Darlington V Middelsbrough

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:42 pm

Should be a good work out for the lads, is Mr Liddell still in charge of them ? Out of touch with what goes on in the higher echelons of football ;)

Darlo_Pete

Re: Darlington V Middelsbrough

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:12 pm

Why is this game being played at 1pm instead of 3pm? I'd have gone if kickoff had been the usual 3pm, but can't make the earlier kickoff. Hopefully our team will continue with the excellent early season form, we have already shown.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:43 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:12 pm
Why is this game being played at 1pm instead of 3pm? I'd have gone if kickoff had been the usual 3pm, but can't make the earlier kickoff. Hopefully our team will continue with the excellent early season form, we have already shown.
Really sorry about this Pete,I’m sure after this the club will make sure they fall in with your plans before arranging anything in the future

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:49 am

Emdubya wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:43 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:12 pm
Really sorry about this Pete,I’m sure after this the club will make sure they fall in with your plans before arranging anything in the future
Agree this is shocking behaviour for a so called Fan owned Club.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:27 pm

Not sure how strong that Middlesbrough team was but they played us off the park. On the other hand, the football was much better than the pies!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:37 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:Not sure how strong that Middlesbrough team was but they played us off the park. On the other hand, the football was much better than the pies!
Read a few reports that the food on offer was really poor quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:04 pm

I sampled the pie and peas today and I won’t be repeating the exercise any time soon. Peas ok but pie was mostly a solid lump of crust with a rather grisly interior. For goodness sake just get on the blower to Taylors. Another gripe was the tannoy system. Deafening loud noise, supposedly music played at half time. Advice to the match day announcer, please turn it down a notch and play something decent that we can actually appreciate.
As for the game, no question we were second best today, but still reasons to be hopeful. Boro were a well drilled outfit who passed the ball around really well and didn’t lack in strength and pace. For my money better than Rochdale and better than the vast majority of teams we will face this season.
Wheater had an excellent game and lasted the 90 minutes and is forming a formidable partnership with Lawlor. Sukar had a very tidy game at left back and looks a decent player to me. Beck did well up front as a loan striker in the first half and similarly Hazel in the second half. Hazel managed to score again and has now scored in all 4 preseason games. Maddison is clearly struggling for fitness, but looked a bit more at home today. He looked knackered at half time and not surprisingly was subbed. Lambert came on for him in the second half and looked lively.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:47 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:27 pm
Not sure how strong that Middlesbrough team was but they played us off the park. On the other hand, the football was much better than the pies!
Beaten by a very strong Boro side that gave us very good workout which is what these games are all about.We were made to work hard but “played off the park” is way off the mark.
Hope AA has kept all their names because every one of them would be a good loan prospect.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:56 pm

Thought the boro no 6 controlled the game and would like to see him on loan, no idea of his name but made it look so easy.

Thought with Hazel and Lambert in second half we looked much more threatening and thought rivers had a decent game. All 3 to start for me. Maddison is clearly a gamble and cannot doubt his pedigree but looks a long way at moment from being in the starting 11.

Still not sure 424 works that well for me as often, like today, leaves us outnumbered in midfield. Is it Beck and Hazel together or a choice of one of them. No doubting that Hazel looks like a goal scorer though, could have had a few again today against good opposition and looks a great signing.

All conjecture though as friendlies as we know are not the best to indicate how we are likely to play. Miles ahead of where we were this time last year though.

petenita

Post by petenita » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:01 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
I’ve been at football grounds for the last 40 years, that’s got to be the worst pie and chips ever, I can’t believe the food has actually got worse!

Mission Impossible

Post by Mission Impossible » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:13 pm

The score?

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:20 pm

Quakerlad wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:56 pm
Thought the boro no 6 controlled the game and would like to see him on loan, no idea of his name but made it look so easy.

Thought with Hazel and Lambert in second half we looked much more threatening and thought rivers had a decent game. All 3 to start for me. Maddison is clearly a gamble and cannot doubt his pedigree but looks a long way at moment from being in the starting 11.

Still not sure 424 works that well for me as often, like today, leaves us outnumbered in midfield. Is it Beck and Hazel together or a choice of one of them. No doubting that Hazel looks like a goal scorer though, could have had a few again today against good opposition and looks a great signing.

All conjecture though as friendlies as we know are not the best to indicate how we are likely to play. Miles ahead of where we were this time last year though.
All about opinions of course but I thought we lined up as a 4231 with maddison playing in a bit of a free role , and Mondal and Rivers wide with Beck up top on his own

At times that gap between Beck and the other 3 was too big

I also thought Rivers was poor , no end product and continually hit the first man with every cross or overran the ball and had it taken off him. One thing you can’t doubt though is his work rate , he gives everything he has that’s for sure

Boro did play a really strong side with 7/8 players who were on the bench last night for the 1st team. The 4 strikers that played today (Colburn, Finch 1st half , then replaced by Kavanagh, Folorin in the 2nd half) are really good players. Their midfield was strong and athletic and Robinson and Hannah in defence look very capable.

