mark beck

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

johninskopje
Team Supported: Darlington

mark beck

Post by johninskopje » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:17 pm

Coming back?

Darlogramps

Re: mark beck

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:31 pm

He’s training with us, and according to the Echo, he’d be willing to accept a deal: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... g-quakers/

Get the impression if another club came in with a full time offer that would complicate things but he’s clearly someone we want.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:54 pm

Think with beck in the squad it gives a different dimension to play which is a bonus. He knows the club and seems happy to offer his services to alun.
I would be happy to see him in our squad.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:55 pm

Would certainly give us another option up front. Good in the air we know that, not sure how mobile he is these days but has to be of some interest if available. He is originally from Sunderland so I would not be surprised to see interest from South Shields.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:56 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:31 pm
He’s training with us, and according to the Echo, he’d be willing to accept a deal: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... g-quakers/

Get the impression if another club came in with a full time offer that would complicate things but he’s clearly someone we want.
Get that deal offered please Alun! Not going to score 25 goals, but he will be an improvement on Cassidy, who's presence improved our general play last season.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:41 pm

Great target man to have up front, although not quite as quick now, can certainly hold the ball up & gives opponent defences trouble from set pieces. With him and Wheater in the box, they should be having nightmares every time a decent cross comes in. At least AA gets to have a look at him in the flesh which will help his final decision about any contract offered.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:13 pm

jjljks wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:41 pm
Great target man to have up front, although not quite as quick now, can certainly hold the ball up & gives opponent defences trouble from set pieces.
Not sure I buy into the not as quick now. He's only 28 - what I saw of him last season he didn't look notably any slower than when he was with us - in fact if anything he looked fitter.

Notice Luke James has left Barrow wonder where he is off to.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:20 pm

jjljks wrote:
Great target man to have up front, although not quite as quick now, can certainly hold the ball up & gives opponent defences trouble from set pieces. With him and Wheater in the box, they should be having nightmares every time a decent cross comes in. At least AA gets to have a look at him in the flesh which will help his final decision about any contract offered.
What’s with the “not quite as quick “ and Old Git’s “don’t know how mobile he is” tripe.?
He’s 28 FFS,hardly ready for a Zimmer frame.Get the deal done Alun .

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:34 pm

Get Beck in and another quality centre half before the season starts and I really will get excited.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:45 pm

Will Beck and Hazel be as good as Ainge and Styche?

* Joke ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:54 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:20 pm
jjljks wrote:
What’s with the “not quite as quick “ and Old Git’s “don’t know how mobile he is” tripe.?
In my case based on his performance for York at BM last season. That is only one game so happy to be proven wrong, but he looked rather slow I thought. Maybe he was not fully fit, but his record of 3 goals in 18 games for York last season is a bit off putting.
There is always the chance that with such a tall striker that players will overdo the long ball game. He does give us options but not sure he really fits in with Armstrong’s style of football.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:58 pm

Old Git wrote:
Emdubya wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:20 pm
jjljks wrote:
In my case based on his performance for York at BM last season. That is only one game so happy to be proven wrong, but he looked rather slow I thought. Maybe he was not fully fit, but his record of 3 goals in 18 games for York last season is a bit off putting.
There is always the chance that with such a tall striker that players will overdo the long ball game. He does give us options but not sure he really fits in with Armstrong’s style of football.
Stop being so negative for gods sake.I despair at times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:30 pm

Sounds like he wants to sign but we haven’t made an offer yet. What are we waiting for? A 6”6 CF proven at this level and above, they don’t grow on trees.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:10 pm

Just sign him up now, we know the player , he knows the club, would be fantastic to get this over the line :thumbup:

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:28 pm

Got to echo the sentiments of most. Proven at this level and above with the added bonus of offering a different dimension. Amazed that anyone would even hesitate if the possibility is there.

Beck, Hazel and Maddison with the addition of Lambert you'd like to think would be some prospect and address the fire power issue we suffered from at times, particularly towards the end, of last season.

Bring him home!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:32 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:30 pm
Sounds like he wants to sign but we haven’t made an offer yet. What are we waiting for?
Why do you think we have not made an offer?

