Darlo’s worst XI

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

wellingaway
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo’s worst XI

Post by wellingaway » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:28 pm

How Stevie Tupling hasn’t got a mention here is beyond me. Great heart but he used to regularly fall over the ball…

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:42 pm

wellingaway wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:28 pm
How Stevie Tupling hasn’t got a mention here is beyond me. Great heart but he used to regularly fall over the ball…
Oh yes he did seem a bit hapless and prone to making mistakes. However, I seem to recall he came back to Feethams with Newport and was on the winning side.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:01 am

I can’t believe there’s a ‘worst Darlo player’ thread and Steve McMahon hasn’t been mentioned (apologies if I missed it).
Easily the worst at the respective level I’ve seen play for Darlo, came from the Chinese league, very tall striker, who couldn’t hit a barn door.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:51 pm

A few from the 90’s/00’s spring to mind:

James Speare - loan keeper who couldn’t catch a cold in a doctors waiting room. Hodgy threw him in against Hartlepool in the 96/97 home derby

Steve MacMahon - a hugely tall striker who couldn’t head the ball. Did score one against Orient in 95/96 but I remember it as a tap in from 2 yards

Bertie Bossu - Hodgy had an eye for a keeper. But was channeling Stevie Wonder when he signed this clown

Lee Brydon - Defender who always took the man instead of the ball. Total liability

Others have mentioned Lee Nogan. I don’t think he was that bad but he paled in comparison to Gabbiadini. I seem to remember he had a half decent season in 2000/01 after Gabbers and Duffield had gone

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:54 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:44 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:03 am
Spyman - Garry Williamson, that's him. He changed his name for some reason then played on. He was okay really, possibly a bit young and raw for what was expected or hoped of him via G.R's "new and improved Darlo" G.R's words not mine. Thrown in at the deep end. if you like.

FROM WIKI.

"Barnes was born in Darlington and joined his home-town club in 1997. Then known as Garry Williamson, he turned professional in 2000[2] and made his Football League debut for Darlington on 12 August 2000 as a second-half substitute in a 1–1 draw away at Rochdale. He made five more appearances in League Two, and four in cup competitions,[1] and spent some time on loan at Northern Premier League club Spennymoor United.[3]"

"At the end of the 2000–01 season, Williamson turned down Darlington's offer of a contract extension, preferring to move to the United States to take up a scholarship at Yavapai College, Arizona,[2] where he led the 2001 offensive rankings for Division 1 of the National Junior College Athletic Association.[4]"

"He returned to England and, by then using the surname Barnes,[5] signed for Shildon of the Northern League, for whom he scored 53 goals in 52 appearances in the 2003–04 season, a performance which earned him the award of Northern League Player of the Year, and his 34 league goals made him the season's top scorer.[6] In the same season, Shildon reached the First Round Proper of the FA Cup,[5] only to be beaten by Notts County of Division Two – five levels above Shildon – 7–2; Barnes, who had scored eight goals during the qualifying rounds, added a 63rd-minute penalty.[7][8]"
Theres quite a bit on barnes in ray gowans book. He literally just rocked up at shildon and asked for a trial, was a top player in one of the best shildon squads ever and suprised he never played hightwe after scoring all them goals, maybe he had a good day job. Was never explained why he changed his name, normally a thing actors and pop stars do
[/quote

Maybe changed his surname to avoid G.R. catching up with him

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:55 pm

feethams wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:47 pm
Mullet69 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:38 pm
Using my above criteria, Flapper Newell was one of the worst keepers i saw that earned a contract but then he was partial to a few saves too.
I always thought Newell was pretty decent considering he was in goal for our first Wembley trip!
Bloody hell - old Flapper Newall. Terrible on crosses but did make a few good saves. Never forget his penalty save in that 4-0 demolition of Bury in 95/96 at a crucial time