I’d be more than happy to take 2 or 3 of those on loan if it was possible

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:10 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:04 pm
Another gripe was the tannoy system. Deafening loud noise, supposedly music played at half time. Advice to the match day announcer, please turn it down a notch
Last week V Rochdale it was like this :thumbdown: painfully loud in the Tinshed.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:51 pm

petenita wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:01 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:
I’ve been at football grounds for the last 40 years, that’s got to be the worst pie and chips ever, I can’t believe the food has actually got worse!
Went into the bar just before halftime feeling a bit peckish and stood behind one of the stewards who ordered a cheeseburger and I was shocked at what they came up with.A dry bun,a burger that looked like an ice hockey puck and a slice of cold cheese.Thought better of it and left.Hope DJ hasn’t dropped a bollock with his catering tie in.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:40 pm

I hope the people complaining on here about food issues and loud tannoy noise are going to make their views known officially by emailing the club. I'm not doubting your comments at all but don't think there'll be improvements if you just post it here. Customer feedbacks important.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:57 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:40 pm
I hope the people complaining on here about food issues and loud tannoy noise are going to make their views known officially by emailing the club. I'm not doubting your comments at all but don't think there'll be improvements if you just post it here. Customer feedbacks important.
Fair comment but if the food doesn’t improve there will be no need for feedback, because people will just vote with their feet and not buy it.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:27 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
I have done but I doubt there’s much that can be done on our side.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:31 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
I’m sure this board gets a look over by club hierarchy- some of them post on here.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:42 pm

CrazyDarlo wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:27 pm
don'tbuythesun wrote:
Why not? We have a contract with them to provide food to an agreed standard surely?

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:41 pm

bga wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:42 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:27 pm
don'tbuythesun wrote:
Why not? We have a contract with them to provide food to an agreed standard surely?
I don’t have the answers to that but we’ve been there over 5 years and it’s getting worse not better, I’m sure we’ve tried. They’re likely to be even less arsed about us as a move away gets closer.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:43 am

How do you objectively prescribe and assess the 'standard' of food within a legal contract?

Were we involved in the new catering deal?
Emdubya wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:51 pm
Hope DJ hasn’t dropped a bollock with his catering tie in.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:40 am

The catering is being monitored our board aren't stupid they will know that catering is abysmal yes they do read the fans comments.in this case it's blatantly obvious that the standard has to improve 100% either that or lose all sales of food at the match .

bga

Post by bga » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:09 am

lo36789 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:43 am
How do you objectively prescribe and assess the 'standard' of food within a legal contract?

Emdubya wrote:
See the club announcement of course "WE" were involved in the deal?
I was involved once with a Club where we employed a Chef and you can stipulate in the contract the quality of the ingredients to be used, portion sizes and presentation of the food. So it can be done.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:46 am

Lets not forget that is not just our fans who have to put up with the poor standards in the catering, but away fans who may have traveled a long way and be looking forward to a gastronomic treat. It doesn’t reflect well on our club, regardless of who actually does the catering.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:39 am

Not forgetting the Rugby Club's own membership and Away teams as well. I am assuming they have a contract for their own catering and haven't sub contracted out to a different caterer!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:53 am

Emdubya wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:47 pm
CrazyDarlo wrote:
Beaten by a very strong Boro side that gave us very good workout which is what these games are all about.We were made to work hard but “played off the park” is way off the mark.
Hope AA has kept all their names because every one of them would be a good loan prospect.
Spot on,listening to AA’s post match interview he has already spoken to Craig Liddle about the availability of some of the Boro lads. Some very decent prospects amongst them and the benefit for Boro is they could continue to train at Rockcliffe and play for us without any difficulties.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:28 pm

bga wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:09 am
lo36789 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:43 am

Emdubya wrote:
See the club announcement of course "WE" were involved in the deal?
I was involved once with a Club where we employed a Chef and you can stipulate in the contract the quality of the ingredients to be used, portion sizes and presentation of the food. So it can be done.
Out of interest what objective parameters did you use for each of those things. Did you go with a schedule which listed menu item by menu item?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:44 pm

The objective parameter of Silver Service Lo?

Atmosphere is important.
Pies should look appetising and burgers not to look like an ice hockey puck.
Temperature of the plates are either cooled or heated due the type of food being served and in guidelines with the Chef’s requirements.
Plates are served and cleared from the left side.
Water and wine glasses remain on the table throughout the entire meal. As guests will have their own preferences on wines/beverages drunk. Only the sherry glass is removed.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:53 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Out of interest what objective parameters did you use for each of those things. Did you go with a schedule which listed menu item by menu item?
If you run a restaurant and all your customers provide negative feedback on food quality and price, that would be a clear indicator the product is substandard. Unless you’re arrogant enough to dismiss all that negative feedback as customers being unreasonable.

Try looking at the food that was served up yesterday. The pictures online are really bad and the feedback is universally that the food was abysmal.

I try not to comment on food as I think some fans get unnecessarily wound up over a side-issue but after the club made a big deal out of the new catering arrangements, seeing what was served up yesterday is appalling and insulting to supporters, who are being charged over the odds anyway.

£4 for a burger that resembles an ice hockey puck, in a dry bread bun with some cheap looking cheese on top is not acceptable by anyone’s judgement.

Those are your “objective parameters” and hopefully both the football club and rugby club act on them.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

bga

Post by bga » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:33 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:53 pm
lo36789 wrote:
If you run a restaurant and all your customers provide negative feedback on food quality and price, that would be a clear indicator the product is substandard. Unless you’re arrogant enough to dismiss all that negative feedback as customers being unreasonable.

Try looking at the food that was served up yesterday. The pictures online are really bad and the feedback is universally that the food was abysmal.

I try not to comment on food as I think some fans get unnecessarily wound up over a side-issue but after the club made a big deal out of the new catering arrangements, seeing what was served up yesterday is appalling and insulting to supporters, who are being charged over the odds anyway.

£4 for a burger that resembles an ice hockey puck, in a dry bread bun with some cheap looking cheese on top is not acceptable by anyone’s judgement.

Those are your “objective parameters” and hopefully both the football club and rugby club act on them.
Couldn't have put it better myself Gramps thanks.