Of course we will have made an offer, but it's all about both parties being able to agree terms isn't it.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:42 pm

Think I may be the odd one out from our fans, but I preferred Cassidy to. Beck, neither are goal scorers but Cassidy was more mobile and supportive across the pitch, especially when our defence was under pressure, never saw that in Beck, plus think we will quickly revert to lumping the ball forward if Beck is there.

Just my opinion of course.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:56 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:32 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:
Sounds like he wants to sign but we haven’t made an offer yet. What are we waiting for?

Of course we will have made an offer, but it's all about both parties being able to agree terms isn't it.
I don’t know that we haven’t but the article seems to suggest so when it says that he would drop to the NLN if we made him an offer.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:58 pm

50 years wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:42 pm
Think I may be the odd one out from our fans, but I preferred Cassidy to. Beck, neither are goal scorers but Cassidy was more mobile and supportive across the pitch, especially when our defence was under pressure, never saw that in Beck, plus think we will quickly revert to lumping the ball forward if Beck is there.

Beck has a goalscoring record of 1 in 3 for Darlo, Cassidy is 1 in 7. I know who I'd prefer.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:45 pm

50 years wrote:Think I may be the odd one out from our fans, but I preferred Cassidy to. Beck, neither are goal scorers but Cassidy was more mobile and supportive across the pitch, especially when our defence was under pressure, never saw that in Beck, plus think we will quickly revert to lumping the ball forward if Beck is there.

Beck got 19 goals in a single season for us. Not really sure how anyone could say he isn’t a goalscorer. Even at Harrogate his record is about 1 goal in 4 appearances.

Agree that Cassidy was never signed up as a goalscorer. His job was to be more of a physical presence and act as a foil for Charman by occupying defenders. Again, in my opinion he did that well but struggled when Charman left. O’Neill didn’t perform as well and the wide players didn’t pick up Cassidy’s flick ons in the same way.

So I don’t think you’re right to directly compare Beck and Cassidy. They’re very different players.

Also, if you’re trying to argue we didn’t just lump the ball up to Cassidy, well again that would be incorrect. Many the time last season, particularly in those bizarre last few games after the draw at Alfreton, we would just pump it long to him. AA complained about that very thing.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:22 am

50 years wrote:

Totally agree.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:38 am

50 years wrote:

I'd think that you will be the odd one out.

Although I said that I preferred O'Neill to Beck which made me almost an odd one out as well, I'm pretty sure that Beck is a decent upgrade on Cassidy.

I'd take Beck signing as a decent upgrade to the side.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:42 am

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:56 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:32 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:

I don’t know that we haven’t but the article seems to suggest so when it says that he would drop to the NLN if we made him an offer.
IMO we aren't going to be stringing him along and "seeing how he does" before making an offer, because he is a proven player at this level.

It'll depend on whether he is prepared to sign for us for what we are prepared and able to pay.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:47 am

Old Git wrote:
50 years wrote:

Totally agree.
Old Git wrote:
50 years wrote:

Totally agree.
Totally disagree 100%.Mark Beck is far better than Cassidy who appears to have found his level in the league below.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:58 am

It’s all about opinions. This forum would be pointless if we all agreed about everything.

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:15 am

I’d be happy if we signed Beck, but I can’t say I’d be disappointed if we didn’t sign him.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:09 am

Interesting update to the Echo piece on Beck (/ I missed it the first time around) (https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... g-quakers/) - "But there is likely to be an exit before the season starts with winger Kevin Dos Santos understood to be on the verge of leaving Quakers."

darloed19

Post by darloed19 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:37 am

al_quaker wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:09 am
Interesting update to the Echo piece on Beck (/ I missed it the first time around) (https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... g-quakers/) - "But there is likely to be an exit before the season starts with winger Kevin Dos Santos understood to be on the verge of leaving Quakers."
I missed that from the article too. Hope he doesn’t leave love KDS.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:24 am

darloed19 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:37 am
al_quaker wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:09 am
I missed that from the article too. Hope he doesn’t leave love KDS.
Hope so too. Bit of a surprise to me if he does leave, unless it is due to personal reasons. Surely good enough to stay and hopefully continue his development with us. He has potential, but I would not have thought he has done enough to attract the interest of a club higher up the pyramid. He is a player I could see moving into the professional game at some stage, and maybe someone else has recognised this and is willing to take a punt on him.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:45 am

Personal reasons seem to be the main rumour for anything KDS.