hedley and Purver added much needed energy when they came on. Don't think there were any performances of real note on our part. Lowe nearly got us one out of the blue with a good free kick. But we didn't play with much urgency midfield were too deep and wasted possession. Wingers got nothing off their full backs especially Foulkes the RB who rightly got man of the match. No service for the likes of O'Neill and Thompson to play on.

There's some good building blocks for next season already signed would love to see Lambert signed up too. Won't judge players I've not seen before on one performance, but I think we desperately need to add a Pacey winger who can stretch games for us, a ball winning midfielder and and box to box midfielder.

----------------------- Taylor ----------------------
Xxxxx --- Wheater - Lawlor --- Hedley
--------- Xxxxx --- Xxxxx --- Xxxxx --------
Xxxxxx ----------- Hazel ---------- Xxxxxx

Would be happy to see Purver and Rose added to the squad. Not 100% on any of the others but I don't get to see them weekly.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun May 08, 2022 9:04 am

Watched AA s interview and if you were there I think you would know whos going out the door.

Think we need a leader on the pitch, even Wheater does not seem to do it, hes good for Lawlor but a bit more communication wouldnt go amiss imo.

Its good the club look more stable than recent season starts. AA still the man for me.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun May 08, 2022 9:52 am

Go on MCFC - who do you think those ones are.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun May 08, 2022 10:27 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 9:52 am
Haha, Im not risking that, dont want to upset if they look on here. :lol:

I will say I thought Lambert may be one of them as he didnt look right but think he was carrying an injury, he was struggling a few times second half. I would like him to stay if hes up for it as feel he could have a great career.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun May 08, 2022 10:41 am

I think quite a few are carrying injuries.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sun May 08, 2022 11:07 am

I would assume Lambert is staying given his tweet today saying he’s looking forward to next season. I think he’s more than good enough for us. Given his age I’d hope he’ll develop further and become a real asset

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun May 08, 2022 11:14 am

I think if we're picking out players who won't be here next year based on yesterday, I'd be very surprised now if O'Neill were to return. I get the feeling he's maybe in a bit of a slump after tumbling down the divisions, after being regarded as one to watch when he was a youth at Boro.

I hope he gets himself sorted as we all know what a good player he can be, but he almost seems like he needs a little reset and a successful season out of the limelight to get going again.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun May 08, 2022 12:04 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:27 am
Vodka_Vic wrote:

I will say I thought Lambert may be one of them as he didnt look right but think he was carrying an injury, he was struggling a few times second half. I would like him to stay if hes up for it as feel he could have a great career.
He looked to have a hip injury yesterday. Think he was carrying it from the start as he never really fancied a run at either full back. Was struggling to run or move much by the end.

As tdk1 says hopefully his tweet today means he's signed on the dotted line for next season and he can be a big player next season. 8 goals in c.30 games this season is a good return from a wide player hopefully a few more games and a more consistent team around him he could get 10+ next year which is the sort of returns we need from our wide players if we're going to make a good go of getting into the playoffs.

If I was going to stick my neck out on the released list I'd say:
- Beeden
- Taylor
- Storey
- Ellis
- Smith
- Cassidy
- Wheatley - would be a big shame to lose him as fully fitand in form he's plenty good enough for this league.
- Thompson (back to Barnsley)
- O’Neill (back to Scunthorpe)

Personally I'd invite O'Neill back for preseason depending in his Scunthorpe situation, think he's struggled getting back to full fitness and a full preseason would give us a better idea of where he's at.

That would give us:
GK: Taylor, Martin
LB: Hedley
RB: Griffiths
CB: Wheater, Lawlor
Wide players: Lambert, Rivers, Dos Santos
CM: Rose, Lowe, Purver, Moke
Forwards: Hazel

(Above presumes we go for and sort deals for Lowe & Rose).

