Darlo’s worst XI

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Spyman
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo’s worst XI

Post by Spyman » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:43 am

Surprised Craig Russell hasn't had a mention either - not that I'd put him in a worst XI, but he was an unpopular player.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:45 pm

Spratts corner wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:29 am
Kirk Jackson... enough said !!!

I'd forgotten about Kirk. 21 games and one goal.

This would be one more goal than I would have scored if I'd played 21 games for Darlo - or perhaps not :x

There was another struggling striker from around this time too, I can't remember his name but I think he might have been involved with G.R's daughter at some point. Williamson perhaps?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:45 pm

DBL post.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:03 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Spratts corner wrote:

This would be one more goal than I would have scored if I'd played 21 games for Darlo - or perhaps not :x

There was another struggling striker from around this time too, I can't remember his name but I think he might have been involved with G.R's daughter at some point. Williamson perhaps?
Adam Marsh? I think he was signed from Worksop along with Jackson.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:10 pm

Having just looked up Kirk Jackson, I discovered that he had a very successful strike partnership at Yeovil after he left us with none other than Kevin Gall!

34 goals between them in Yeovil's conference-winning season!

DC

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:45 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:45 pm
Spratts corner wrote:

I remember some rumours about Martin Carruthers and Reynolds' wife around that time but can't recall the details.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:08 pm

Spyman wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:03 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Spratts corner wrote:

No, I don’t think it’s him I’m thinking of, i think he had the nickname of “Willow” or something and I remember seeing him play for us away at Chesterfield once.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Santino

Post by Santino » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:22 am

Plenty of contenders from the Staunton era but Keith Gillespie's brief cameo is still burned into my mind.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:18 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Spyman wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Spratts corner wrote:

No, I don’t think it’s him I’m thinking of, i think he had the nickname of “Willow” or something and I remember seeing him play for us away at Chesterfield once.
Maybe Gary Williamson then? Came through our youth team I think, wasn't great but don't think he was terrible either. I think he was part of the same crop as Paul Campbell and Mark Kilty who both did relatively well until injury curtailed Kilty's career.

DC

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:22 am

Santino wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:22 am
Plenty of contenders from the Staunton era but Keith Gillespie's brief cameo is still burned into my mind.
Noel Whelan is probably who you are thinking of from that infamous season. Keith Gillespie had a months stint in Mark Cooper's first season I think, though didn't pull up any trees either.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:03 am

Spyman - Garry Williamson, that's him. He changed his name for some reason then played on. He was okay really, possibly a bit young and raw for what was expected or hoped of him via G.R's "new and improved Darlo" G.R's words not mine. Thrown in at the deep end. if you like.

FROM WIKI.

"Barnes was born in Darlington and joined his home-town club in 1997. Then known as Garry Williamson, he turned professional in 2000[2] and made his Football League debut for Darlington on 12 August 2000 as a second-half substitute in a 1–1 draw away at Rochdale. He made five more appearances in League Two, and four in cup competitions,[1] and spent some time on loan at Northern Premier League club Spennymoor United.[3]"

"At the end of the 2000–01 season, Williamson turned down Darlington's offer of a contract extension, preferring to move to the United States to take up a scholarship at Yavapai College, Arizona,[2] where he led the 2001 offensive rankings for Division 1 of the National Junior College Athletic Association.[4]"

"He returned to England and, by then using the surname Barnes,[5] signed for Shildon of the Northern League, for whom he scored 53 goals in 52 appearances in the 2003–04 season, a performance which earned him the award of Northern League Player of the Year, and his 34 league goals made him the season's top scorer.[6] In the same season, Shildon reached the First Round Proper of the FA Cup,[5] only to be beaten by Notts County of Division Two – five levels above Shildon – 7–2; Barnes, who had scored eight goals during the qualifying rounds, added a 63rd-minute penalty.[7][8]"
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:44 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:03 am
Spyman - Garry Williamson, that's him. He changed his name for some reason then played on. He was okay really, possibly a bit young and raw for what was expected or hoped of him via G.R's "new and improved Darlo" G.R's words not mine. Thrown in at the deep end. if you like.

FROM WIKI.

"Barnes was born in Darlington and joined his home-town club in 1997. Then known as Garry Williamson, he turned professional in 2000[2] and made his Football League debut for Darlington on 12 August 2000 as a second-half substitute in a 1–1 draw away at Rochdale. He made five more appearances in League Two, and four in cup competitions,[1] and spent some time on loan at Northern Premier League club Spennymoor United.[3]"

"At the end of the 2000–01 season, Williamson turned down Darlington's offer of a contract extension, preferring to move to the United States to take up a scholarship at Yavapai College, Arizona,[2] where he led the 2001 offensive rankings for Division 1 of the National Junior College Athletic Association.[4]"

"He returned to England and, by then using the surname Barnes,[5] signed for Shildon of the Northern League, for whom he scored 53 goals in 52 appearances in the 2003–04 season, a performance which earned him the award of Northern League Player of the Year, and his 34 league goals made him the season's top scorer.[6] In the same season, Shildon reached the First Round Proper of the FA Cup,[5] only to be beaten by Notts County of Division Two – five levels above Shildon – 7–2; Barnes, who had scored eight goals during the qualifying rounds, added a 63rd-minute penalty.[7][8]"
Theres quite a bit on barnes in ray gowans book. He literally just rocked up at shildon and asked for a trial, was a top player in one of the best shildon squads ever and suprised he never played hightwe after scoring all them goals, maybe he had a good day job. Was never explained why he changed his name, normally a thing actors and pop stars do
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:45 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:22 am
Santino wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:22 am
Noel Whelan is probably who you are thinking of from that infamous season. Keith Gillespie had a months stint in Mark Cooper's first season I think, though didn't pull up any trees either.
Never realised keith gillespie played for darlo, presume you mean the ex newcastle and man u guy
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:50 am

Yeah, he played for us in our first conference season. Wasn't bad by any stretch, but I think I was hoping he'd be a bit more productive than he was.

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:38 pm

I think to make this thread more about genuinely bad players, it should be a case of only counting those who made, say 10 appearances or more for the club rather than those who might have played 20 minutes off the bench in the Lux Familiar Cup in the late 80s.

Mind, if that was the case Noel Whelan would have to be the Manager.

Spending a lot of time trawling through Old Quaker TV on Youtube at the moment and have got to the end of post-Platt Hodgy season - must admit i genuinely had no idea that Gary Twynham actually did anything other than come off the bench, let alone scored a few goals. He would have been in my list, but it's funny what the years do to your memory.

Using my above criteria, Flapper Newell was one of the worst keepers i saw that earned a contract but then he was partial to a few saves too.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

feethams

Post by feethams » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:47 pm

Mullet69 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:38 pm
Using my above criteria, Flapper Newell was one of the worst keepers i saw that earned a contract but then he was partial to a few saves too.
I always thought Newell was pretty decent considering he was in goal for our first Wembley trip!

feethams

Post by feethams » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:48 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:17 am
divas wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:58 am
Werling didn’t even play did he?
Was meant to be signing for us when Simon Davey joined us briefly...until he promptly resigned by email at the end of season 09/10 whilst on holiday.
Then re-appeared magically with Davey at Hereford the next season!!

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:43 pm

tdk1 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:50 am
Yeah, he played for us in our first conference season. Wasn't bad by any stretch, but I think I was hoping he'd be a bit more productive than he was.
Always thought he was one of those players who peaked too young

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:43 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:08 pm
Spyman wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Spratts corner wrote:

Adam Marsh, Spyman is correct about him and Jackson. Both signed at the same time, Marsh had even less impact than Jackson.

And yep, Williamson too.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:23 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:43 pm
tdk1 wrote:
There was a documentary about him and how good he was, it may be over simplifying it but it can across that his battle with gambling addiction created a conflict with fulfilling his potential...I mean he was betting against his own team at some points and said he couldn't concentrate as a result.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:41 am

shildonlad wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:43 pm
tdk1 wrote:
He featured quite prominently in one of the episodes of the BBC documentary about the early days of the Premier League that was shown last year - essentially he was part of that group with the Neville's, Giggs, Beckham etc and they all socialized together - he had come over from Ireland at a young age and so they were his support network.

Then all of a sudden he was told he was off to Newcastle as part of the Andy Cole transfer - he was very young, moved to a new city where he knew nobody and all he knew to do after training was go to the bookies, so his gambling spiraled massively out of control, and his career went with it. Quite a sad story really.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:01 am

I think that's what I watched to the point I thought it was actually a documentary about him!

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:08 am

There's no contest for the striking role, Mor Diop, he looked like he'd never heard of football before, never mind played it. Special mention for Drewe Broughton, although to be fair, he wasn't exactly in his prime. In fact he'd retired some time earlier and only came to us because the Conference wouldn't let us sign anyone "good".
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:20 pm

I think Drewe played for free. If so we need to give him the benefit of the doubt - also he was playing in a poor team, which doesn't make things any easier.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:53 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:20 pm
I think Drewe played for free. If so we need to give him the benefit of the doubt - also he was playing in a poor team, which doesn't make things any easier.
Can't remember the specifics but weren't we beyond the player registration deadline so all our signings needed special dispensation.

Broughton will have been allowed if playing for free as wouldn't have incurred any additional financial liability.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:15 pm

I really don't think you can hold anything against Broughton. He came in at the worst point in the club's history and gave it a go. He scored a goal, a right scuffer, against Telford, and was surrounded by teenagers who were completely unprepared for the circumstances they found themselves in.

Diop was also not much cop but he scored a couple, including the winner at Shrewsbury in a season when we didn't score many winners full stop. Not in the same league of badness as Whelan or the one we signed from Scotland who played twice, was crap, and stropped off.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:36 pm

tdk1 wrote:I really don't think you can hold anything against Broughton. He came in at the worst point in the club's history and gave it a go. He scored a goal, a right scuffer, against Telford, and was surrounded by teenagers who were completely unprepared for the circumstances they found themselves in.

Diop was also not much cop but he scored a couple, including the winner at Shrewsbury in a season when we didn't score many winners full stop. Not in the same league of badness as Whelan or the one we signed from Scotland who played twice, was crap, and stropped off.
Paddy Deane?

DC

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:59 am

By no means the worst we have ever had, but by far the biggest disappointment in my eyes was Nick Pickering.
An England international with tons of top level experience I was expecting a lot more than the very average player we witnessed.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:05 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:53 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Can't remember the specifics but weren't we beyond the player registration deadline so all our signings needed special dispensation.

Broughton will have been allowed if playing for free as wouldn't have incurred any additional financial liability.
Yes, special dispensation was needed but I believe we requested it to sign Adam Boyd on loan and it was turned down because he was too good in their opinion. They didn't want to chance us having an upturn in results and avoid relegation at the expense of another club if it came about because they let us sign good players when we should not have been allowed to sign anyone.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:33 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:05 am
lo36789 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:53 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Yes, special dispensation was needed but I believe we requested it to sign Adam Boyd on loan and it was turned down because he was too good in their opinion. They didn't want to chance us having an upturn in results and avoid relegation at the expense of another club if it came about because they let us sign good players when we should not have been allowed to sign anyone.
Surely it was more about whether they were contracted senior professionals versus a judgement of whether they are too good.

If Boyd had been uncontracted at the close of the transfer window, and willing to play for free we would have been 'allowed' to sign Boyd.

I mean the outcome is the same. The talent pool of players good enough for professional football who aren't contracted and are willing to play for free would be pretty slim pickings.