After that we need:
- CB - 46 league games to play next season + cups so need a 3rd CB who is ready to rotate with Wheater + Lawlor.
- LB cover - Hedley looks to have made the position his own so cover for him as he can cover RB, could be Hope who I'd have another look at preseason
- CM - ball winning midfielder - would love a 6ft+ bully of a CM for the games where you have to tough it out against a Billy Heath or Paul Cox side.
- RM/RW - need someone with real pace to give us an outlet
- CF - Target man CF - love Cassidy's work ethic but he just doesn't convert enough chances for me.
- Wide forward - again someone with a bit of pace would be handy. Not sure what Bristol's plans are with Saunders but he would fit the brief of what we need.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun May 08, 2022 12:48 pm

For me Cassidy should be offered a contract for next season and I think he will be. Honestly, I would not be surprised if Rivers goes and quite likely ends up back at Blyth. Also listening to Armstrong’s post match interview I would expect Purver will be here next season.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun May 08, 2022 5:54 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:04 pm
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:

He looked to have a hip injury yesterday. Think he was carrying it from the start as he never really fancied a run at either full back. Was struggling to run or move much by the end.

As tdk1 says hopefully his tweet today means he's signed on the dotted line for next season and he can be a big player next season. 8 goals in c.30 games this season is a good return from a wide player hopefully a few more games and a more consistent team around him he could get 10+ next year which is the sort of returns we need from our wide players if we're going to make a good go of getting into the playoffs.

- Beeden
- Taylor
- Storey
- Ellis
- Smith
- Cassidy
- Wheatley - would be a big shame to lose him as fully fitand in form he's plenty good enough for this league.

Personally I'd invite O'Neill back for preseason depending in his Scunthorpe situation, think he's struggled getting back to full fitness and a full preseason would give us a better idea of where he's at.

That would give us:

After that we need:
- CB - 46 league games to play next season + cups so need a 3rd CB who is ready to rotate with Wheater + Lawlor.
- LB cover - Hedley looks to have made the position his own so cover for him as he can cover RB, could be Hope who I'd have another look at preseason
- CM - ball winning midfielder - would love a 6ft+ bully of a CM for the games where you have to tough it out against a Billy Heath or Paul Cox side.
- CF - Target man CF - love Cassidy's work ethic but he just doesn't convert enough chances for me.
- Wide forward - again someone with a bit of pace would be handy. Not sure what Bristol's plans are with Saunders but he would fit the brief of what we need.
If you would like to see your wide players contribute 10 ish goals. Why would you want Saunders. I don't think he has scored 10 goals in total in the last 5 years of his career.
just saying..

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun May 08, 2022 6:06 pm

don't think that list will be too far off. Smith, Cassidy and Rivers being the most debatable I think.

I like Smith, but for a non left back to start the majority of games in the second half of the season suggests a lot.

Cassidy only goes if we can get someone better in of the same physicality. AA suggests that we are looking for at least another striker so that suggests that one of Cassidy or O'Neill won't be here

Rivers works with the academy so whilst this doesn't give him a free pass, I'd find it slightly strange if he was to be released whilst still working for the academy. Been disappointing at times this season.

Wonder whether Mark Beck will be kept on at Harrogate. He's been up and down there this season. He is obviously an upgrade on Cassidy. Would love to see AA go after Kaine Felix too.

Thinking about who else we could go for, I thought JJ O'Donnell might be another, however that'd have to mean 1 of the 4 CM's would be surplus to requirements.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun May 08, 2022 7:42 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 6:06 pm

Wonder whether Mark Beck will be kept on at Harrogate. He's been up and down there this season. He is obviously an upgrade on Cassidy. Would love to see AA go after Kaine Felix

Not so sure that Beck is much of an upgrade on Cassidy. The only time that I have seen him recently, was at Blackwell Meadows for York this season, and quite honestly I thought he was poor. He seemed to spend most of the time appealing for free kicks and didn’t offer much of a threat even though we were down to 10 men with Jake Cooper sent off.
Of course he may have had an off day, but 3 goals in 18 games for York is hardly compelling evidence, that he would be prolific if we signed him.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon May 09, 2022 7:48 am

JE93 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:04 pm
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:

- Beeden
- Taylor
- Storey
- Ellis
- Smith
- Cassidy

That would give us:

After that we need:
This list looks spot on. We need a few more in to really push on next season - I don't think we are far away and a couple of quality players could push us into 7th spot next season.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Mon May 09, 2022 9:20 am

Don’t think we need to make any improvements in terms of defence. I’d keep everyone we current have including Storey good 4th choice and young. One issue I do have with defence because it’s old we play too deep and with our current midfield crop we pretty much have a midfield full of CDMS. What we need is two box to box fielders (like Hatfield) to really give us that attack threat.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue May 10, 2022 7:48 am

darloed19 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:20 am
Don’t think we need to make any improvements in terms of defence. I’d keep everyone we current have including Storey good 4th choice and young. One issue I do have with defence because it’s old we play too deep and with our current midfield crop we pretty much have a midfield full of CDMS. What we need is two box to box fielders (like Hatfield) to really give us that attack threat.
let in 58 league goals definitely need improvements in defence not saying we do a Brackley(who let in less than a goal every 2 games ) but even Lawlor was lost without a fit Wheater. I would also like to see a good keeper challenging TT, his shot stopping was great but his distribution poor , too slow and often hit the ball into touch or found the other keeper who sent it straight back against us.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue May 10, 2022 8:07 am

I’d love to see us go in for JJ O’Donnell or Kaine Felix.

No doubt we will be in for Jimmy Spencer once again.

I see Scunthorpe have announced the retained list and they are keeping O’Neill for next season.
If we can’t keep him or Cassidy, I’d like to see us go in for Paul Blackett from Gateshead.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue May 10, 2022 8:14 am

eddie-rowles wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:48 am
darloed19 wrote:
let in 58 league goals definitely need improvements in defence not saying we do a Brackley(who let in less than a goal every 2 games ) but even Lawlor was lost without a fit Wheater. I would also like to see a good keeper challenging TT, his shot stopping was great but his distribution poor , too slow and often hit the ball into touch or found the other keeper who sent it straight back against us.
Although I agree with your points re Taylor (distribution) I just can’t see another capable goalie being paid to sit on the bench 95% of the time, this is a luxury we (like many other clubs) can’t afford. It’s a shame in a way as in every other position there are others competing for your place.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue May 10, 2022 8:22 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 8:14 am
eddie-rowles wrote:
darloed19 wrote:
Although I agree with your points re Taylor (distribution) I just can’t see another capable goalie being paid to sit on the bench 95% of the time, this is a luxury we (like many other clubs) can’t afford. It’s a shame in a way as in every other position there are others competing for your place.
In addition, even if a club could afford a 2nd capable goalkeeper to be on the bench most of the time, would a capable goalkeeper want to be in a situation where they have little prospect of starting?

i struggle to immediately think of clubs at any level that have 2 good goalkeepers for any length of time without loaning one out

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue May 10, 2022 8:29 am

AndyPark wrote:I’d love to see us go in for JJ O’Donnell or Kaine Felix.

No doubt we will be in for Jimmy Spencer once again.

I see Scunthorpe have announced the retained list and they are keeping O’Neill for next season.
If we can’t keep him or Cassidy, I’d like to see us go in for Paul Blackett from Gateshead.
Think Ty was on a 2 year contract so they had no option but to name him as retained. Would guess they’ll look to offload him unless they think he can do a job in the conference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Tue May 10, 2022 9:27 am

eddie-rowles wrote:
darloed19 wrote:
Since signing Wheater and having three competent CBs we have only conceded 14 goals. Which is from the 26th of February, which averages out to exactly a goal a game. The only teams to have done better is Fylde, Kidderminster and Brackley (over a season). So if we can have a defensive which by stats suggest, only leaking a goal a game by current standings we will finish playoffs. I think our resources need to be used solely on attacking players.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Tue May 10, 2022 1:09 pm

Anyone know what's going on with McHale? Disappeared from match day squads recently.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue May 10, 2022 1:38 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:Anyone know what's going on with McHale? Disappeared from match day squads recently.
Full of talent, but I guess it’s his fitness that might let him down. AA did mention this a few weeks ago.

Would liked to have seen more of him but would guess AA will make his mind up based on training sessions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk